Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, let me start by saying I hate buying tires. Decent investment, so may choices and lots of opinions. That being said, I need input. I apologize if am asking a question that has been answered, but I have not had luck finding anything concrete. I am riding a stock 2016 Grizzly with EPS. My stock tires are about gone, surprised those only lasted a year but I am not sure how the previous owner used them.

I have to watch my budget so no new wheels this time around, just tires. I am really leaning towards a set of the Outlaw MST's. My main question is size. I really don't understand, yet, clutches, shim's, springs, etc. so this time around I am going to try to keep things close to stock. Stock size is 26-8-12 front, and 26-10-12 rear. So one quandary I have is running 9.5's on the fronts and 12's on the rear or something different. Outlaws are not offered in the factory widths, that I can find. I like the idea of running the same size tires on front and rear. Rotating makes sense to me. But it also makes sense how I read that can affect steering. I am open to 12's on the front and rear, but leery. What would you guys think of 9.5's on front and rear vs the 9.5 front, 12 rear? I am a function over fashion kind of guy, but must admit I prefer the look of matching fronts and rears. I still would not sacrifice function to achieve a look.

I ride in typical midwest / southeast environment. Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. Wide variety of conditions. I do not seek out mud holes, but if I come across one, I would like to have a decent shot at making it through. I ride on pavement a little. Most of my companions ride sport quads, and I swear they invite me just to be the pack mule! :wink2: So I got to make a decent attempt at keeping up! I have read a lot of good things about the Outlaws, but if anyone has a glaring choice I am missing, I have open ears. I really looked hard at the Bighorns and Growlers, but the Outlaws are winning me over based on reviews. I really liked the DWT Moapa Tires, but it seems like no one is running those. Any reason why?

Lastly, I am obviously looking for a great deal on the Outlaws.......any preferred vendors would be welcome. I can get them mounted.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I would run 9.5" fronts and 12" rears personally,
But many members have run 12" all around and reported back with minimal extra steering effort. Others with skinner tires all around and also had no issues with traction, so I guess you really can't go wrong.

Thing is if your using stock rims, your fronts are not as wide as the rears. ( think it's 6" vs 7.5") So rotating them may not be an option. If the case I would keep things simple and streight forward with 9.5" fronts and 12" rears.

Reactions: BuckeyeGrizzly

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
You can't rotate the factory wheels front to rear. They are different widths. If you want to do this, you'll need aftermarket wheels.

The Outlaw MST is a highly underrated tire right now. It simply is a fantastic tire. Always was and always will be. It is being shadowed by a huge tire market offerings right now.
The MST offers excellent all-terrain performance, and is known to be extremely wear resistant. Probably outlast the bike they are mounted on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks dezz and Vincent. That's why I am here. I never thought about them being different widths. I was hoping to go with the 9.5's all the way around. So my factory wheels will be fine with the 9.5" and 12" correct?

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Thanks dezz and Vincent. That's why I am here. I never thought about them being different widths. I was hoping to go with the 9.5's all the way around. So my factory wheels will be fine with the 9.5" and 12" correct?
Yes sir.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Good looking tire let us know how they do please. If my BHOG's ever wear out I might look at something more aggressive like these.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I will do for sure! I am excited to give them a shot.
Before purchasing, give Dan a call at Highlifter first. He'll do you right. His username on the Highlifter forums is Bushhog.
Great guy to deal with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update, got them installed. I attached one before pic and a few afters. 26-9.5-12 on front and 26-12-12 on rear. I am running factory recommended air pressure as of now. Any recommendations on a different air pressure? I haven't had a chance to put them to good use yet, but just riding around the house, they seem to be great.

I am off to Four Seasons PA. this weekend, we will see how they do.

I also have Fred on point now, that factory shifter had to go!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had a great time over the weekend at 4 Seasons Resort in PA. I really LOVE these tires. it rained Friday night, so the trails were about like drywall mud most of the day Saturday. It was almost like a thick clay consistency. If you got hit by a rooster tail off this mud, you knew it. As the day went on and lots of people were using the trails it only got worse.......or IMO better! I ran in 2wd 95% of the day with no problems at all. The only time I put it in 4wd were on some climbs containing softball size rocks, with turns that I couldn't power all the way up. Sunday afternoon things started to dry up so there was some dusty hard pack we ran on and I did not notice any issues. I ride with a Raptor 700 and a couple other 450 sport quads so we keep a pretty fast pace. I actually think it turns better than the factory tires I replaced.

This is my first set of tires other than the factory Maxxis, and I am a newer rider, some might have a different experience. If I get the wear out of them I read about I will be a very happy customer. They are heavy, but a lighter tire is lighter for a reason. I think this is going to be a good all around tire for my riding environment and could not be happier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts