Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

starting - engage brakes super hard?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  daloof 
#1 ·
Is it normal to have to squeeze the living hell out of the brakes to get the Grizz's started?

Sometimes I have to squeeze the brakes so hard I think I'm going to brake something to get her started... Just does not feel like the engineers intended it to.

If it is not normal, is it either a brake issue (bleed) or a starter solenoid, or maybe a CDI issue?

I might swell fix this while it's up on jacks & getting other issues fixed.

thx for any help.

#5 ·
Adjusted the brake, I should have thought of that... and it started up much easier.

However, after a 3 minute test drive, shut it off, then it wouldn't start & the gear lights on the dash would intermittently come on, sometimes not at all when i flipped it through the gears.

Then they came back on & it would start in neutral with neutral light on, wife took it for a spin & it just died in middle of nowhere.

Im assuming this is some sort of switch that is going bad?

#4 ·
After riding some very dusty trails my atv would not start while in gear (whether squeezing the brakes or not). I sprayed wd-40 in the tiny handle bar switches and it has been fine ever since. When I had this problem my brake light would not come on when squeezing the rear brake

Jim

Reactions: daloof
#6 ·
That maybe something with the gear selector switch check and clean the connections
Google "grizzly 660 gear selection switch" remove the quotes
There are several threads similar to your problem.

Reactions: daloof
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.