Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After fitting a uni-filter(p/n AU 6241ST ) & an iridium plug(ngk CPR7EAIX-9) I was happy enough with the smoother idle & slight gain in power, the back off popping was worse but the ais is not blocked yet & will be looked at.
I got in the high flow a/cleaner lid from EHS as well as their EFI tuner box, so I fitted the lid to experiment & it flows a bit too much air for the stock efi to contend with(which I expected) & definitely needs the tuner box to get the best out of it, so at this stage back on with the stock lid, I will do the ais delete next & see if it calms the popping down, then put in the purple spring & 1.5mm shims, after that the tuner goes in & an exhaust tip, which may get reduced in dia. to try to keep it quiet but also have a bit of note to it as well, plan A (subject to change :grin2:)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Cool. Sounds like a good plan. I'll be interested to follow this, thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you want to notice a difference change the weights in your clutch. Swap out four of them to the 450 Kodiak weights and you will get more grunt out of the hole with her

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well crazy, that sounds like a good idea, thanks, the whole idea is to put in parts that don't need special tools, squeezers or clampers to get a job done,(which a lotta guys don't have) the concern is what can we get away with before belt slippage causes drama's, the search will continue!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
You won't be disappointed in the performance gains with the 1.5 mm shim and purple spring.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very true Vincent, I have these ready & waiting & is probably the 1st mod you should do, but, mechanically, what is easy for some is a nightmare for others, so at this stage I'm selecting mod's that are relatively easy to fit.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
With my 550, I drove it stock for about 300kms, then I started with only a 1 mm shim. Thought that was great so 200kms later I did the 1.5mm shim. Liked that to so 1000 kms later I finally added the EPI Orange spring, almost immediately I found it reved too much when cruizing so I switched out the stock 16g weights for 18g weights. Drove that for another 1500kms and finally upgraded to the fancy Coop45 machined sheave. Loved that alot and shortly after when I upgraded to heavier Pitbull Growler tires I added a 0.5mm shim to my machined sheave.

Long story short, theirs nothing wrong with taking it step by step and having a longer journey to finally end up with the results that make you happy. :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been at it again, happy with the a/cleaner & iridium plug I fitted the EHS tuner, this fitted up pretty easy & anyone with the skills to change the plug & remove panels won't have a problem fitting the tuner, instructions were easy to follow & every thing you need was there, maybe a few more cable tys, so what we have is iridium plug, hi-flow a/cleaner, tuner box(this box was ordered for an exhaust tip) & stock exhaust, at start up all led's flashed thru there sequences & settled down after about a minute, onto a test ride, power increase's were good & noticeable, rear wheels broke traction very easy now(stock tyres), jamming the throttle got the wheels up about 6" but was a bit boggy & rich due to the tune being for a free flowing tip, but no flat spots, with the correct tune it will be a really nice combo & still quiet with the stock exhaust.
So could I leave well enough alone??? NOT a chance! The exhaust tip(Hunterworks) was put on & the hi-flow a/cleaner lid(probably didn't need it but why not) This brought the tuner back into to line with the correct tune as ordered & kept giving improvements, sound wasn't to bad, I can live with it, I'm now pushing the limit of the stock 4ply tyres, suspension is still doing the job, I'm thinking that the secondary spring is close to the limit as well(maybe I just wanna put in my purple spring >:)) this combo definitely gets up & go's, the EHS tuner proved to be a plug & play unit that you don't have to mess with, but if you suffer from fiddleritis you can get your fingers in it :grin2:
Will be away for a few days & when I get back I'll be fiddling with springs & things which might liven it up a bit more.

Reactions: danngerous667
1 - 8 of 8 Posts