Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
x2 my camo looks like new still after a 4 yr old jumping on it and mad riding thru brush ect i use pledge to keep it lookin good help with mud but 1 yr later still looks like new no issue so far

·
Registered
385 Posts
i'm pushing 3900kms on my 07 with camo and it's wearing off by my legs, but nowhere near as bad as the pics mill posted. you really gotta be straddling her pretty hard to be wearing it off like that.

that said, any surface camo will eventually wear off and it seems like your riding style dictates how fast it wears off. mud acts like sandpaper when you rub it against your machine and repeated rubbing will cause this. i like to use my feet to rock the machine rather than straddling and rocking with my legs.

after about 3000kms of hard riding with lots of rocking back and fourth. very little wear if any....

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
My sons 2010 camo is coming off, but in farness, we ride heavy mud, so the action of the mud on his waders rubbing against the plastic act like sandpapar, just wished the color of the plastic was olive green instead of white

·
Registered
39 Posts
After reading so many problems in reguards to yamahas camo. When I bought my wife her machine. I bought a clear sticky film tint materialand applied it where there would be the most rubbing. I am hoping this will last for a long time. You can not even tell its there.

·
Registered
585 Posts
i'm pushing 3900kms on my 07 with camo and it's wearing off by my legs, but nowhere near as bad as the pics mill posted. you really gotta be straddling her pretty hard to be wearing it off like that.

that said, any surface camo will eventually wear off and it seems like your riding style dictates how fast it wears off. mud acts like sandpaper when you rub it against your machine and repeated rubbing will cause this. i like to use my feet to rock the machine rather than straddling and rocking with my legs.

after about 3000kms of hard riding with lots of rocking back and fourth. very little wear if any....

Agreed mud acts like sandpaper and I do ride hard in some nasty stuff, that has def helped to speed up the process but it started wearing off when my bike was brand new and it had never been in a mudhole yet. It also seems that different camo patterns hold up better then others. Maybe they are applied differently due to the patents on the pattern. My bros big bear camo looks brand new, WTF? Different plastics, different company? For me it doesn't matter what pants i'm wearing after each ride a little more is gone.

IMO camo looks the best new but after that it's all down hill. Waste of money to pay for something that you know will wear off and can make resale impossible without new plastics cause it looks old and beat to shit.

Overall everyone's camo is wearing off so if it was a vote from camo owners I think in the end camo gets a thumbs down.

Next plastics will def be solid color.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It also seems that different camo patterns hold up better then others. Maybe they are applied differently due to the patents on the pattern. My bros big bear camo looks brand new, WTF? Different plastics, different company?
i've seen a few 07's that still look as good as mine. but, there are many 10's that look as bad as yours. the only thing i can think of is yamaha switched to cheaper materials to get the job done. maybe they're using a different recipe for the actual plastics themselves and the camo dip simply doesn't stick as good?

either way it's unacceptable for camo patterns to be wearing off so quickly.

maybe if enough people call and complain something will get done....

·
Registered
122 Posts
The new to me 09 Camo grizz with 480 miles on it has some boot rub marks from little kids.None where your legs rub.My 09 Rhino camo looks brandnew after 3K hard mile rubbing up against every thing.I think they use different methods when dipping as the 2 machines both 09's when side x side the camo colors are a little different

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you have stress makes in your plastics try using a heat gun and working it a little bit. i had some and they went away. just depends on how bad they are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ig you really want the camo you can try getting the clear bra stuff they put on cars to protect the paint. its really hard to see and is pretty flexible. its a pain in the but to get off so it should stick pretty good.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
X2 on the 3M Scotchguard. Put it on the fenders before installing my overfenders to try to prevent wear from the two plastics rubbing together. Also put some on both sides of gas tank and also under the rear rack where my bag overhangs the rack and rubs the camo. So far seems to be great stuff and is not lifting up at the corners or anything. Very easy to install on flat areas, little difficult on curved sections, but you get the hang of it pretty quick. I also agree with several of the others that yes the camo does not hold up very well. Starting to see wear in spots where two plastics are in contact with each other. Wouldn't be so big of an issue if the plastic underneath was green or black instead of white. Camo does look nice and hide the dirt, but next time going with red or green.

·
Registered
269 Posts
You know, buying an aftermarket camo wrap online isn't too expensive, and then you can pick any camo pattern you want, and if wears off and gets all scratched up, just replace the wrap!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I really like the looks of the Camo Grizz and am pretty dedicated to buying that color, but those pictures made me cringe. Do you think the new "textured" paint for 2012 will help prevent this wearing?

·
DJ
5,636 Posts
Well I didn't want red to hunt with. Don't they have a silver or black?
I was thinking green or camo.
:rocker:Nothing wrong with red for hunting! Animals don't see colors very well and don't see red as red. They see it as a shade of what humans would say is grey! Animals notice movement and contrasts better than humans but red to an animal looks like a neutral shade of color, like tan is to a human! Color doesn't matter much it's how it contrasts and moves against the back ground color.

BTW, my camo looks just fine after 4600 mi.(no mud just trail riding). I wouldn't hesitate to buy camo again.:lala:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I really like the looks of the Camo Grizz and am pretty dedicated to buying that color, but those pictures made me cringe. Do you think the new "textured" paint for 2012 will help prevent this wearing?
No. I bought a 2012 Camo 700 this year and it doesn't have the textured finish of the solid color. No wear yet but its only a few months old.

·
Registered
103 Posts
mine 09 looks great after 1600 hard miles has a few scratches but you cant see them, no wear marks, its been rolled in every direction and the finish/plastics are still great!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like some of you have bad luck. My 08 camo is holding up excellent and would never trade it for the green or blue. P.S. never gets washed. Running on the stock 25" tires it doesn't get muddy either. Meaning the fenders catch everything, not that it doesn't see mud. My 2020 xtr is a different story, scratched first time I sat on it and flings mud and snow everywhere. Surely it will look like crap here soon. Wish the 2020 camo wasn't so ugly, I would've bought it instead.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts