Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!! I own a 2016 Grizz. The starter is starting to make a strange sound. When I first start it in the AM it makes a loud metal on metal squeal but fires right up. The noise is still there the rest of the day just not as sever. I've never owned a Grizz before so is this normal with age (a tad over 5000 km) is there any thing I can do to avoid a new starter? This is keeping me close to home with the wheeler since walking home dosent really suit me !LOL!

·
Registered
370 Posts
You mention that the noise is still there throughout the day but less severe. While it's running? If you can still hear it after starting, it might not be the starter. Maybe your starter one way assembly. On which side of the engine does the noise come from? I'm no expert, just trying to help pinpoint the problem. The real mechanics out there will chime in soon.

Gaspésie... Beautiful area!

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Most noises coming from the starter are not usually caused by the starter motor itself. Its usually the starter clutch.
The starter clutch can and does wears out. It's basically a sprag clutch, aka: oneway bearing. As they wear, the start to slip. This slipping can cause a metal on metal noise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mention that the noise is still there throughout the day but less severe. While it's running? If you can still hear it after starting, it might not be the starter. Maybe your starter one way assembly. On which side of the engine does the noise come from? I'm no expert, just trying to help pinpoint the problem. The real mechanics out there will chime in soon.

Gaspésie... Beautiful area!

The noise is kinda scratchy squeely even on shut down the noise persisists for a sec or two after start-up AFTER I let off the start button, it seems to be from the middle of the bike, and no not while running.

YES the coast IS gorgeous!! THANX!!:wink2:

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
The noise is kinda scratchy squeely even on shut down the noise persisists for a sec or two after start-up AFTER I let off the start button, it seems to be from the middle of the bike, and no not while running.

YES the coast IS gorgeous!! THANX!!:wink2:
Thats classic signs of a failing starter clutch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts