Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Starting issue !

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Lasvegas660 
#1 ·
Tried searching around before posting & didn't see anything. My bike makes a grinding sound when I hit the starter, it eventually ends up turning over and runs fine. Just startup. Here is a couple videos of the sound. 2006 grizzly 660. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
https://youtu.be/TuTInkCpBvo
https://youtu.be/G6L5uqBEHhw

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I've never been into the starter on an ATV, only cars and a Polaris RZR, but the concepts have always been the same so I will take a stab at these possibilities:
1. You may have a bad "bendix" or solenoid or whatever it is that engages the starter motor's gear into the teeth of the ring gear or flywheel. So it may be sort of trying to engage, but does not have enough oomph to shove the gear into place.
2. You may have a bad spot on the ring gear or flywheel.
3. You may have a bad gear on the starter motor.

Regardless, you will need to at least take the starter motor out and have a look. I suspect you're going to find chewed up teeth and metal bits in there, to start with. You'll probably find more damage when you dig deeper.
Thanks for the reply, So I forgot to mention that I replaced starter motor and starter solenoid, also I had the cover taken off and tried to start couldn't really notice any visible issues with the gear teeth.

What I was curious about is the one-way bearing,, it almost seems like its cranking over but slipping or not grabbing something to fully turn over. To sort of verify I was pulling the pull start and it didn't feel like it was slipping but I'm not very familiar with these type of failure. Tempted to just order one.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Hoping so, just trying to get an idea of where to start tearing into, if its the starter clutch area. Would much rather figure out the issue on my own instead of take it to Yamaha lol.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Hey...Lasvegas660..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.
Because it spins and spins but then eventually starts and runs good I'd say the starter oneway is toast. About $100.00 online.
Thanks! Glad I found this site, there is a lot of good info here. Going to order that pup and throw it on there. Will update once I do !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.