Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'LL soon be getting new tires n wheels for my grizz. Logged numerous hours online lookin at pics and pricing to narrow my decision on brand, size and style. 99% made up mind on Zillas. Mostly trails n a lil water n mud play. Wheels are still between ITP Hurricanes or MSA M12 Diesels or Elixers.
Size is my big question here. I've read up to 28s will not have any fitment issues with shocks turned up. And I like the look of big tires. I've found 27s that are 10 up front, 12 in rear or 28s of the same or 28s that are 9s and 11s.
Does anyone know which would cause more stress on the axles & joints? The higher angle of the 28s or the force of turning the wider tires? I do not run a lift but do have 2" spacers. Already considering hd axles too
If anyone has any pics of this setup I'd love to see em too thanks!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Your going to be fine in any size you wish. Axle stress comes from your thumb more so then the tires. 30s fit just fine with a little rub on the back fender ( but that doesn't last long.) If you ride mostly trails have you considered a more durable trail tire. I have no issue with zillas but they are soft and more easily punctured. I would lean towards growlers or big horns but that's just me

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply TRev. I'd really like to go with the 28s in 10 n 12 so that's good news. As far as durability I believe the Zillas will hold up fine for my style of riding. Mostly deer camp. 1 or 2 trail rides a year at atv parks. Not a lot of miles either. Old bike ran stock tires for 6 years with no issues. Current bike has HEAVY durable Baja Cross. Ride smooth n great on dry but found out they suck on wet rock n in play holes. They will last forever though. If Bighorns were in budget I'd go with them. Considered less expensive Kendas for their durability and performance but trying to lighten up on weight. Seems Zillas are well liked for an all around tire if you can get by with fewer miles on the softer rubber.
Still would love to see some pics on a grizzly???

·
Registered
106 Posts
2014 grizz 700 with 28x10 front and 28x12 rear, STI HD4 12" wheels 5+2 offset

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great GForce15! I'm going with the 28's. Which notch are your shocks set on? All the way up? I don't see a lift in your signature so I'm assuming you don't have one?

·
Registered
106 Posts
thanks. There is no lift. I think in that picture the rear shocks are 2nd stiffest setting and front is set a little softer. There is no issues with clearance. I have the front set stiffer in the winter for when plowing snow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts