Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the whole set and rear grab bar the other day. All of it was around $800 which is crazy expensive given it is all "protection" and parts it is "protecting" doesn't even cost that much. Anyway, I took the wheels and tires off first like it recommends makes it easier to install. I decided to put back on my 28" Zillas since I was taking off the others. Look at the boot in plan site now! The least protection I've ever seen a 4x4 have with or without "guards" I'm going to have to return them which will be a pain and try a different brand.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I'm guessing you have some really wide spacers or offsets rims on your bike? Cause, Wow it's wide!

It's certainly true that factory plastics cover more then that without the extra cost.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have any spacers at all! I have 14" ITP Hirricaine wheels and 28" Zilla tires. If you look at others with the Yamaha guards videos on YouTube they are the same way. I'm surprised someone else hasn't complained about these stopping others from buying them. I can't even ride around normal conditions at my deer camp with these on. Sticks would pop them boots within mins.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Wow... that's pretty bad. Ya might think about Ricochet.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
They leave that space to account for the brake caliper clearance when you turn , and have room for aftermarket shocks still. Richochet skids won't work with Aftermarket Shocks without trimming in that area at the very least. I run the Yamaha (spent hours in the woods and river),and have yet to pop a front CV boot , and my ELKA's fit without issue.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
My preference would be to have the extra protection and notch out a little material if I got aftermarket shocks. Other members have reported it's no big deal to make those modifications.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
If you are in heavy mud, you made the correct purchase. Not sure what year machine, but put the original black plastic tabs, held on by two screws back on, and that will protect your outer front boot.

For a non mudder, the richochet are the best protection.

We have around 7000 miles on Oem a arms, put the tabs back on and you will be fine, and appreciate that mud collects less on your system.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Ricochet is the way to go. You can get em cheaper , more protection , and colored. Downside is they do hold a lot of mud as stated above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts