Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
What would be some of the design problems?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

One of the things I remember when checking the specs on the Brute Force a while back ago was the ground clearance was lacking, ~8" vs ~12" for the Grizzly.
My 91 Honda Civic 3DR HB SI has a ground clearance ~8".
My 2011 Grizzly just hit 1000 hours and 9600+ miles and I have no complaints.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
My 09 Grizzly is at 7500 miles 600 hrs and that's year round riding -25 to 100 f temperatures . Always runs perfect, can't imagine a more reliable solid machine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yep keep it as a back up for the POPO you're going to need it. Around here with those miles and needing brake work it's about a 3K machine. Prices vary greatly by location.

Yes, and make sure the POPO is insured for fire loss, check out the recalls also! IMO stay away from Polaris.

Attached is a Polaris Sportsman that burned down at the WNF this April. Attached Thumbnails

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes, and make sure the POPO is insured for fire loss, check out the recalls also! IMO stay away from Polaris.

Attached is a Polaris Sportsman that burned down at the WNF this April. Attached Thumbnails
Ouch

·
Registered
36 Posts
Broke Force! I have a 2016 RZR XP 1000 and my buddy has a 850 Sportsman HL. Both are fun as hell to drive. Tons of power, yet the thing I’ve noticed is it seems like there is a serious quality control problem. My RZR has had 5 recalls completed all within the first year of ownership. We are talking the ecu and voltage regulator were replaced. My friend 2017 HL...that disappointment. He has less then 40 hours on it and just replaced the rear diff along with transmission work. Somehow water got in the rear diff even though this bike is snorkeled from the factory and has never been sunk. He had problems with the inner clutch cover not being sealed from the factory and it would take in water. Another friend has a 2016 HL and it’s a fix after every ride. If you want a new bike Yamaha or Honda is your best bet for reliability. Not Kawasucki, not Arctic Crap... Canned Hams are pretty nice just pricey to buy and fix!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey guys. So I'm debating now wether if I want to keep the grizzly and put a bbk in it and if so what kit should I go with and how hard is it to do?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Or what else you guys recommend performance wise (it burn oil and I'd like to fix that)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not that you need to see/hear it, but another vote to keep the grizzly. I ride with a ton of Hondas and they seem to be good quads just not as much power as our grizzlys. We have one guy that is on his second HL Sportsman and he rides with us about 40% of the time due to it being in the shop. Exhaust sounds better than our grizzlys but there is just something about being able to hear the single cylinder start every single time we want to go ride that I like more! He complains that they are very heavy machine as well. I think you will be happier with the grizzly. However when the thing dies hit me up and I may be interested in picking it up. I like a nice little project quad! haha, KEEP IT.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Not that you need to see/hear it, but another vote to keep the grizzly. I ride with a ton of Hondas and they seem to be good quads just not as much power as our grizzlys. We have one guy that is on his second HL Sportsman and he rides with us about 40% of the time due to it being in the shop. Exhaust sounds better than our grizzlys but there is just something about being able to hear the single cylinder start every single time we want to go ride that I like more! He complains that they are very heavy machine as well. I think you will be happier with the grizzly. However when the thing dies hit me up and I may be interested in picking it up. I like a nice little project quad! haha, KEEP IT.
I'm going to keep it. I'd like to rebuild it with a bbk because it is burning oil but not really sure how.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm going to keep it. I'd like to rebuild it with a bbk because it is burning oil but not really sure how.

They're pretty easy to work on, just download a manual and you will be set. Be patient, ask questions and read and reread if you don't understand. There are a lot of good people on hear that can help out along the way as well! You got this!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
They're pretty easy to work on, just download a manual and you will be set. Be patient, ask questions and read and reread if you don't understand. There are a lot of good people on hear that can help out along the way as well! You got this!
Thanks! Kinda nervous to get inside the motor. farthest I've ever been is the one way which I need to do again.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks! Kinda nervous to get inside the motor. farthest I've ever been is the one way which I need to do again. I'll look around for a manual. Will that tell me somewhat how to do it?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts