Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Those that own camo grizzly 700s??

18K views 42 replies 34 participants last post by  Grizz2011 
#1 ·
How has the camo lasted on your camo bike?
Does it peel or fade like others?
Trying to decide camo or solid color!!

#2 ·
i have ducks unlimited, edge of fenders are worn with grass/weeds rubbing(added fender extensions to cover) and below seat is worn from my legs as i stand alot when riding. so i am dissapointed with that
Blue Grizz shows all the stess marks, so it has lots of white streaks
Red Grizz cleans up the best, for me
Green looks the worst in my eyes, cousin has this one

#3 ·
well, I have been happy with mine up until this weekend. I had a passenger and she put her boots on the fenders and rode like that for a while. This caused the camo to rub off of the fender. So I have 2 big white spots on my rear fenders and there is nothing I can do about it.

#6 ·
Can't beat GREEN. That's what your going use to BUY it with! Scracthes don't show up much on green and all the wheels look real good on it. Just give ut a good wax job new spray it off and away you go. A solid color I like better. But not the BLACK it's hot quick in the sun. I wouldn't buy black again after having that Foreman 500. No black, no honda. So GREEN just keep it shinny. Line em up, next choice RED. OH there it is!

#7 ·
I also have the camo and the very fist thing you should do if you decide to go that way is putting clear paint protection film (helicopter tape) from 3m on it (I tried another Venture and its extremly difficult to work with). Its pretty involved installing it over the shapes of the grizzly but you'll have no worries then about your camo wearing off. I did all of my wheel opening edges and around the gas tank but still need to finish up the rear fenders as everyone mentions that riding with a passenger does hvac to the camo.

#8 ·
IMGPIMGP1947.jpg1946.jIMGP1948.jpgpg

Don't waste your money on this BS camo Yamaha put out. Go with a solid color, plus its cheaper to replace then this over priced garbage.

Pics speak for themselves.

Attachments

#9 ·
My buddies camo looks even worse and hes had the bike for a year. It's terrible.

#10 ·
Yep it comes off fast, I think I even payed an extra 600 for this mess. What was I thinking, it makes my 09 look like an 98.

#11 ·
WOW These ''new'' bikes don'tb seem to hold up! My '05 Kodiak still looks new and I use it for hunting and a tree knocking brush buster.

#13 ·
I maintain my bike, the camo just sucks ass. Wears off way too easy. They have changed the process of applying camo more then a few times so who knows you got lucky but not me and many others.

Oh and it shows scratches, check out the black plastic on the fenders, not the mention the horrible looking white.

Love the look of it and I am a hunter but never will I buy it again, solid colors only. Spend the 600 on mods instead.

#14 ·
My 08 ducks unlimited is just fine.

I had an 05 camo grizzly 660 and loved the camo scheme on that one. 1700 miles and it looked like it was right off the showroom floor. It was definitely better quality than what is on the 08 700 though.

#15 ·
Wow some of those pics are crazy with how much its worn off what kind of pants are you guys wearing that rub it off so bad. I wear my carhartt stuff and it hasn't rubbed off at all really and mines a 07 with a ton of use. Maybe some of the finishes are better than others my buddy has a camo one like mine a 2011 and we ride every weekend for a 100kms a day and they show no wear at all...

#16 ·
my 08 only has white showing where my girl boots have been rubbing, otherwise that's the only spot with about 1100 miles on it, i dont think those spots really started to show until 800 miles or so... have a friend with a 660 regular camo and another 08 DU 700 and both are the same... only starting to show wear from having someone ride on the back

#18 ·
I have over 1000 miles on my 2008 ducks unlimited and mine looks great. Scratches dont show, when my kids or a tree bends the fenders, it doesnt turn white. I cant beleive how those pics look. Has to be just a bad run or something. I squeeze my legs like riding a bull when riding the fast trials and tracks, and mine shows no wear at all.

#19 ·
i have a camo still looks good,, but after a little thought,, after i gave my fender flares to a buddy for his 550. about bed linner the wear spots,, like fenders etc,, also head of a whole quad getting rino lined.. any colour you want under the rainbow ,. really tough ,not all that much money, , and doesnt look all that bad!! again just food for thought

#21 ·
x2 my camo looks like new still after a 4 yr old jumping on it and mad riding thru brush ect i use pledge to keep it lookin good help with mud but 1 yr later still looks like new no issue so far

#23 ·
i'm pushing 3900kms on my 07 with camo and it's wearing off by my legs, but nowhere near as bad as the pics mill posted. you really gotta be straddling her pretty hard to be wearing it off like that.

that said, any surface camo will eventually wear off and it seems like your riding style dictates how fast it wears off. mud acts like sandpaper when you rub it against your machine and repeated rubbing will cause this. i like to use my feet to rock the machine rather than straddling and rocking with my legs.

after about 3000kms of hard riding with lots of rocking back and fourth. very little wear if any....

#26 ·
Agreed mud acts like sandpaper and I do ride hard in some nasty stuff, that has def helped to speed up the process but it started wearing off when my bike was brand new and it had never been in a mudhole yet. It also seems that different camo patterns hold up better then others. Maybe they are applied differently due to the patents on the pattern. My bros big bear camo looks brand new, WTF? Different plastics, different company? For me it doesn't matter what pants i'm wearing after each ride a little more is gone.

IMO camo looks the best new but after that it's all down hill. Waste of money to pay for something that you know will wear off and can make resale impossible without new plastics cause it looks old and beat to shit.

Overall everyone's camo is wearing off so if it was a vote from camo owners I think in the end camo gets a thumbs down.

Next plastics will def be solid color.

#24 ·
My sons 2010 camo is coming off, but in farness, we ride heavy mud, so the action of the mud on his waders rubbing against the plastic act like sandpapar, just wished the color of the plastic was olive green instead of white

#25 ·
After reading so many problems in reguards to yamahas camo. When I bought my wife her machine. I bought a clear sticky film tint materialand applied it where there would be the most rubbing. I am hoping this will last for a long time. You can not even tell its there.

#28 ·
The new to me 09 Camo grizz with 480 miles on it has some boot rub marks from little kids.None where your legs rub.My 09 Rhino camo looks brandnew after 3K hard mile rubbing up against every thing.I think they use different methods when dipping as the 2 machines both 09's when side x side the camo colors are a little different

#31 ·
X2 on the 3M Scotchguard. Put it on the fenders before installing my overfenders to try to prevent wear from the two plastics rubbing together. Also put some on both sides of gas tank and also under the rear rack where my bag overhangs the rack and rubs the camo. So far seems to be great stuff and is not lifting up at the corners or anything. Very easy to install on flat areas, little difficult on curved sections, but you get the hang of it pretty quick. I also agree with several of the others that yes the camo does not hold up very well. Starting to see wear in spots where two plastics are in contact with each other. Wouldn't be so big of an issue if the plastic underneath was green or black instead of white. Camo does look nice and hide the dirt, but next time going with red or green.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.