Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Buy a new Polaris Sportsman 1000S or new Yamaha Grizzly XT-R?

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
153 Posts
Only problem parking at my ex's parents place, we would all leave with a full belly of home cooked food.... I know.. Sounds horrible

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Ah jeeze yeah.. just the thought is making me uncomfortable hahaha.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you have the money to buy a 15k atv does it really matter how reliable it is? Buy the Sportsman for 15k and buy an extended warranty.
Yes, it does. Because a warranty doesn't get you home if you're out in the middle of nowhere and you break down.

And if your ATV spends 10 months a year in the shop - even if it's all covered under warranty - how do you enjoy riding it?

Reactions: RansomP

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Yes, it does. Because a warranty doesn't get you home if you're out in the middle of nowhere and you break down.

And if your ATV spends 10 months a year in the shop - even if it's all covered under warranty - how do you enjoy riding it?
You're trying to make a logical argument with someone who's wanting to buy a $15,000 ATV. Theirs no logical argument for buying a 15k high performing ATV unless you want the most high performing ATV on the market. If the buyer was concerned about reliability they'd purchase a Honda Foreman, Suzuki King Quad or a Grizzly. When buying high performance stuff its always going to be pay to play. A warranty gives peace of mind. Maybe there's warranty claim and they have a great dealer and the claim is handled quickly. To many hypotheticals. Again if you have the money to buy a 15K atv theirs a good chance you can buy something else while its in the shop for 10 months.

I've owned Yamaha, Polaris and Honda machines. I've ridden several places in several states out in the middle of nowhere and never been stranded (even in a Polaris), but I maintain my machines and for the most part don't drive like a nut. Its the responsibility of the rider to properly maintain their machine to mitigate failures. Accidents and parts can break on anything mechanical whether they're a POPO or a Yamaha. Breakdowns in general usually come down to improper maintenance or rider error.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You're trying to make a logical argument with someone who's wanting to buy a $15,000 ATV. Theirs no logical argument for buying a 15k high performing ATV unless you want the most high performing ATV on the market. If the buyer was concerned about reliability they'd purchase a Honda Foreman, Suzuki King Quad or a Grizzly. When buying high performance stuff its always going to be pay to play. A warranty gives peace of mind. Maybe there's warranty claim and they have a great dealer and the claim is handled quickly. To many hypotheticals. Again if you have the money to buy a 15K atv theirs a good chance you can buy something else while its in the shop for 10 months.

I've owned Yamaha, Polaris and Honda machines. I've ridden several places in several states out in the middle of nowhere and never been stranded (even in a Polaris), but I maintain my machines and for the most part don't drive like a nut. Its the responsibility of the rider to properly maintain their machine to mitigate failures. Accidents and parts can break on anything mechanical whether they're a POPO or a Yamaha. Breakdowns in general usually come down to improper maintenance or rider error.
^^^^^^ This! ^^^^^

·
Registered
140 Posts
Have to point out where not talking about a sportsman. The sportsman s touch wood doesn't seem to be suffering from any big issues

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Have to point out where not talking about a sportsman. The sportsman s touch wood doesn't seem to be suffering from any big issues

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Yep, I understand we're talking about a Sportsman S. I'm not sure what the sportsman s touch wood model is? LOL! Again the original post asked if it were a value? Its all about what a personal values. If a person values power, ground clearance, ride quality and having the top of the line atv I'm sure thats what I'd buy. But if you value physical size, weight (the sportsman S basically weighs 1000 pounds with no rider), reliability and price I don't think the sportsman S would be at the top of the list.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I’ve owned 2 polaris atv’s, brute 750, Honda rancher, kodiak 450, rzr 1000s and canam x3 the last 9 years (kodiak and rancher were for my kid). I have put over 8000 miles in west va trails during this time and our riding group consists of grizzlies, polaris, canam, Suzuki...guess what...they all have issues! Here are my opinions fwiw:

Polaris and canam are the best riding and most powerful when comparing apples to apples (there is just no argument to the contrary here imo). However bushings and bearings are toast at 1000 miles in all of my canams and Polaris’s (need aftermarket ones to last thousands of miles). Sometimes belt issues with both polaris and CanAm. My 850 sportsman was the best all around atv I’ve ever driven...for the first 1000 miles. Buddies canam renegade 1000 was a monster. Rough and hard to handle. Just a beast. Broke down all the time too. My rzr 1000 was good and my x3 turbo had been exceptional for the last 3400 miles, but I have a TON of mods to it to beef up week areas. Canams generally are a pita to work on also..simple thing like an oil change is much more pita than any grizzly or Honda I’ve worked on

brute force is subject to over heating and terrible ride quality due to suspect suspension geometry.....Elkas help a lot

Honda ranchers - electrical issues with the auto tranny and over heating - plastics are great quality and they are tough as nails

Yamaha kodiak - really disappointed in this. Cheap plastic, not put together well. Terrible airbox design...That is being sold as we speak

Suzuki king quad - maybe the toughest machine in our group. Had been through countless rollovers, one mishap over the side of a cliff 150ft down a wooded mountain in west va, and it keeps on going. Incredibly tough machine but has serious handling and steering issues (over turns corners and ticks the wheel in)

Grizzlies - 3 in our group (each with at least 3000 hard, aggressive miles on them). Generally tough but numerous issues of melting plastics due to poor design, numerous broken racks, air filter box design issues (these are 2011-2016 models). The newer models seem far better...wider and longer stance also...gas tank to the rear..I might actually pick up a 2021 eps grizzly for my son this week. I was set on a Honda rubicon for him but I want to ride it a bit too and the Honda is pretty under powered.

Bottom line, I think most brands are solid, some certainly do some things better than others...I just can’t bring myself to buy another polaris especially when my kid will be bashing it and he doesn’t need 75-90hp (they are fun though). Not to mention electrical issues....my rzr had at least 5-6 recalls for fire hazards etc....

Japan = reliability imo...Canam and polaris = more power and comfort but less reliable and bigger pita (canam) to work on. Parts seem to west out faster also...likely due to heavier weight and greater power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
273 Posts
Generally tough but numerous issues of melting plastics due to poor design, numerous broken racks, air filter box design issues (these are 2011-2016 models).
Just curious what were the issues with the 2011 model year?
Japan = reliability imo...
2011 last year made in Japan, haven't had any issues so far at 10,000+ miles with my 2011 Grizzly.
Only break downs of others on the trail that I've seen were Polaris branded, towed out a SXS once due to a broken belt, which had just been replaced.
I'm thinking some Polaris models are made in Mexico.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Something I don't think that was covered in this thread is the Width. That Polaris is 55" wide which is great for hauling the mail but it wont get down many quad trails legally. Right off the top of my head I can think of a 1/2 dozen trails it wouldn't make it down at all as I can barely fit between the tree's on my Grizzly

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah some people don't consider this and get mad when they realize they can't legally ride at the Wayne National Forest where I ride. They keep complaining that the US Forest service should widen the trails for them. Most of us like them just the way they are. I care not to meet one of these machines head on coming around a blind corner. I'm not completely sure but I think all the US National Forest Trails have a 50" width limit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just curious what were the issues with the 2011 model year?

2011 last year made in Japan, haven't had any issues so far at 10,000+ miles with my 2011 Grizzly.
Only break downs of others on the trail that I've seen were Polaris branded, towed out a SXS once due to a broken belt, which had just been replaced.
I'm thinking some Polaris models are made in Mexico.
The 2011 in our group broke a couple of axles as well as a cv cup. Bushings and bearings still tight. It’s been the toughest one out of all the grizzlies.

The 2013 and 2014 (?? I think those years...they might be 2014-2016?) have had several issues with racks breaking off (aggressive riding in west va with a Yamaha box full of gear on the back). Air box issues..sucking dirt, bad design imo. Also melting plastics front left inner fender because of a terrible design on Yamaha’s part routing the exhaust header there. Several broken ball joints also

We have towed every machine in our group out of the mountains broken at one time or another. All brands. I will say the only time my x3 needed limped back was when my fan motor seized up and I had to baby it back 20 miles or so. But we have towed or left every other machine and got a trailer for them except the king quad...that thing is tough as nails imo. Too bad the steering geometry is terrible as it still over steers.

I meant Japanese manufacturers vs canam and polaris. I wasn’t sure when they moved assembly to Georgia? They aren’t manufactured here are they? I thought just built here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yeah some people don't consider this and get mad when they realize they can't legally ride at the Wayne National Forest where I ride. They keep complaining that the US Forest service should widen the trails for them. Most of us like them just the way they are. I care not to meet one of these machines head on coming around a blind corner. I'm not completely sure but I think all the US National Forest Trails have a 50" width limit.
You are correct. All National Forest is 50" wide as is most states trail systems. A lot of trials I ride are barely 48" and sometimes I have to back up once or twice to get it square to the tree's that I am trying to get through.

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
Widen trails for all, like making every business owner install handicap access ramps.....there are two sides to every argument and legislation by government idiots at the state or federal capitol will not work. My buddy closed a restaurant over this, so wait for the government to close the trails over this type of thing too. Just give the government an excuse to be safe and close the forest due to the expense of an upgrade.
OK, I'm not trying to start something here but in this area the reason the damn gates are there is there are sections not wide enough, no room for a wider machine, on the cliff/ledge behind the gate.
Hell, lets make every trail wide enough, and smooth enough, for an 80' semi-tractor trailer......then Yamaha will not need to have the 4x4 feature on these Grizzlys, and we'll all save a lot of money, if the government leaves the trails open.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I had 3 options. Buy a new XT-R and keep it stock. Keep my 2011 and give it a "face lift". Buy a Sportsman 1000S. In the end I gave my 2011 (with only 60 hours on it) a facelift with the following accessories. They all arrive within the next month and Ill post how I like the new setup after I have had some saddle time:

1) Elk Stage 3 all the way around (~$1,500)
2) DWT .190 wheels (~$450). Don't love the looks, but these were closest to stock rim weights while still adding some strength and providing the 5+2 offset that will get me an inch+ wider in the stance for greater stability.
3) Bighorn 2.0 tires front and back. I kept stock 25" height as to keep the motor and clutch stock. (~$500)
4) Rox complete handle bar rise kit. (~$175)
5) Odi 120mm lock grips (~$25)
6) K&N air filter (~$60)

In the end, when you trade something in you get cut a bit, and you also have to pay taxes on the new value. While not cheap, all these upgrades were in line with what I would lose in a trade scenario and based on all the research I have done with these 6 upgrades the older 2011 Grizzly will be a fantastic machine. I also have seen quite a bit of info that the 2011 model year specifically was a great one for the Grizzly. Had no clue when I bought it new back then, but good to know now. Its been maintenance free but I have put no hours on it.

Thanks to the GC crowd for all their input.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I had 3 options. Buy a new XT-R and keep it stock. Keep my 2011 and give it a "face lift". Buy a Sportsman 1000S. In the end I gave my 2011 (with only 60 hours on it) a facelift with the following accessories. They all arrive within the next month and Ill post how I like the new setup after I have had some saddle time:

1) Elk Stage 3 all the way around (~$1,500)
2) DWT .190 wheels (~$450). Don't love the looks, but these were closest to stock rim weights while still adding some strength and providing the 5+2 offset that will get me an inch+ wider in the stance for greater stability.
3) Bighorn 2.0 tires front and back. I kept stock 25" height as to keep the motor and clutch stock. (~$500)
4) Rox complete handle bar rise kit. (~$175)
5) Odi 120mm lock grips (~$25)
6) K&N air filter (~$60)

In the end, when you trade something in you get cut a bit, and you also have to pay taxes on the new value. While not cheap, all these upgrades were in line with what I would lose in a trade scenario and based on all the research I have done with these 6 upgrades the older 2011 Grizzly will be a fantastic machine. I also have seen quite a bit of info that the 2011 model year specifically was a great one for the Grizzly. Had no clue when I bought it new back then, but good to know now. Its been maintenance free but I have put no hours on it.

Thanks to the GC crowd for all their input.
There is more upgraders you can do if you want to or maybe you already have them?? A coop45 machined sheave, EHS fuel controller and intake mod would be the ones I would look at. JMHO.

·
Registered
273 Posts
61 - 76 of 76 Posts