Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Premium Member
'23 XTR
Nice! My first thought was that a metal pin would be use similar to the "sliding gate" in your design.
Thanks! It will be a little more elegant than the proto gate, but that is the premise. Slide to lock, type deal. 馃

I'm finishing up a print now, then I'll test fit and post some shots of the housing. Then tackle the lock.

Premium Member
'23 XTR
Ok, here's the prototype housing. I'm printing all the prototypes in TPU/Flexible filament for ease of fitment. Final parts will be Carbon Fiber reinforced Nylon. Still working out the attachment on the base of the existing override housing. I'm either going to epoxy an anchor, or place some threaded bits in those little humps underneath. We'll see there.

Gonna work on the base plate / attachment area this evening, then finish up the slider. Hopefully have something ready to field test this week.

Premium Member
'23 XTR
Quick update: Changed the button to be thicker and easier to operate with gloves. Now has a smaller throw too.

Open

Closed

I'm printing the final components now in Natural Nylon. The carbon fiber reinforced was so rigid it couldn't be fit past the button/grip tilt. 馃槄 ...so I dialed it back to just Nylon. Coated it can handle just about any temps we'd throw at it.

I'll post back with some test fits...maybe this week? We'll see how Thanksgiving goes.

-rino

Premium Member
'23 XTR
Forums, the mother of invention...
Fact. I'm a printin sumb*tch.

So the Brother in Law arrived (who I truly love) ...he said "Whatcha been workin on?"

He cracks a beer, hands me one and I think 馃懡 ya sure...?

Then the magic actually happened. Without prior testing, the print ended with him here...

We test fit.

...and without any attachment it worked. "flawless victory" mortal kombat voice

Here we go. I think I'll have some attachment ideas in the morning.

#family

Just wait until I explain our 7 year Potato Gun feud...with pictures. 馃槄

Happy Thanksgiving

Premium Member
If trails aren't intense and need my full attention I drift off on to other thoughts. While riding yesterday I was thinking about the kill switch. How many riders really use it as intended or for any other reason? Years ago it was needed when we had access to the DIAG mode. Since the DIAG mode was removed I have never used it for any reason. The KS on my 13 caused me some grief as it was shorting out on it own. I seem to remember others having this issue. I had to take it and clean it. It seems that a tether type keyed safety switch would be a better alternative.
The kill switch could be converted to the Override the Override button by moving the wires. The current override button is wired as normally open while the KS is normally closed.

This is a late alternative idea. I don't want to discourage or derail @Grizzerino momentum on the override attachment.

Reactions: Grizzerino

Premium Member
'23 XTR
If trails aren't intense and need my full attention I drift off on to other thoughts. While riding yesterday I was thinking about the kill switch. How many riders really use it as intended or for any other reason? Years ago it was needed when we had access to the DIAG mode. Since the DIAG mode was removed I have never used it for any reason. The KS on my 13 caused me some grief as it was shorting out on it own. I seem to remember others having this issue. I had to take it and clean it. It seems that a tether type keyed safety switch would be a better alternative.
The kill switch could be converted to the Override the Override button by moving the wires. The current override button is wired as normally open while the KS is normally closed.

This is a late alternative idea. I don't want to discourage or derail @Grizzerino momentum on the override attachment.
Would the computer throw a fit if the button state is changed upon ignition? Definitely worth a shot. There are a lot of "push click" style buttons I've been researching too. Maybe just switch the button... #puns

The manual override I'm working would definitely be more prone to wear than a button switcheroo. So this is a wonderful avenue to check out.

Premium Member
The switch would need to be switched off until needed. The ECU does check the circuit on start up and it will cause a problem if it finds the circuit activated.
I don't know how the ECU will react to the override being locked on for a long period of time it just may time out.
A locking switch was recommended earlier in the is thread. I didn't try to find one that will fit. They are out there.

Premium Member
I don't recall the if square button is a part of the switch or just a cover over a micro switch. Just being a cover would make finding a switch much easier. A quick search found that there are many switches out there cheap on Amazon.

Premium Member
'23 XTR
Yeah, I've got quite a few switches and locking push buttons in my drawer. An NO position should keep the ECU happy in that case, correct? As far as the "time out" length, I wouldn't think that is an issue if it's short term use. Keeping it mashed may have some questionable / negative effects.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I know I held mine down for at least 20 minutes on my last ride :) If the button is engaged at start up the gauge does not display 4x4 or diff lock. I know it still goes into 4x4 it just doesn't show it on the display, I shut off the motor and turned the 4x4 off and you could hear the actuator. Felt llike it also locked the diff. but I didn't spin the tires to confirm.

Premium Member
I know I held mine down for at least 20 minutes on my last ride ............
I was think like engage for a hour or more....but unless in a straight line ride who could fight the handle bars that long.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts