Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone....... New Here and I’ve posted my lame introduction and at 50yrs old I’m not sure what I should or shouldn’t post.

Either way, I’ve been working on my farm Grizz 700FI, 2009 and while I’m not a mechanic I know my way around tools. So after rebuilding my clutch with new weights and slides, I started it up and was going to ride it up the drive and back. It seemed to crank a little slower than normal but it started fine, went about 30ft and it died ( it hasn’t been started In a few weeks ). Went to restart it and the engine doesn’t turn over, but it does sound like the starter is turning but not engaging and spinning the engine over. I’ve read about many ma y starter issues on this forum over the past two nights but nothing about an issue like that.

anyone have any input? I do have a good and charged battery btw.

I appreciate you men and women on this site and you obviously know your way around an ATV and more. btw: I have a video of what it’s doing but can’t figure out how to post it here if it’s possible.

Thanks In Advance! John

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Your starter clutch is most likely gone a d is slipping. You will find lots of information on it.

Item #7

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that’s pretty much a starter replacement to repair the issue in your opinion?

im going to pull the starter off tomorrow hopefully and try and bench test it.

I appreciate your input greatly!

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
The starter motor and starter clutch are 2 completely different components in the starter system. Look at the picture I posted.
The clutch is located inside the left side engine covers, inside the flywheel.

If the starter motor spins but the engine doesn't, then the clutch is most likely slipping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Sir, I started looking at that picture late last night and didn’t post another reply when I figured out it was a separate mechanism. I do appreciate the follow up on this. John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts