Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 grizzly 700 with power steering, a 2" lift, 27" zillas, itp 14" wheels, and a big gun exhaust, tear in seat but I'm getting it redone It has 58xx miles on it. New bearings, new ball joints, rebuilt calipers in front, new brake rotors and pads in front, needs a lil work on back brakes. Looking to get a sportsman 850. Anyone know about how much I could get out of my grizzly?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Keep the Grizz as a backup for when your Sportsman is out of commission. It's worth more in that manner than what a 12 year old machine will fetch.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Yep keep it as a back up for the POPO you're going to need it. Around here with those miles and needing brake work it's about a 3K machine. Prices vary greatly by location.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the only problem with keeping it is I'm 15 almost 16 so money is very very limited and I have to work hard for everything I get so I kinda need every penny I can get lol. Or else I'd def keep it

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep keep it as a back up for the POPO you're going to need it. Around here with those miles and needing brake work it's about a 3K machine. Prices vary greatly by location.
Seems about right here in Illinois too. I was thinking 3-3500

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Do yourself a favor, and do not buy a Polaris. If you ride like I did at your age, you will break the Sportsman very often. Bushings, wheel bearings, ball joint, and eventually the frame will crack. It is a damn shame, because they are awesome to ride. The power, ergonomics, and ride are second to none. But, they are a POS.

If you want more power, look in to a Brute Force with EPS.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If money is hard to come every penny counts I would keep the bike that is paid for already. K believe the Grizzly is more reliable then the Polaris hands down. Sure a new bike is nice and flashy but remember Brand New means a new note. Not to mention you would have to set this one up the way you as they come stock like any other bike unless you by the High Lifter. You could by used, but you are buying someone else’s stuff. I can tell you this bike has been well taken care of, fluids changed every 6 months kept in a shop or under a roof. Never been snorkeled or sunk. But let’s be honest we buy these bikes and a lot us mud ride, so yeah they get abused. Keep what ya got and save your money, make what repairs you have to to the bike you have now.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Def keep it jmo at 15 an 16 i beat my big red to death an i was a back yard mechanic an half did it right used wheat i had but dunno ur money situation or what not but is a payment in the end worth it so u have to work even harder to pay that but just my thoughts nice ride looks good

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’d say keep it and learn to fix the issues that come up with it. That’s what I did when I was your age with an old YZ125 I had. It thought me how to work on bikes and gave me respect for the machine.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,512 Posts
Well the only problem with keeping it is I'm 15 almost 16 so money is very very limited and I have to work hard for everything I get so I kinda need every penny I can get lol. Or else I'd def keep it

You just made an excellent argument for not buying that Polaris. Get the Griz fixed up or sell it and work toward a newer one. Heck, go get a King Quad if you're looking for more power. But don't buy a Polaris. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If money is hard to come every penny counts I would keep the bike that is paid for already. K believe the Grizzly is more reliable then the Polaris hands down. Sure a new bike is nice and flashy but remember Brand New means a new note. Not to mention you would have to set this one up the way you as they come stock like any other bike unless you by the High Lifter. You could by used, but you are buying someone else’s stuff. I can tell you this bike has been well taken care of, fluids changed every 6 months kept in a shop or under a roof. Never been snorkeled or sunk. But let’s be honest we buy these bikes and a lot us mud ride, so yeah they get abused. Keep what ya got and save your money, make what repairs you have to to the bike you have now.
To be honest. I've beat this grizzly up and I do not believe it's going to last a whole lot longer and I'm trying to get out of the whole mud riding thing and find a 100% stock sportsman with a couple hundred miles on it. My brother had one and he never had any problems with it and he beat it up more than any guy I've ever known. My dad has also had pretty good luck with Polaris and that's all he has bought his whole life.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't get me wrong, I love my grizzly and all but I just need more power. If they had a grizzly 850 I would get it but if I wait till they come out they will be way more than my budget. Next summer I'm going to start looking for a sportsman that is 5-6k with a couple hundred miles. They are one of the nicest most powerful bikes in my opinion. Im just not a guy that likes to hold on to the same thing for a long time. If I get a newer grizzly it will all feel the same to me. I like change

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do yourself a favor, and do not buy a Polaris. If you ride like I did at your age, you will break the Sportsman very often. Bushings, wheel bearings, ball joint, and eventually the frame will crack. It is a damn shame, because they are awesome to ride. The power, ergonomics, and ride are second to none. But, they are a POS.

If you want more power, look in to a Brute Force with EPS.
The brute forces are nice but I ride wheelies all the time and climb hills and have heard plenty of story's about their v-twins not liking that very much

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are your guys opinion on Brute forces for trail riding, road riding, hills, and probably wheelies

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
To be honest. I've beat this grizzly up and I do not believe it's going to last a whole lot longer and I'm trying to get out of the whole mud riding thing and find a 100% stock sportsman with a couple hundred miles on it. My brother had one and he never had any problems with it and he beat it up more than any guy I've ever known. My dad has also had pretty good luck with Polaris and that's all he has bought his whole life.

Why do you feel it won't last much longer?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why do you feel it won't last much longer?
I've been pretty hard on it and it doesn't seem to be running the same as when u bought it last September. It has also had a rough life before me

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just curious on what you guys think of the Brute Force 750? They look pretty nice.

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
A buddy here has one and it is faster in a straight line than the grizz. I took it for a spin a couple weeks ago to remember why I didn't buy one when I was looking and decided to get the grizz.
BUT...it has a lot of design problems or aspects too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A buddy here has one and it is faster in a straight line than the grizz. I took it for a spin a couple weeks ago to remember why I didn't buy one when I was looking and decided to get the grizz.

BUT...it has a lot of design problems or aspects too.
What would be some of the design problems?

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
Too low to the ground for this area is a big problem, and the back-shift mechanism sucks during aggressive riding are just two....
Then there is the deal of no park position in the transmission and the brake pressure bleeding down with the hand park brake locked on. He has to be careful with how he parks on a slope......a couple years ago the park brake kept locking 'on' during rides due to crap in the cable so now we have that disabled and make sure when we stop he has a big rock to lean against.
And like with the popo the shift level is on the wrong side.....
Also, if we keep the 750 close to the trailer for the day, the sorry fuel mileage can be dealt with.
In the end, straight line speed is nice but who rides straight lines all day? A 700 grizz is not a slouch out of the hole and can be set up better for the trail than other bikes. You said your's had a rough previous life, and you are not easy on it either so maybe you need to sell your's and get another 700 and set it up yourself.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts