Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 700 EPS 100% Stock except tires. No Snorkels. 3200 Kms.

Never thought I would do this but made a bad judgement yesterday and sunk my Grizzly in the Opeongo River. Handlebars were not under but everything else was. All was fine and I was within a few yards of safely reaching shallower ground and the exit point when she must have inhaled a mouth full and quit then sank. Very sad moment.

Got her hauled out and loaded back onto my truck and home. Airbox was completely full. Engine oil is like Mushroom soup. I drained the CVT. I know the obvious things that have to be done but want to know if there is anyelse I should do. Also, is this reparable and will my machine be as good as it was before?
  • Change Oil and filter a few times
  • Change Spark Plug
  • CVT Clean and repack bearings
  • Change Front and Rear Diffs
swamped 2.jpg
swamped 2.jpg
swamped 5.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Kodiak 700
48 Posts
Ouch! That is a sad one.

Reactions: 17A

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
That Sucks. Though atleast the water is clean. Dirty gritty waters would be much worse.

Reactions: 17A and MNDirtRider

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ouch. I always get worried when I head toward water that I cannot see bottom.
I hope it gets sorted out quickly so you can get out riding again.
Bill

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I would suggest you do a 3 - 4 oil and filter changes with the spark plug removed, and turning over the engine with the starter. Adding a bit of thin oil down the cylinder would be good idea as well.

I've heard some mixing some diesel fuel with their oil for the first two flushes..... Then switch to streight oil.

Start this procedure sooner then later as you don't want moisture sitting around in your crankcase.

As mentioned the water is clean so you have a good chance of saving it in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
If you haven't started the work, first stand'r' upon her tail and drain the exhaust.
Then drain the air box, pull the plug and turn the engine over without compression.
Then I would squirt a little WD-40 on the piston to let sit while draining the oil for the first time.
As for the c.v.t., the bearing(s) do not replacing, just service the pulleys. Remove the old grease and re-grease and re-install.
Get the air box and filter dry and clean, and check the gas tank for water. Drain and re-fill if there is any water in the tank.
Change the final drive and diff grease.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Oh man! That's a bummer. Looks like you were on a great ride too. Good luck - I'm sure you'll get things all straightened out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will let you know how things go. It's at the dealership now being worked on. I know them well and they have worked on swamped grizzlies before. It was only submerged a short while in crystal clear water and not higher than the airbox so prognosis for a full recovery is high😀.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I'm happy to hear this!

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Sorry bout your luck. I always worry about this happening to mine during those deep water crossings. Hope it all works out.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Dump the fuel tank out and start with fresh fuel. And remember to pull the plug before rolling the engine over!!! Water does not compress!!

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
If properly flushed ASAP, and fluids changed, should be ok, my son still has his that he sunk, thread on here somewhere, sunk grizz

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx everyone for the support and info.

My Grizzly is back home and runs and looks as good as new.

Here is what was done.

Drained water out of engine, CVT, Exhaust
4 x Oil and filter Flush
Cleaned and Lubed Throttle body and all Air Box Passages etc...
Cleaned and oiled Air filter - Reinstalled
Emptied Fuel Tank and re-filled 3/4 full with fresh gas
Disassembled CVT to clean and re-greased, bearings shafts etc...
Cleaned and lubed inside of cylinder and Installed New spark Plug
Flushed Front and Rear Diff's x 2 Each
Checked Rad fluid and cooling system operation
Checked all electrical connections
Verified all electrical systems functioning normally, 4WD and 2WD engagement, Diff Lok, Power Steering, All Lights, Winch, All dashboard displays

Test ride - Everything functioning normally

This little operation cost $915.00 CAD but was worth every penny. Thought it would be more than that.
DSCN0152.JPG
DSCN0145.JPG
DSCN0145.JPG
DSCN0142.JPG

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Good for you!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Glad you got it up and running again. I did forget to mention one thing and I hope you already checked that but if it up and running its probable fine. I thought about the AIS system being the hose is connected to the air box as well as the PVC air box to top of cylinder head.

How far north do you live with fall colors already??

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad you got it up and running again. I did forget to mention one thing and I hope you already checked that but if it up and running its probable fine. I thought about the AIS system being the hose is connected to the air box as well as the PVC air box to top of cylinder head.

How far north do you live with fall colors already??
Thanx for all the info. Those pics are actually from last October, but it will be like that here again soon. I am west of Ottawa Ontario in the Madawaska Valley.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Small world. I'm west of you near North Bay

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you ever come this way give me a shout. 1000 kms of remote trails to ride.:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Glad to hear this ended well. Your pictures and youtube videos are awesome to watch. Did you record the sinking of the grizzly in that crystal clear water? Now that its over maybe you could show us what happened?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you. Yes I did capture it on Video but have not uploaded it yet but I will soon and will let you know.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts