Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great trip to Taylor Park this year and we were blessed with some fantastic weather (not much rain at all). Although it was a bit cold in the morning, 29 degrees and frost, it warmed up quickly and we were treated to mostly sun with broken clouds. Afternoon thundershowers did move in but was isolated and we seemed to miss most of the rain somehow.

Out there was @wgc, @rio (and wife) and @rwreuter. If you've never been to Taylor Park, it is a great place to go ride with many trails direct from camp. We were there during the eclipse and happened to be approaching the top of Ajax Mountain Ski Resort in Aspen. Lots of people out and about during the eclipse event. We had actually stopped at one point when the eclipse was starting although none of us knew when it was taking place. Was very weird though as the light didn't seem quite right and all of us were convinced that is was happening. Biggest difference was going through some dense wooded area and it was a lot darker than one would expect even though we were in an ~ 82% area. By the time we got to Ajax Mountain, I had asked some people when the peak time for the eclipse and they told us about 10 minutes ago but offered to let us look through their glasses. Pretty darn cool!

Not sure how many pictures I can upload per post but will find out shortly.

Attachments

·
Grizzled
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Great Pictures! Glad you guys had a good trip. Taylor Park is a great place to ride!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Great pics! Looks like you guys had a great trip.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Looks like a great place to ride, thanks for the pics I hope to make It out there some time.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Hey...RR..

Thanks for the really great pictures. I know that you all had a great time.

My Queen and I are kicking around the idea of converting our campground to seasonal campers only. If that happens I/we could finally get out to CO. Maybe next summer.

Reactions: RedRocket

·
Registered
724 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures that I took when we went:

Aspen Ski Resort during (just after) the eclipse

·
Registered
724 Posts
Looks like my pictures didn't stay???

·
Registered
724 Posts
Fail

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Epic Fail! LOL!

Reactions: rwreuter

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
What is the deal with camping in the park?

·
Grizzled
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the deal with camping in the park?
Let me know if this doesn't quite answer your question.

Camping is allowed many, many places within TP. There are restrictions but seem to be only minor. Can't camp within 100 feet of the river. MVUM map shows which areas are allowed for camping by way of roads you can camp off of, which is many. I recall wgc mentioned to me there might be some additional restrictions for camping near Tincup since there have been some complaints by residents... but don't quote me on that part.

There are a few official 'pay-for' campgrounds along the TP River, north of the reservoir which I believe have vault toilets and maybe some hand-pumped water available. There are some nicer official 'pay-for' campgrounds near the reservoir and west down the canyon but those you generally can't ride OHVs directly out of.

At the Taylor Park Trading Post, there are cabins for rent and a RV park with full hookups but neither of those are particularly cheap anymore. There are also some additional cabins nearby at Holt's Guest Ranch.

If tent camping is your thing, be very prepared for cold and rain. Since you will be at a minimum of 9400 feet, even in the summer it can get down to freezing temps, as we experienced mid-August. It was about 29 degrees every morning when we woke at 6:30a. rio said it was even colder the morning of the day we arrived, 26 degrees. The days quickly warmed up and were nice, but mornings were definitely cold. The last fall trip we took there, 3rd week of Sept, temps got down to 20 at night.

·
Registered
724 Posts
@RedRocket, were you able to process any of those videos that you took?

·
Grizzled
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not yet. That's the thing about video, such a PITA to go through, find some cool stuff and edit it.

Reactions: rwreuter

·
Registered
155 Posts
Great pics RedRocket. I see they have added a third flag to American Flag Mountain. I've never been over Hancock Pass but maybe next month. I see you set up your trailers along the river near the south end of the valley. I always assumed it would be windy there. Is it not? How far do you have to go for firewood? My brother and I always camp nearer to Dorchester in the north end. There are several great spots not far off the road but more in the tree's and not windy at all. But in choosing this area we have to put up with driving further up that washboard road.

·
Grizzled
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, we were only 3 miles north of where the pavement on TP River Rd ends. There is nothing to block the winds where we were. Next year we are considering dry camping south of the Trading Post.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Great trip to Taylor Park this year and we were blessed with some fantastic weather (not much rain at all). Although it was a bit cold in the morning, 29 degrees and frost, it warmed up quickly and we were treated to mostly sun with broken clouds. Afternoon thundershowers did move in but was isolated and we seemed to miss most of the rain somehow.

Out there was @wgc, @rio (and wife) and @rwreuter. If you've never been to Taylor Park, it is a great place to go ride with many trails direct from camp. We were there during the eclipse and happened to be approaching the top of Ajax Mountain Ski Resort in Aspen. Lots of people out and about during the eclipse event. We had actually stopped at one point when the eclipse was starting although none of us knew when it was taking place. Was very weird though as the light didn't seem quite right and all of us were convinced that is was happening. Biggest difference was going through some dense wooded area and it was a lot darker than one would expect even though we were in an ~ 82% area. By the time we got to Ajax Mountain, I had asked some people when the peak time for the eclipse and they told us about 10 minutes ago but offered to let us look through their glasses. Pretty darn cool!

Not sure how many pictures I can upload per post but will find out shortly.

That's really cool that you were riding during the eclipse. My house is north of Kansas City and we were in the "path of totality". We got a great view of it and it was really amazing but I think I would have preferred to be riding in the mountains during this unique event. That sounds really cool.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey...RR..

Thanks for the really great pictures. I know that you all had a great time.

My Queen and I are kicking around the idea of converting our campground to seasonal campers only. If that happens I/we could finally get out to CO. Maybe next summer.

:frown2::frown2::frown2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts