Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gotten rid of this pain in the butt? Mine will never see mud and when you are getting stuck going downhill in snow the last thing I need is my thumb freezing off holding that stupid button. It has no benefit for me and it has to go. I don't need my quad telling me how much throttle to use :) If no one has done it I'll find a wiring diagram for it and figure out which wires to jump so it is no longer a problem.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
No idea if still applicable to later model years but discussion about bypass on ancient thread here

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
The momentary switch might be able to be changed out to a on/off type switch.
Steven at www.501parts.com may be able to advise you on a compatible switch.
The momentary switch could be by-passed with a toggle switch. This would make it possible to switch between the momentary or the locked on/off.
#54 is the momentary switch. The green wire runs to the ECU. Black to ground.

Rectangle Schematic Parallel Font Pattern

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
Some of the 700 Kodiaks have a manual lever to engage the 4wd but do not have 4wd lock. On these modals the green wire is omitted.
501parts offers a manual 4wd locker system "The Grabber". With his locker system the rev-limiter does not function because the electronics are not connected.

The square gray momentary switch is used as the starter button.

Reactions: Grizzerino

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I see some discussion on that other forum if you leverage a toggle switch you need to make sure it is engaged before starting or limiting will still occur. Again no idea if applicable to later model years.

Although as reogem mentions I can’t see how use of a toggle wouldn’t work.if you wire in it should emulate holding button down with your thumb

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
Nearly all the posts you find will only by-passing the reverse rev-limiter as in your post above. That is a very simple mod.
Members have just grounded the wire, some have installed a switch, and others have wire in a relay so the reverse light still works.

Reactions: dag1401

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Interesting info in your old post here

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is true just did it and nothing comes up in the display :( Guess if the ecu see's a ground from that wire at start up it doesn't like it. So looks like a on off switch or maybe one of the places who do ecu work on these can eliminate it without any "side effects" guess I will have to call around tomorrow. I know they can do all kinds of things to the Yxz hopefully someone has dug that far into the Grizzly.

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
I personally don't have a need to by-pass the OR button but I do find this an interesting project.

Thinking about it this morning. While there is complicated electronic circuits that could be used. Finding the parts, assembling and waterproofing would be some of the issues.
There is having the ECU hacked which is expensive and risky.
Maybe a mechanical lock similar to the 4wd lock cover could be fab'ed

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
I personally don't have a need to by-pass the OR button but I do find this an interesting project.

Maybe a mechanical lock similar to the 4wd lock cover could be fab'ed
@Grizzerino ...I see in your intro that this maybe something you might consider looking at.

·
Premium Member
'23 XTR
43 Posts
@Grizzerino ...I see in your intro that this maybe something you might consider looking at.
I was actually checking this thread out last night. I'll scan and measure the area tomorrow and start noodling on a design akin to the diff lock / flap idea. That would be a nice mechanical fix.

🤙 I'll be back with some protoype screenshots tomorrow hopefully. Sunday Funday.

-rino

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
...and away we go. Printing the housing now.
Nice! My first thought was that a metal pin would be use similar to the "sliding gate" in your design.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts