Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far only had very limited rides. Can't wait to see what it can really do once it's broken it. As of now there are only 4 hours on it.

I have experience an issue with low speed maneuvering - it stalls. It will back fire through the intake and shut right off. It does start right back up and off I go for a bit and then it will happen again.
Any ideas - sparkplug? Running lean? Someone suggested having the dealer enter CO mode and turning the setting to 15 from 0. Any thoughts? Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I would first video record the bike doing it.....and make sure it's multiple times. Then bring it back to dealer for warranty to fix it.

The new Yamaha atv's are all running on the lean side. This is because of strict emissions requirements. Yours might be too lean and is causing your stalling issue.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am on a Grizzly, but have had stalling issues when doing low speed maneuvering, sometimes I can sense it and will give it a little gas before it cuts off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did you ever remedy the stalling issue? My 2016 Kodiak EPS SE is doing the same. While I was plowing snow this weekend it would occasionally cut out mainly when stopped and switching gears from fwd to rev. Wasn't sure if it was maybe from me winching the plow up at the same time. Let me know if you got yours fixed and what the fix was thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not exactly

I took it in to the dealer but as expected they told me they didn't find anything wrong (since they weren't the selling dealer they were happy to collect $55.00 from me).

I have not ridden much lately but have almost 100 miles/20 hrs on it now and will say that it seems to be stalling a lot less frequently. I was trail riding about a month ago and had it stall twice (at the time of my original post it would have been 7 times). More recently I've been plowing snow and in the 5 or 6 times I did it only stalled once. I would feel much better with 0 but hopefully it will continue to improve as it breaks in.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too am having the stall and stumble at slow maneuvering speeds, I have put a 2R tip on and I took it to the dealer and as one of you said that they are putting them from 0-15 stock so they put mine to from 0-20 to compensate for the tip and it still does it.
So if anybody finds a fix please post back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have recently bought a 2016 grizzly 700. A friend of mine also bought a 2016 kodiak 700. We both went out this past sunday to slowly break them in. We both had stall issues at slow speeds or at idle when changing gears. We rode for 5 hours and my grizzly stalled about ten times or more through out the day. Especially when it was hot or up to temp. I went and talked to the dealership yesterday and they told me they have had a few come back with this problem. They said it could be to big of a spark plug gap , or the tps sensor needs to be adjusted. I do know these machines run very lean to meet emissions. I know by watching dyno results that there dangerously lean. I think im going to invest in a tuner to keep the fuel levels proper thru the whole rpm range. I will repost after i get my machine back from the dealer. Hope fully they fix it and it will help you know whats wrong with yours! Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had same problem with 2016 grizzly, check my post
Sorry im new to the forum, i looked at your post. What was the out come? Did you get it fixed? I dropped mine off at the dealership today , they said it could be the wrong gap on the spark plug, the tps, or a lean condition and they said they will adjust for more fuel. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully the dealer will find a solution to the stall. Mine is still stalling occasionally....kind of nerve racking when your going up a hill and it stalls when you let off the throttle momentarily.
Please post back any findings.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The dealer called . They said the spark plug gap was to big, and it was running lean so they re mapped the computer to richen it up. They said alot of the kodiaks and grizzlys come from the factory like this.i will pick it up and hopefully get out this weekend. I will report back !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, I have 2016 Grizzly with same problem, sometimes it dies especially after riding 2-3 hours when the engine is hot, my dealer change the sparks but it didn't help. I have 170 miles and 42 hours, sometimes it does sometime doesn't. That's why I spend $530 for 4 year extended warranty Y.E.S

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
You can add me to the list. 2016 Grizzly with 170 Miles. It stalls during slow speed maneuvering. I'm curious to see if those with an EHS tuner have remedied the issue. I think it is too lean. My 550 did the same thing when I had a 2R tip.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
No stalling issues with low speed riding and no stalling issues with cold starts. With ~ 85 miles.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
In 4000 miles mine has stalled like 3 times , twice crawling though the bush and once coming to a stop at a stop sign ( on the road ) . Does not happen very often so I don't worry about it , push button start and continue on .

·
Registered
7 Posts
They put a new spark plug in and made sure the gap was in spec. It was to big of a gap before and they remapped the computer to run more rich. This is all warranty work. The fuel mixture from the factory is to lean to meet emissions. Some people dont mind the stalling, but if u payed for a new machine why would u put up with stalling.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts