Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 kodi 450, when the engine is idling its making a strange noise....sounds like firt,firt,firt. Goes away when you throttle up. May be coming from the clutch side. I did remove the belt cover and inspected inside but could not find anything out of sort....i run rotella t6..but just changed to honda brand 4 stroke oil...any ideas ,?

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Googled "firt,firt,firt" found nothing to describe that sound. Did find a lot of really weird definitions in the urban dictionaries.
In gear or in neutral? Try idling in gear to elimiate the possible freewheeling CVT.
Could be a CVT duct, or other part resonating, Crankcase vent hose off or cracked. Carb connector loose or cracked. Many possibilities.
Maybe post up a recording

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to get a vid of the FIRT...ya its a hard one to describe...

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
If it makes the noise in neutral and does not make the noise in gear it could mean that the CVT is turning. What you hear maybe the drive belt. If that is the case lower the idle

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't matter if in neutral or in gear

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
That does indicate the CVT is not rotating and is not contributing to the sound.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm currently digging in....a month ago I removed the belt cover, removed the belt and drive portion of the clutch and ran it..noise was still there

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Is the oil wet-clutch rated?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. JASO approved. That was my first thought...I use rotella t6 usually, but changed to honda 4 stroke oil ( because i had some ) both are jaso rated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts