Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know when turning on the key to give it a few seconds to prime the fuel rail before hitting the start button . A friends brother in law with an Artic Cat hits the start button immediately when he turns the key on . Buddy told him he ought to wait until fuel pump cycles . He will not do it ? What can happen ?

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
Depends.....
If someone grinds on the starter a long time with a hot battery, things can happen.
Eventually wear out a starter motor for nothing,
Drain the battery for no reason,

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I know when turning on the key to give it a few seconds to prime the fuel rail before hitting the start button . A friends brother in law with an Artic Cat hits the start button immediately when he turns the key on . Buddy told him he ought to wait until fuel pump cycles . He will not do it ? What can happen ?
Probably nothing....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well unless one has a fuel line leak or a bad pump the line and rail should have pressure in it at all times.

Reactions: tombauer

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Nothing will happen. Its is perfectly fine to press the starter button immediately if you like. It is also perfectly fine to wait a few seconds for the fuel pump to prime.

Reactions: reogem and Mccdan

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Go figure thought i read it was not good !
It’s no different than a car, as I said the fuel lines etc always have pressure in the line and makes no difference if you wait or hit the start first thing.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
It can make a difference on some Yamaha machines. If the fuel pump is weak, check valve injector leaking. Parking a very hot machine can boil the fuel in the lines and rail causing a slight vapor lock.
Not sure but it may take the ECM a second to receive and process all the data from the sensors. On my 19 the instrument panel initializing process with the key is turned on. Don't know if that means anything.
I find that on my to high mileage machines a 700 and 708 it absolutely makes a difference. Not so much on the 19

Arctic Cats have a different type throttle body that may make a difference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
should not matter unless something is worn. fuel system should hold pressure for days at least. even if it doesn't the fuel pressure should come up in milliseconds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do remember it was recommended on the Grizzly in cold weather to allow the fuel pump to cycle , mine will not start on the first try when cold . Still won,t even letting pump cycle . I did find this and copied it
The proper method to start any EFI engine in a car or a truck is to turn the ignition key to run and no farther. Wait for the fuel rail to prime, and when you hear the fuel pump relay shut off, continue into the crank mode. The proper sequence is run, wait, turn to crank. This will provide the quickest and most reliable starts regardless of how cold the weather is. If you bypass the two-second prime and go right into crank, the injectors are being pulsed when there is little to no fuel in the rail and the proper pressure then takes longer (more cranking time) to build.
When faced with a no-start condition or an extended crank cycle, your first diagnostic tool is your ear. Listen for the two-second prime. If you don’t hear it, then the fuel pump is not being activated and you need to see why. If you continue to crank the engine and either the oil pressure light goes out or the gauge begins to register and then it starts, most likely the fuel pump relay or circuit has an issue.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i let the fuel system come up to pressure on everything , motorcycle , Quad , SXS etc etc . I find everything starts quicker and easier !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts