Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my grizz, i have a stock yamaha/warn winch from back in 99. It works, but its very noisey, like its squealing. I was thinking on just using it as is despite the squealing, but i figured its not supose to make that noise and if it breaks down when i need it the most, well that would just wouldnt be good. It also has a old twist style switch on the front rack, hope you know what im talking about, and i want to use my front rack to put a box/basket on but its in the way. I was just gonna ask if i could get a switch that will mount on the handle bars, which i see the new ones have, but i figured i might as well just get a new winch if i was gonna do that. I wanna get a RT25 since ive heard good things about it and it has the handle bar switch on it, but what i wanna know ( i know it took me a long time to get to the question) is if i took my old one off, would the wires be the same as the new one? like a plug and play kinda deal? Im sure its not exacally the same, but are the wires off the old one at least gonna work for the new one, or are there different wires that need to be wired? I wanna do this my self since im sure its pretty simple and i dont need to pay to get it done, i just dont have a warm shop to work in but i guess ill just have to wait for a warm day to do it. Please let me know if that will work or what my options are. Thanks

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
no you would have to change wiring and all. what do you have the a2000 warn winch. mount I think should be the same.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Damien - Depends on what you want to do. The winch motor will have two terminals on it. Both are 12 volt systems If you left all of your wiring the same, you could swap winch motors and it should work.

If you want to upgrade your wiring, which I would do, you will have to pretty much start from scratch. Your old system ran all the current through the circular rotator switch. It is not a very good system.

The newer winches usually come with low voltage switch for the handle bars and a contactor that handles the high amp draws.

If you have a remote, it will require a sending unit in addition to everything else.

Jeff

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damien - Depends on what you want to do. The winch motor will have two terminals on it. Both are 12 volt systems If you left all of your wiring the same, you could swap winch motors and it should work.

If you want to upgrade your wiring, which I would do, you will have to pretty much start from scratch. Your old system ran all the current through the circular rotator switch. It is not a very good system.

The newer winches usually come with low voltage switch for the handle bars and a contactor that handles the high amp draws.

If you have a remote, it will require a sending unit in addition to everything else.

Jeff
Ya that's what I thought. Worst part is that I don't have a warm place to do it so it would kinda be a pain to do it in the cold. I might just have to get my dealer to do it for me. They've been good to me so far. Was kinda hopin for a plug and play but I figured that it would be different. Oh well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Any friends with an enclosed trailer? Add a cheap propane heater and you have a heated work place.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any friends with an enclosed trailer? Add a cheap propane heater and you have a heated work place.
Actually i do have a propane heater and i park my quad in a shed so that
Might work thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sounds toasty warm to me, eh. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I might have to upgrade my winch now...I have a 2000 Grizz and the original winch with the stupid rotator switch......the switch is getting all screwy, so I took it off and opened it up to see if the contacts inside jsut needed a cleaning. Turns out the 2 copper contact plates are starting to shear the plastic tabs that hold them in place.

Getting that snap-ring back on when re-assembling is a real pain, if any one needs to do this with theirs, PM me for tips that I found helped make it easier to put back together.

Since the winch is still in good working order, I'm just going to pick up the thumb switch and relay to re-wire it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I might have to upgrade my winch now...I have a 2000 Grizz and the original winch with the stupid rotator switch......the switch is getting all screwy, so I took it off and opened it up to see if the contacts inside jsut needed a cleaning. Turns out the 2 copper contact plates are starting to shear the plastic tabs that hold them in place.

Getting that snap-ring back on when re-assembling is a real pain, if any one needs to do this with theirs, PM me for tips that I found helped make it easier to put back together.

Since the winch is still in good working order, I'm just going to pick up the thumb switch and relay to re-wire it.
What brand of switch and contractor did you use?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts