Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timing question:. When I took the camshaft off , I didn't take it apart. The sproket and decompression mechanism were left as is. Now, when I put it back together, do I still have to take the sproket off the camshaft to do the timing? Logically, if I didn't take it apart, everything should still be lined up on the camshaft The lobes are down, the 2 holes are facing up, and the dots on the sproket are in line with the head. Logically, the third dot up top should be behind that little plate. Does that sound right?

Valve cover gasket question : What type of RTV should I use? Red, blue, black, copper, grey? The previous owner seemed to have used red but the previous owner also used screws to hold down the plastics in some places and welded a rear driveshaft so I'm not trusting previous owners methods.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Yes you have it correct on the timing. If it wasn't removed from the cam, then everything will be lined up. Just make sure all timing marks are where they should be once the timing chain is back on with the adjuster engaged.

On the valve cover, you use silicone gasket maker. I always use grey, but that's a personal choice.

Reactions: Scorpyon

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the valve cover, you use silicone gasket maker. I always use grey, but that's a personal choice.
Grey is an excellent choice IMO. I went through the service manual after my first post in this thread and it says to use Yamaha bond No. 1215 for each place that sealant is needed. I used Ultra Grey to seal the cases and apparently it's the same as Yamaha bond. So that's what I'll use for the valve cover and the magneto cable seal.

·
Registered
269 Posts
This has got the makings of a great rebuild Scorpyon & with all the pic's we get to nose around inside the cases with ya, Thanks!

Reactions: Scorpyon

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The service manual says to put sealant on the cylinder head, basically on every flat surface. Well, I won't be doing that.
Why? On the cylinder head there are two areas that don't have a mating surface with the cylinder head cover.
That would leave sealant free to potentially get dislodged and have a party in there. Not gonna happen. Every mating surface on the cylinder head cover will get the sealant.

When I split the cases I found this. Sealant where it wasn't needed is probably the reason why that happened.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You and I have a different approach to things. I applied sealant, THEN I looked in the book. (To be fair I only looked for the torque specs).

End result was the same, I didn't apply any sealant to the same spaces you arent. Buutttt for different reasons. I looked at the head and decided it was a useless area to put sealant because it's not actually doing anything there.

Keep up the good work man, you're doing great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts