Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people! I have neurological ataxia (affects my balance and fine motor skills, .............. among other things). My wheeler is my escape so I put A LOT of milage on my grizz! I recently have been noticing that the wheeler even though set on full soft, hurts the ole' back. I'm looking for aftermarket shocks I can tune to be soft comfy riding. I have read a lot about Elka etc.

What would you guys suggest in the way of shocks and their models.

Thanx.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
I have Elka stage 3 and I was able to tune them to be very easy on my back and hip replacement. You can talk directly to elka reps and they have the knowledge to tune your shocks to your needs. Elkas are pricey and not for every one , but if you can swing the price and get them set up for you I think you will enjoy the upgrade and the ride they offer. Good luck in your search and this is my opinion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking for PLUSH!! Any opinions or knowledge would be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
If you want plush, Elka is the only way to go.....but you gotta pay for it.

Reactions: PA. GRIZZLY

·
Registered
277 Posts
Suspension is great but good tires go along way as well. Soft rubber compound of a larger diameter then stock set with low psi will greatly help as well. Large tires roll over rocks and ruts easier then smaller tires and ruts and humps wont be as abrupt when you hit them. Just something to consider. What tires are you running now?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suspension is great but good tires go along way as well. Soft rubber compound of a larger diameter then stock set with low psi will greatly help as well. Large tires roll over rocks and ruts easier then smaller tires and ruts and humps wont be as abrupt when you hit them. Just something to consider. What tires are you running now?

26x9r12 x2 up front and 26x11r12 x2 rear, blackwater evo's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, I felt the same way. I have a 2016 Kodiak 700 EPS and while some say the stock suspension is " plush " it clearly is not. I also ride a motocross bike ( CRF450R ) with Factory Connection suspension and I know what plush suspension is. My Kodiak kind of feels like stock 1985 XR honda suspension. Short travel and a lot of bouncing the machine around on rocky trails.

I just ordered Elka stage 3 shocks, even though I could not find a lot of detailed reviews of the improvement these provide.

Most guys who switched to Elka's just say something like " I don't regret it " , or " I like them better than stock " .

That doesn't answer the questions of - Is it worth spending $1300 hard earned dollars on ? , Or - how much improved is it over stock?

I bought the Kodiak over Polaris based on reviews for Quality and durability, but if the Elka's don't give me the ride I am looking for I will be selling the shocks and the Kodiak and buying a sportsman.

My Elka's will be here in 3 weeks. I will do a detailed review after I ride them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Elkas...whatever fits your budget and big horn originals at 5psi.....works great for me and I have major back issues. The bonus is that elka has lowered pricing and now offers complete packages for far less than I paid back in 2010 for a full stage 1 set up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts