Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Buy a new Polaris Sportsman 1000S or new Yamaha Grizzly XT-R?

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
(deleted)

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
What are big miles to you?

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
153 Posts
What are big miles to you?
Depends where in my state I'm riding. Around home (s. Maine) a 100 mile day would be a workout because all the trails are rocky, rooted, and tight. Speeds down here probably average 10mph or so unless you really wanna beat on your machine.

Far enough to northern Maine where people sound Canadian and all there is for work is cutting trees or picking potatoes though... a 5-600 mile day wouldn't be totally unreasonable.

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
So you have to plan a long day just before the potatoes are ready, but can run old logging roads, or public roads from town to town, and not have to carry all the gas required for one of these long day rides?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Depends where in my state I'm riding. Around home (s. Maine) a 100 mile day would be a workout because all the trails are rocky, rooted, and tight. Speeds down here probably average 10mph or so unless you really wanna beat on your machine.

Far enough to northern Maine where people sound Canadian and all there is for work is cutting trees or picking potatoes though... a 5-600 mile day wouldn't be totally unreasonable.
500 to 600 miles in one days is totally unreasonable. You can't run 60mph/100kph continuously all day. First of all that's logging roads and such, no fuel stations, so you have to carry it with you, absolutely at those speeds, hi rpm, you use lots of fuel. I grew up in New Brunswick, just across the northern Maine boarder, that's my stomping grounds. A long day is over 300 to 400 km so like 180 to 300 miles. Your doing well to put that on in a full 10 to 12 hr day.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
500 to 600 miles in one days is totally unreasonable. You can't run 60mph/100kph continuously all day. First of all that's logging roads and such, no fuel stations, so you have to carry it with you, absolutely at those speeds, hi rpm, you use lots of fuel. I grew up in New Brunswick, just across the northern Maine boarder, that's my stomping grounds. A long day is over 300 to 400 km so like 180 to 300 miles. Your doing well to put that on in a full 10 to 12 hr day.

I'm a fellow new brunswicker and I travel through Maine all the time , I am sitting in Medway Maine right now and no one really sounds canadian but they are friendly like maritimers! 500 to 600 mi a day some one joking around....what would you be driving the space shuttle? As for the souped up can ams and polaris machines, they contribute to having costlier insurance and negative feedback from citizens using public trails...the speed is there and disaster usually follows , we see it time and time again home...the trail system is not a nascar track...if you want to go like hell....get a street bike or corvette....

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm living in Northern Ontario now. But I take my bike back to NB every summer for 2 weeks. Except last summer.... Damn covid

I do a few good day long rides with old friends and my nephew. Not easy to fit a years worth of missed trips into 2 weeks. Lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
My area is rail bed and logging roads with lots of road to open up the big twin and surprisingly I get better gas mileage than my grizzly. Insurance on my can am is the same price as the grizzly. I cruise between 80-110 km’s hour no problem with the can am but can’t with the grizzly because I don’t think motor will handle the high rpm for long period of time, twins do have it’s perks, but the grizzly does shine in the tight slow trails, but the can am still can go anywhere the grizzly goes

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Life flight usually follows after somebody travels 80-110 kms on rail beds, logging roads maybe but why? 80-110kms on 4-6 psi of air is just asking for trouble and puts everybody else on the trail at risk, I have seen a few seriously injured and sadly a fatality because of it, big power has their place but not on user friendly marked trails.

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
153 Posts

Logging/potato roads or not, riding IS riding. We stayed in st agatha when we were up there, and there certainly wasn't a shortage of places to fill up before we ran out, even running WOT for what seemed like all day lol.

You do have more seat time up there than I though, so yeah perhaps 5-600 is a bit much. I have no doubts that when we go back this year we'll get a 400 mile day in. Looking at the GPS track statistics from last year, we did more standing around taking breaks during the day than actual riding lol, we were only out of the cabin for about 8 hours, and still managed a couple hundred miles a day. If myself and my buddy (mostly my buddy) can get our damn passengers to want less half hour long barley pop breaks every 30-40 miles well be in good shape!

If you make it to n.b this year and crossing the border is a thing again im totally down to drive up and ride!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Logging/potato roads or not, riding IS riding. We stayed in st agatha when we were up there, and there certainly wasn't a shortage of places to fill up before we ran out, even running WOT for what seemed like all day lol.

You do have more seat time up there than I though, so yeah perhaps 5-600 is a bit much. I have no doubts that when we go back this year we'll get a 400 mile day in. Looking at the GPS track statistics from last year, we did more standing around taking breaks during the day than actual riding lol, we were only out of the cabin for about 8 hours, and still managed a couple hundred miles a day. If myself and my buddy (mostly my buddy) can get our damn passengers to want less half hour long barley pop breaks every 30-40 miles well be in good shape!

If you make it to n.b this year and crossing the border is a thing again im totally down to drive up and ride!
Got to ask . Am in the UK what is WOT ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Life flight usually follows after somebody travels 80-110 kms on rail beds, logging roads maybe but why? 80-110kms on 4-6 psi of air is just asking for trouble and puts everybody else on the trail at risk, I have seen a few seriously injured and sadly a fatality because of it, big power has their place but not on user friendly marked trails.
Exactly! As one of my buddy says....were going out to have fun, not get hurt🤕

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
Long day rides aren't for everyone, sometimes due to the trail location, or possibly rider skill level.
When long rides are well planned, traveling through areas that allow this, these days create long lasting memories.
I consider these type of rides a full test of a well prepared machine and the rider(s) ability.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not everyone likes too ride fast but I’ve been doing it for 30+ years why stop now. I do use common sense when I drive and slow down at corners, I might see one or two people all day when I’m out it is pretty remote area but when I’m on marked trails I don’t drive fast, need to follow the rules. On a side note I never ever drink and drive

·
Registered
639 Posts

That would definitely be a good trip, i stay at my budfies house, it's 45 min drive from the Holton ME/Woodstock NB boarder. But about an hour and a half on the bikes in the woods puts us to a spot probably 15-20 min from the boarder where you could unload and safe to leave your truck. Even for that matter, if you were worried about leaving a vehicle, i would give directions to my EX'S parent's place. It's a big farm, lots of trails run across the back fields. We could all meet up there, unload and go for a rip. There is a great snowmobile/atv club in the area that upkeeps the trail system year round. As long as your bike is licened and insured, trail cops can't bother you there unless we were on the provincial trsil, but we always avoid that for my sake. My Ontario plates and insurance cover me for the rest of the trails, I'm not buying a trail pasd just to run the old rail bed when there are countless trails around it, and they are more fun she better scenery.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Long day rides aren't for everyone, sometimes due to the trail location, or possibly rider skill level.
When long rides are well planned, traveling through areas that allow this, these days create long lasting memories.
I consider these type of rides a full test of a well prepared machine and the rider(s) ability.
Exactly right. Most people not that familiar with the sport don't realize how taxing on the body and machine, a long day is.
Most think it's easy to just sit on a bike and drive.
It is actually physically demanding, and in trickier spots, it can get mentally straining trying to pick the right line to stay upright.
8+ hours, you feel it, but I've done a few 18 to 20 hr rides and I'm literally beat at the end. Sit down, eat, have one or 2 wobbly pops and then I'm out cold sawing logs in lala land. Lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
I absolutely agree. On multi-day trips, I often do 80-120 miles per day, and do that for 3-5 days straight. The schedule is generally "get up, eat, break camp, rideuntil lunch, eat lunch, ride until evening, set up camp."

After a few days of that, I'm pretty done for... but the memories are amazing.

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
153 Posts
That would definitely be a good trip, i stay at my budfies house, it's 45 min drive from the Holton ME/Woodstock NB boarder. But about an hour and a half on the bikes in the woods puts us to a spot probably 15-20 min from the boarder where you could unload and safe to leave your truck. Even for that matter, if you were worried about leaving a vehicle, i would give directions to my EX'S parent's place. It's a big farm, lots of trails run across the back fields. We could all meet up there, unload and go for a rip. There is a great snowmobile/atv club in the area that upkeeps the trail system year round. As long as your bike is licened and insured, trail cops can't bother you there unless we were on the provincial trsil, but we always avoid that for my sake. My Ontario plates and insurance cover me for the rest of the trails, I'm not buying a trail pasd just to run the old rail bed when there are countless trails around it, and they are more fun she better scenery.

I'm not stressed about where to leave the truck. Some of the trailheads we regularly park at are right next to pretty meth-y looking run down trailer parks :ROFLMAO: if I'm alright there, I'm sure I'll be OK in the most polite country in north America 🇨🇦🇨🇦 lol

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm not stressed about where to leave the truck. Some of the trailheads we regularly park at are right next to pretty meth-y looking run down trailer parks if I'm alright there, I'm sure I'll be OK in the most polite country in north America lol
Only problem parking at my ex's parents place, we would all leave with a full belly of home cooked food.... I know.. Sounds horrible

41 - 60 of 76 Posts