Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I restored a 95 2x4 Timberwolf 250 for my 8 year old, and it's been a great quad, but he needs a decent set of rears to keep up with me in the mud. I am looking for the best rears on this quad. We ride in a lot of mud. I've looked at 23 10 10s, 24 11 10s, and 22 10 10s, and I am stumped on what to get. The Kenda Bear Claws look nice, and so do the ITP Mudlites, but I'm thinking a little more agressive would help that quad out. Will a 24" tire fit well, and will a 11" wide tire fit as well? I'm thinking the wider the tire, the better on the rear. I've even seen some 24 12.5 10s, but I don't know if there are any adverse issues that show up by going wider than the rear rim width. Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I am orderin ssomething today for his Birthday coming up. Thanks for the help in advance.

I attached a photo of it done the day before Christmas. I was cutting it very close to being done. I plasti-dipped the fairings, and had all the racks and wheels powdercoated. New carb kit, along with a new choke cable. It's a great little quad for his first.

Attachments

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,825 Posts
Sorry, don't have a tire recommendation for you but wanted to say that quad looks really clean... nice job!

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
Maxxis zilla makes a light but aggressive tire that maybe a option

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
And u did a great job on that restore

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
im looking for similar tires for my dad's beartracker. what i think is key on these 250s is to keep the weight down. definitely dont go taller unless you REALLY need to. and i wouldnt go much wider either. im planning on sticking to the stock size.

T

·
0 Posts
The GBC Gator in 23-10-10 might be worth a look.... by the way nice job on the Timberwolf .

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
A lot of Sport bike guys around here run Bear Claws when they want a good mud/trail tire. The smaller sport bike sized Bearclaw has lugs like the big 27" version, not the wimpy lugs like the 25" versions .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the compliments. I didn't see any of these options before I ordered so I got ITP mudlites. I have them on my Polaris 400 and they do well. I just wanted a meatier tire, but those will have to do for now. I will post some more pics of the 250.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Mud Lites will do better than the current tires on the ATV. Which By they way looks amazing! Very good job at making it look so good!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If not mudlites, what would have you recommended? I wish I could have got something like Kenda Executioners, but most the stuff that side, isn't made in a 23". I looked at Swamp Foxs really hard, but the lady at Rocky Mountain told me they don't last as long as the Mudlites, and we're nearly equal tread depth. I hope we are happy with the midlites. Thanks for the comliments, it was his Christmas gift, so I wanted it to be nice.

·
Banned
2,789 Posts
Awesome job on the restoration, looks great! I think the Mudlites will do fine on that quad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome job on the restoration, looks great! I think the Mudlites will do fine on that quad.
Thanks, I will follow up with updates as they are only going to take one ddaytto arrive. If anyone has wondered about plasti dip, there is the finish you will get. I had the fairing sandblasted, then I hand sanded, then sprayed them. It is holding up excellent. Again, thanks for the compliment. That was 2 weeks straight in the garage after work.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Too late now, they came next day. Both reps claimed it is there number 1 sold tire. I think it will do okay on his little 250. If not, we will go with something else down the road.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Too late now, they came next day. Both reps claimed it is there number 1 sold tire. I think it will do okay on his little 250. If not, we will go with something else down the road.
yeah for some reason, people eat them up. reasonably priced, and they look "cool"... i swear the dealers must have incentives to sell them. watch out for sticks. ive seen these things need plugs from people looking at them weird. hopefully they work out for you ok though.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I honestly think for a smaller quad mud lites will do just fine. More aggrsive than stock tires, but yet not too heavy. And the small ATVs aren't quite as heavy, nor have the power to 'rip the lugs off' so to speak. As I said in the other mud lite post, they did great on my AC 250 years ago.

I wish Highlifter still made the MST in the 22.5" size. Now that would be an awesome tire for the small ATVs!!!

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I honestly think for a smaller quad mud lites will do just fine. More aggrsive than stock tires, but yet not too heavy. And the small ATVs aren't quite as heavy, nor have the power to 'rip the lugs off' so to speak. As I said in the other mud lite post, they did great on my AC 250 years ago.

I wish Highlifter still made the MST in the 22.5" size. Now that would be an awesome tire for the small ATVs!!!
good point. ive only ever seen them on 550+ 4x4 machines in 25" size. could be a completely different story for the smaller machines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts