Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a 2011 Kodiak 450 EPS with 3200KM. I was told by the owner that the EPS didn't work and he was told by the original owner that it stopped working at about 1500KM. No big deal and the price reflected it so I was happy. The bike is solid in every other way aside from a few maintenance items that I need to do. I've spent the last couple of weeks familiarizing myself with the bike by going through the service manual and reading over the steps for troubleshooting the EPS system. I'm looking for input and advice for the best way to start troubleshooting the EPS issues. Below is a summary of the situation I am currently in:

1. Currently the EPS control unit has a bundle of 5 wires with different connectors coming out of it. These are unplugged and need to be cleaned out, hopefully they are not too corroded. Are the connectors that the EPS control unit plug into part of the main wiring harness? Or is it a separate harness? Depending on the damage they may need to be replaced.

2. I would like to diagnose the EPS system but the light NEVER comes on. I figured it might be a bulb but I removed the hood and I can clearly see a small red wire leading into the pod/EPS light area that has been snipped. Probably by original owner. I'm thinking about repairing this to at least get the light going to see what I'm dealing with.

3. Finally, the EPS motor itself. I believe I have to remove plastics to get at this. I want to make sure all connections etc. are clean and damage free.

What would you do?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Attached is a pic of the wire I notices was snipped/broken under the main hood. The group of wires this is attached to looks like it leads to either the main switch assembly area or the location of the EPS light on the pod. Could this be the reason the EPS light is not working?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
If the 5 connectors are not hooked up, the EPS light will not come on.
The very first thing you need to do is clean those connectors and hook them back up. That's your starting point. Then you can access the diagnostic mode and see what is codes it might have stored.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My thoughts exactly....here is the latest.

I removed the bracket assembly holding the EPS control unit and CDI unit. I unplugged the EPS unit from the wiring harness and gave it a good cleaning with electrical contact cleaner and scraped out any debris. I then used my air compressor to blow out any remaining dirt. They looked pretty good and all connections "clicked" and seem secure.

The bike starts normally but the EPS light still does not come on. When driving in High the Reverse Indicator lights starts blinking and the speedo is not showing my current speed. According to the service manual this could indicate a bad speed sensor but it works perfectly without the EPS control unit hooked up.

I've researched and found a posting from another user with pretty much the exact issue. His problem was resolved by replacing the pod, his Reverse light stopped blinking and his EPS came back to life. This now leads me to think I could have a similar issue as the red wire that was cut I mentioned earlier leads into the POD area. More troubleshooting in my future!

Any comments or ideas are welcome. I'm stubborn with issues like this and would love the satisfaction of getting it fixed....especially if its relatively cheap and easy.

**UPDATED INFO**

I removed the handlebar cover and checked the bulb for the EPS indicator. The bulb seems intact and I cleaned the connector and replaced but still no EPS light. I did notice that there are no red wires leading to the bulb assembly so the red wire that was cut/damaged is not related directly to the bulb.

If this wire leads to the pod and from there connected to EPS and in turn the speed sensor it would explain my blinking reverse light and speedo issues. I'm thinking pulling pod connection and getting a better look at the damaged wire, then either repairing or last resort replace the pod.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another update...

The blinking reverse light is not affecting the performance of the quad at all. Its not sputtering or cutting out and seems to have full power, changing gears etc. The speedometer is at "zero" which in turn kicks off the blinking R light as the bike thinks its not moving. This started happening when I cleaned and connected all the connectors for the EPS control unit which were previously disconnected. When disconnected speedo works fine and no flashing reverse light....the mysterious red wire that is damaged could be preventing speed information from the EPS control unit maybe?

I'm going to pull the pod when I get back to the country and assess the wire damage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Latest Update:

I removed the plastics from the front and the red wire that was damaged/snipped in half has nothing to do with the pod rather it leads to the key switch. Its a live wire...wondering if this was maybe tied into a winch at some point? Doesn't seem to be my issue.

I've disconnected the EPS control unit as the speedo does not work when connected and I get the a blinking "R" indicator. Would a reverse neutral switch/sensor possibly be the issue?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Latest Update:

I removed the plastics from the front and the red wire that was damaged/snipped in half has nothing to do with the pod rather it leads to the key switch. Its a live wire...wondering if this was maybe tied into a winch at some point? Doesn't seem to be my issue.

I've disconnected the EPS control unit as the speedo does not work when connected and I get the a blinking "R" indicator. Would a reverse neutral switch/sensor possibly be the issue?
The red wire that is cut leads into the key switch. Would this being cut and left open cause issues?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts