Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had to repair one of my tires on my grizzly and saw that the max psi is 36 for my tires. What is the actual psi that should be in the tires? Or what does everyone recomend?

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
A high number like that is generally for seating the tire bead on the wheel.
4 to 6 psi works for most, with some running lower and a few like me at a little more.
Your tires and riding conditions play a big part in what works best for you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yea wouldn't go that high psi. If your riding in thick mud or dirt and need a lot of traction, go low like 4, but if you aren't, go a little higher. (The more air in the tires, the better mpg you'll get, less air-better traction)

·
Registered
55 Posts
The sticker on the left rear fender tells the recommended pressure. I run slightly lower than recommended to smooth out all the rocks in the desert.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I usually run 4 psi with 27s, sometimes even lower. If I didn't have beadlocks or if I had smaller tires I would run higher pressure to make sure the bead stayed on and to protect the wheel more.

What kind of tires do you have? Bias ply and radial react to pressure a little different.

Reactions: plumberjim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I usually run 4 psi with 27s, sometimes even lower. If I didn't have beadlocks or if I had smaller tires I would run higher pressure to make sure the bead stayed on and to protect the wheel more.

What kind of tires do you have? Bias ply and radial react to pressure a little different.
Stock tires not sure what they are. I have a 2014 grizzly 550

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I run 4.5 in the snow or if really rocky (lots of that around here), 5-5.5 otherwise.

·
Grizzled
3,559 Posts
4 to 6 psi works for most, with some running lower and a few like me that a little more.
Your tires and riding conditions play a big part in what works best for you.
Exactly.

With 26" Bighorn OGs, I run 6lbs in the front and 6.5lbs in the rear. Most of the terrain I ride is very rocky. I tried lower air pressure but settled where I'm at as it feels right for me. I do like to use throttle steer though.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
My old tires were hard as hell ( Carlisle mud wolfs) great tire just not smooth. In snow I would actually run 1 psi I did run them at zero a few times with punctures for long distances. My big horns ran at 4 on the grizzly and 8 on the sxs. Preassure is largely based on personal al preference

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
I've always run 5psi in my Growlers. I ran the same in my Bighorns too.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
There are a lot of variables here.
Tire make/model/size ?
Wheel width ? Bead locks ?
What bike do you own ?
What kind of riding do you do ?

My advice is to try different psi's and see what works best for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts