Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I'm thinking about buying one. I'm working with the dealer and my wife at the moment lol. I bought a honda Rubicon DCT power steering 2015 last year. It was a left over model. I've added big horn tires and a Viper 3500 winch. Really good quad with about 1300 miles on it. Never had any trouble from it. I do a fair amount of hunting. Some of the places I go are muddy at times. I'm not looking to snorkel my machine no lift kits. Just adding a winch and better tires later on. So my dealer has a 2018 Yamaha grizzly 700 SE gun metal Gray. Think that's the color nice looking machine. I was drooling literally lol. I've had a 2004 yamaha road star silverado 1700. Put alot of miles on that bike no trouble. Just some questions on the new grizzly. I heard there we're some problems on the earlier models. Back firing on deceleration running lean thanks EPA. Also has the air box been updated. I read some reports of dirt by passing the filter. Would like to hear from some of you all that have new machines. Or someone who may have knowledge on this. My wife and I like to ride two up on country roads. Looking for something with more power and comfort. I also have a 2016 POLARIS ranger xp 900 HO.O. I use it during the winter for hunting. All in closed cab nice rig. Are there any known problems with the newer grizzlys old ones included. Did they update anything on the newer grizzlys. Just want to know before I trade my Rubicon and fork over the remainder of the balance my dealer told me they have some incentives going on. Didn't say what it was. I'm replying back and forth through emails. I have to say the new grizzly is a fine looking rig. I Wellcome all comments and suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought a 17 grizz and I love it man. Loads more power than the Honda. The stock suspension is beyond comfortable and is adjustable depending on your needs. I don’t have anything negative about it after 54 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
101 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
My understanding is that the issues with the 2016's, and those weren't universal, have been resolved. The guys with the new 17's and 18's will chime in I'm sure.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Fuel tuner fixes the lean problem, blocking the AIS is easy and will solve the backfire issue, and the air box is bad but I am a personal believer that a stock air box system on any of the Grizzly models weren't that great. I love that color and can't wait until they come into my price range. That would a great machine for you and more than likely day and night from the Honda.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I called my dealer. Told them I wanted the graphite gray se with power steering. So I went on line and filled out the credit application. They are only allowing me $4500.00 on my trade in. I bought it last year my honda Rubicon 2015. It was a hold over model and still looks new. Figured they would give me more. I'm still going to work on that before I sign the deal. Anyways I'm now awaiting for an email saying if I'm approved. I know I will Just hope my payments are decent. They want a bit over $10,000 not including the other fee's. It does come with a warn winch some incentives they have going on. I'll keep you all updated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well I called my dealer. Told them I wanted the graphite gray se with power steering. So I went on line and filled out the credit application. They are only allowing me $4500.00 on my trade in. I bought it last year my honda Rubicon 2015. It was a hold over model and still looks new. Figured they would give me more. I'm still going to work on that before I sign the deal. Anyways I'm now awaiting for an email saying if I'm approved. I know I will Just hope my payments are decent. They want a bit over $10,000 not including the other fee's. It does come with a warn winch some incentives they have going on. I'll keep you all updated.
I am sure that if you put it on kijiji you would have no problem getting $6000 out of it if not more. I personally would not sell to the dealer as they always low ball. I have a pair of 17's. I have had a shock go on both of them. Other then that I haven't had any issues. My dad has one as well and had no problems. I find the higher test gas seems to pop more when letting off the throttle but it isn't that bad. They are comfortable though. It's like riding a lazyboy though the bush.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Welcome to GC.

Don’t sell the rubi to the dealer. Sell it yourself and make more money. Just like selling a car or truck, make it shine like a diamond in a goat’s azz, take good 360 degree pics and post’em up. Good pics and well written ad are the secret to selling anything. Doing it yourself takes a little more time and energy but say ya put 10 hours into detailing, pics, ad and phone calls and ya make $1,500 or $2,000 more over trading it. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I was a Honda guy also. I came here back in 2013 asking questions as you are now. I haven’t looked back at Honda since. To me, the Yamaha Grizzly bridges the gap between pure utility and sport while retaining reliability better than any other manufacturer. I’d be looking at at new 17 or 18 if I were buying today. I wouldn’t rule out a 16 but there’s some things I’d want to make sure were right on those. If I could locate a lightly used or new / old stock 14 or 15 for the right money, I’d be all over one of those as well. These are considered the years Yamaha “got it right” (or ever more right than usual) by many prior to the big redesign in 2016. Any Griz will serve you well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just picked up a 2016 Grizzly 700 LE in red with 89 miles and 14 hours. The decompression spring was fixed. What other "2016" items should I look for that may need addressing.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
I just picked up a 2016 Grizzly 700 LE in red with 89 miles and 14 hours. The decompression spring was fixed. What other "2016" items should I look for that may need addressing.
The foam ring on the filter came dry from the factory allowing dust to get by on several machines. I would most likely get the EHS Racing filter setup for a 2016+. I don’t know why they changed the filter box from 15. I’ve never seen a speck of dust in my intake on my old 10 or current 14. Little more of a pain in the azz to access the air filter on my machine but not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK everyone I got a text saying I was approved. Now I have a few decisions to make. He has a fully loaded Kodiak in camo PS nice rims cheaper than the grizzly. For those that are payments on you're grizzly. Not trying to be nosey. I'm trying to get a ball park figure of what my payments would be. That includes money down or no money down. Man after seeing the grizzly se and Kodiak. They are both sweet. I'm leaning more towards the grizzly. I hunt alot during the winter. And in the summer the wife and I like to get out. We like to hit alot of the back roads. I think the grizzly will suit my needs pretty well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
OK everyone I got a text saying I was approved. Now I have a few decisions to make. He has a fully loaded Kodiak in camo PS nice rims cheaper than the grizzly. For those that are payments on you're grizzly. Not trying to be nosey. I'm trying to get a ball park figure of what my payments would be. That includes money down or no money down. Man after seeing the grizzly se and Kodiak. They are both sweet. I'm leaning more towards the grizzly. I hunt alot during the winter. And in the summer the wife and I like to get out. We like to hit alot of the back roads. I think the grizzly will suit my needs pretty well.
This should help you out. Payment Calculator . I found the Grizzly more comfortable to sit on then the Kodiak. Either way, You cant go wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealer called me back with a quote. $176.00 per month for 36 month's. That includes the 4 year Warrenty that I asked for. 4 1/2 year's total. Free winch included I'll install that myself. I think the dealer is giving me a low ball figure. I'll Just go on and sell it out right.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dealer called me back with a quote. $176.00 per month for 36 month's. That includes the 4 year Warrenty that I asked for. 4 1/2 year's total. Free winch included I'll install that myself. I think the dealer is giving me a low ball figure. I'll Just go on and sell it out right.

The payment will not make sense to us as we don’t know the sale price, taxes, titling fees, down payment, etc. The best way to assist you would be to know the following:

MSRP $
Discount $
Sale Price $
Rebates if applicable $
BS Fees (freight, set-up, etc) $
Taxes $
Trade ACV actual cash value $
Down payment if applicable $

The dealer should provide this breakdown to you. Don’t buy based on payment.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
What you are looking for is OTD price, those payment tactics are rather notorious for vehicle sales, their best tactic is always to ask how much you can afford each month.
If at the point of closing, try to get that winch replaced with a Warn Pro Advantage 2500.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Listen to the advice given by 1998Grizzly and Fireman2 above about the financing and purchasing of this bike. It's sound and proven factual financial advice.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts

@reogem and others can give you first hand experience on the Kodi. The Kodi doesn’t come with diff Lock or the guage pod on the regular version. I believe those features only come on the SE. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong. The kodi’s track is narrower than the Griz but that can be fixed with spacers. Also, the Kodi’s clutching is a bit different but his can also be modified if desired.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
@reogem and others can give you first hand experience on the Kodi. The Kodi doesn’t come with diff Lock or the guage pod on the regular version. I believe those features only come on the SE. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.
As of 2018 all EPS Kodiaks have the push button, 4wd with lock feature but they always had the full digital display POD since 2016 . The only ones that never had the POD and still utilizes the cable operated non lock 4wd version is the Base model Kodiaks.

Reactions: okbear
1 - 18 of 18 Posts