Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
594 Posts
That’s fantastic That it lives again. Just as a precautionary thing you might want to consider packing all of your electrical connections with dialectic grease before any corrosion sets in. My old Honda recently started acting up and wouldn’t shift properly and that was all I did to fix it.

Reactions: 17A

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If you ever come this way give me a shout. 1000 kms of remote trails to ride.:)
I mite eventually do just that. I regularly drag my quad out to Ottawa.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Here is the link to the Video

Sinking the Grizz

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Wow! Thanks for posting this video. I do admire how calm you remained considering how much that situation sucked.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. You really did keep your cool. I use the expression for fuchs sake too.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Something needs to be remembered is that there are areas of the crankcase that will not drain with the machine sitting flat on the floor. It is best to lean the rig up toward the ride (place 5 gallon bucket under the wheels) for a few hours and the up to the left for a few hours. Then back on all 4's. All with the drain plug removed.

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
Knowing the result before watching changed the experience :)
Opening with the steep decent towards water, most I know around here wouldn't go down the hill :)
Or then turn down the bank, that would have eliminated most of the rest :)
And like you there, nobody around here is going to get their balls wet helping to push a griz upstream :)
Years ago I had a lot of water over the griz hood, where the c.v.t. inlet lives. Two guys with me didn't get his ball wet either, but one did sit on his bike taking pictures.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Knowing the result before watching changed the experience :)
Opening with the steep decent towards water, most I know around here wouldn't go down the hill :)
Or then turn down the bank, that would have eliminated most of the rest :)
And like you there, nobody around here is going to get their balls wet helping to push a griz upstream :)
Years ago I had a lot of water over the griz hood, where the c.v.t. inlet lives. Two guys with me didn't get his ball wet either, but one did sit on his bike taking pictures.
Here is the exact same spot from last October. Quite a difference. I really thought it would be shallower ahead but made a bad judgement call. My freind in his Maverick had his CVT flooded and he eventually did come to my rescue and yanked me out. The exit point was only a few yards ahead of me.....Where I fell. All was good. A lesson learned and it was still a good time. Won't happen again.

Opeongo river Fall 2019

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
:)
Won't happen again?
I've said that too and......

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
100 Kms today along the trails north of the Madawaska River. Grizzly is running as good as new and suffered no side effects from her near fatal drowning episode last week in the Opeongo River. P9100010.JPG P9100012.JPG P9100013.JPG P9100014.JPG P9100016.JPG P9100028.JPG P9100030.JPG P9100032.JPG P9100033.JPG

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Awesome to hear!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm sure not as young as most of you. (66 year old dinosaur)
Had my Grizzly 550 for 10 years and kept it in perfect shape.

For the life of me I read the manual over and over again.
Nowhere do I see instructions on using it as a submarine.

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
That's why he had trouble :)
Those instruction are in the tire section, warning to keep them on the ground.
He had a choice to make, and did. Its called a Hold Down in the submarine business, to run the engine out of air :) which he did too :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I sunk my ATV it cost around $300 but I did all the work myself.
Flushed oil 10-12 times, putting some in the cylinder a few times, 5 oil filters, new plug, cleaned cvt, dielectric greased plugs, changed diff oil. Then after riding for awhile I did another oil change, filter and plug.
That was at 29 miles and brand new checking on floodwater around the property, now it’s over 1700 miles and runs like new still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Handled the situation well, Somebody has to go first. I was wondering what the air and water temp was and how far out from the truck or house where you?

we use to ride water creeks as a day ride but we could walk back to the truck in a hour or less. Or call somebody(wife) to come and pick us up at a road crossing with truck and trailer If we had trouble.

thanks for sharing and keeping the camera going, makes the story better. I will look for the link to my thread, you can gather info and maybe be prepared to save money if this happens again.

Our dealer advocated diesel Fuel for motor flushes. I used oil when my son sunk his, much more expensive. And like Roegem said, on the older Grizzly you had to lift the passenger Side up to drain all the Contaminated oil out of the motor

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Handled the situation well, Somebody has to go first. I was wondering what the air and water temp was and how far out from the truck or house where you?

we use to ride water creeks as a day ride but we could walk back to the truck in a hour or less. Or call somebody(wife) to come and pick us up at a road crossing with truck and trailer If we had trouble.

thanks for sharing and keeping the camera going, makes the story better. I will look for the link to my thread, you can gather info and maybe be prepared to save money if this happens again.

Our dealer advocated diesel Fuel for motor flushes. I used oil when my son sunk his, much more expensive. And like Roegem said, on the older Grizzly you had to lift the passenger Side up to drain all the Contaminated oil out of the motor

This was really out of character for me. I have always been extremely careful about doing stupid stuff like this but made a bad judgement on this day. Anyway, the bike was under for approx 25 minutes. Once we got my friend in the Maverick behind me in place, he yanked me out. Can't see it in the video, but I was very close to the exit point when the Grizzly sank. If I had chosen a line five feet to my right I would not have swamped as it was shallower there. That is the line my friend behind me used to come forward. Very lucky we had easy access back to the trucks from this point. After pulling me out and up the hill back to the railbed track, we only had about four kms to the trucks. There were four of us on this ride. The other two stayed back in shallower water and returned by going back up the steep hill. I got my bike directly to the Yamaha Dealership in Petawawa. They made it a priority and got her drained, flushed etc back to health in a day. I would not have had the ability to do everything that needed to be done myself and this had to be looked after ASAP. I have been out for a couple of 100 km rides since this happened and the Grizzly is a good as new. Thanx everyone for the info and the support in this matter. A few pics below and vide from yesterday riding in the Madawaska Valley At the end of the video I give an update on the Grizzly.

Madawaska Valley Ride and Grizzly Update since the Sinking

A few pics.

DSCN0887.JPG DSCN0890.JPG DSCN0893.JPG DSCN0864.JPG

21 - 38 of 38 Posts