Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums a bit and didn't find anything like this so I'll start off by saying I have a 2017 with 1,340 miles on it and today I was slowing down to change from low to high, well when I came to a stop so did the engine. This has never happened to me before, so I decided to sit for a moment and process it and when I went to restart it, it lunged as if the clutch was still engaged so I let off the starter and decided to push it down the hill a bit and then try, well it fired up after cranking for 3-4 seconds. I don't even know where to begin with this as I'm not too savvy with ATV style transmissions so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have no idea why it would lunge but my 17 has stalled from time to time as well. I have a sneaky suspicion the fuel map has a lot to do with it.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Sounds weird but next time it does it try putting it in neutral before you start it to see if that helps , it would eliminate the cvt as an issue.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Your oneway bearing jammed. It's real name is called a Sprag Clutch. It's what gives the Yamaha's their engine braking. When they jam, they'll stall your engine when stopped or cause the bike to jump when put into gear.

If it has let go now, do not think it is fixed. This usually means the oneway bearing is starting to fail and it will happen again at some point. When the oneway bearing really wears out, you'll lose all engine braking. It will just free wheel.

Reactions: jvictory1974

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
Tell us about your oil, how many miles had you ridden and what the temperature was outside.

Most fuel injected, CVT Grizzlies will lunge a bit when started in gear if the brake is not held tight. At least of the ones I have owned.
My 708's do stall maybe once in 8-900 miles without any reason that I have been able to pinpoint. Although it does seem to happen when making a Y turn or shifting into a different gear. Mmmm, that make me think could there be a spot in the shifter switching the is grounding out for a moment?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I run Rotella T6, and I had only ridden about a mile, I was heading out to one of the fields to see if it had flooded from recent rainfall, I'd had it in low to get up the hill and when I'd reached the straight was going to put it in high so I could cruise a little faster and it decided it didn't like that idea and shut off

1 - 7 of 7 Posts