Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 with about 265 miles on it that has all sorts of extra goodies on it but at the end of the day its still a footshfting, sluggish, diff lock lacking, reliable quad... It works but I feel like the kodiak would be so much more machine

THis new Kodiak, specifically the SE with diff-lock, has peaked my interest. anyone seen or heard any out the door pricing on this model?

Ive only owned Honda, always been warned off a belted ATV that "will leave me stuck in the woods."

I dont "MUD", I use my quad for pulling trailers around my property and getting into and out of hunting areas...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
The reliability of the Yamaha belt is well documented and as long as you can figure out when to use high and low range you will likely never have any issues. Plus, the money you save by not having to have back surgery later in life because of Honda's terrible ride will let you outfit your Kodiak nicely. I had a Rancher 350 for 10 years and wish I would have gotten the Kodiak 400 I was considering at the same time as the Rancher. I ran tracks for 3 seasons with my Grizzly and never had a problem. I don't know the pricing but you will still probably get $5000+ for your Foreman when you sell it. The Yamaha belt, when used properly, is almost as bullet proof as your 5 spd.

·
Premium Member
9,286 Posts
I can't help you with pricing, but don't worry about the belt system leaving you stranded.
I worked the shet out of mine for a 1000 miles, then increased the stress to the belt drive over the next 7000 miles and the original belt is in it now.
I ride alone and have no worry about getting back to the truck.
I've been off the trail for a few months after dropping the grizz from a ledge in April. I bent an a-arm and after replacing it the grizz was driven up this.

he Yamaha belt drive system is very reliable and easily modified.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Welcome. I came from Hondas also. No regrets going to yamaha.

There's a member that has put 15,000 + miles on the original belt, he sold it with the same belt so I'm sure it's still going. If you test drive a Kodiak and it seems sluggish, it's not hard to modify it to match the 16 grizzly for around $50. Just weights in the cvt so just realize it will be a little sluggish stock (vs the 16 grizzly) but still probably beats the foreman. I don't mean to overwhelm you, but I don't want you to be scared off from your first impression.

As for pricing, where are you located? Pricing seems to vary from one place to another, sometimes quite a bit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thanks for the feedback... I rarely get out of 3rd gear...thats about 15-22 mph.... Im usually pulling stuff or easing into/out of a hunting area...

I almost bought a 550 grizz in 2012 but for some reason I bought a foreman with EFI, liquid cooling...its a reliable, slow bike thats not that much "fun" to ride, hence the name "foreman" I guess...in 1st gear it will pull and pull without trouble thus far but so will a kodiak 700 LOL

Im also considering finding a closeout 15 grizzly

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would understand low to be used when in deep mud, pulling stuff, climbing up a steep hill...

High would be for riding fast and riding in general

is that correct?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
A 15 grizzly will treat you good. The 14+ grizzlies are wider than earlier grizzlies and the Kodiak 700. Rides better and is more stable. I personally chose my 15 over the 16 kodiak, but you may like the Kodiak better. If I was to do it over, id still get the 15.

·
Moab Aficionado
2,382 Posts
I can't help you with pricing, but don't worry about the belt system leaving you stranded.
I worked the shet out of mine for a 1000 miles, then increased the stress to the belt drive over the next 7000 miles and the original belt is in it now.
I ride alone and have no worry about getting back to the truck.
I've been off the trail for a few months after dropping the grizz from a ledge in April. I bent an a-arm and after replacing it the grizz was driven up this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCm-jIgbTB0

he Yamaha belt drive system is very reliable and easily modified.
Kane Creek- always a fun ride.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,286 Posts
Kane Creek- always a fun ride.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
:icon_ laughup:
Not when you fall of the edge. :rofl:
Had a great time riding in, and a great time riding out, but there was about 20 ft. in the middle, not so much fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
well I have a foreman 450 and just sold my grizz 700. The reason I sold it is, I use to ride it on trails alot. I loved the power but hated the width and the seat position. I felt like I needed to move forwards about 2 inches. Climbing hills, while it did climb them it always felt light in the front end. Now what I just said is compared to the honda. For what you are gonna do I think the foreman is better for the job. I say that with reservation because I loved the grizz, but the reality is that I never used diff lock hardly ever, and honestly I didnt like the way it towed heavy stuff around the farm. I put over 3000 miles on mine in 4 years. Mostly ridden in tight forest with tons of rocks, logs etc. I would use low range mostly. It felt geared more like the honda when in low range. So to sum it up, I dont ride trails anymore, so I like the honda better for what I use it for. I dont like the stiff ride, or the armstrong power steering lol, but the honda 450 foreman is tank. Its super stable on hills, will pull darn near anything you can hook to it and in your case it wont cost you more money. I think you should ride one of your buddies if they have one. The only prob with that is, the speed is addictive. Good luck and be carefull. 800 lbs of machine thats tall going to fast in a corner is not a good combo (not speaking from experience). I've just seen alot of guys that aren't that good of a rider get a new grizz, can-am or polaris 700cc plus machines and get air lifted out of my riding area. I never had any problems, but I've been riding almost my whole life. I miss the grizz for the trails, but not for the farm. Thanks for reading this episode of typers cramp. lol

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Welcome. I came from Hondas also. No regrets going to yamaha.

There's a member that has put 15,000 + miles on the original belt, he sold it with the same belt so I'm sure it's still going. If you test drive a Kodiak and it seems sluggish, it's not hard to modify it to match the 16 grizzly for around $50. Just weights in the cvt so just realize it will be a little sluggish stock (vs the 16 grizzly) but still probably beats the foreman. I don't mean to overwhelm you, but I don't want you to be scared off from your first impression.

As for pricing, where are you located? Pricing seems to vary from one place to another, sometimes quite a bit.

That was me , yep over 15,000 miles on the original belt the CVT system was never apart or looked at . I know who bought it still on original belt .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think youre right....ive spent some time thinking about it and I cannot justify the expense for what "I" will use it for...thanks for honest feedback
well I have a foreman 450 and just sold my grizz 700. The reason I sold it is, I use to ride it on trails alot. I loved the power but hated the width and the seat position. I felt like I needed to move forwards about 2 inches. Climbing hills, while it did climb them it always felt light in the front end. Now what I just said is compared to the honda. For what you are gonna do I think the foreman is better for the job. I say that with reservation because I loved the grizz, but the reality is that I never used diff lock hardly ever, and honestly I didnt like the way it towed heavy stuff around the farm. I put over 3000 miles on mine in 4 years. Mostly ridden in tight forest with tons of rocks, logs etc. I would use low range mostly. It felt geared more like the honda when in low range. So to sum it up, I dont ride trails anymore, so I like the honda better for what I use it for. I dont like the stiff ride, or the armstrong power steering lol, but the honda 450 foreman is tank. Its super stable on hills, will pull darn near anything you can hook to it and in your case it wont cost you more money. I think you should ride one of your buddies if they have one. The only prob with that is, the speed is addictive. Good luck and be carefull. 800 lbs of machine thats tall going to fast in a corner is not a good combo (not speaking from experience). I've just seen alot of guys that aren't that good of a rider get a new grizz, can-am or polaris 700cc plus machines and get air lifted out of my riding area. I never had any problems, but I've been riding almost my whole life. I miss the grizz for the trails, but not for the farm. Thanks for reading this episode of typers cramp. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts