Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd ask my share of tire questions before I make any purchases in the near future.

I'm currently running 26" mudlight XTR's . I feel they leave a lot to be desired when it comes to what I have to go through to get to some areas we hunt/explore. The other machine has ITP 589's and I would say there is a noticeable difference. BUT!! I want more as usual:p

I've been looking at tires such as zillas, executioners, and been heavily looking into mega mayhems.

I want a 28" tire that will keep paddling me through some nasty muskeg type mud and muck. Floating on top of it as long as you can, so wide tires are probably what I'm going after. My time is not spent all on mud either, a completely smooth ride is not a must, but I do spend a bit of time on the trails(not a lot).

What are your guys opinions on a good mud tire that won't always try to find the bottom in "bottomless" muskeg?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've watched a lot of their videos, heard the 28" outlaws were the roughest riding ones as well. Not a huge deal, but if I were to go the outlaw route I think I would just go with 27" outlaws due to weight and not wanting to break axles when out hunting on week long trips.

G

·
My 28s don't ride rough to me but I only run 5psi. At 5psi they do not round off like they do if I run 15-20 psi. I tried that and it ride too rough. Laws paddle more than dig. As long as my tires can turn I am moving.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If I was going to replace my XTR's, I would go with Zilla's. Much lighter, better all around traction, and still a smooth ride.

I don't know if you remember an old veteran around here named Way Up North (WUN for short) that lived out by the Knik river. He swore by Zilla's and had hundreds of pictures to back up their performance in our back country.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Spent the last few years running 26" ITP Mud Lites. Just switched to 27" Interco Swamp Lites. Haven't had a chance to run them in the mud yet. THey have neen doing better in the smow and ice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd go with Wide Zillas....nice and light.

Would be ideal to find some old balloon tires like the old Honda Trikes had....those would keep you floating.

The tires now always want to dig down.....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Check out ostacruiser on YouTube. I think all those guys run original high lifter outlaws.
You read my mind exactly civic lol

Out of all his videos i think ive seen maybe one grizzly and well compared to the power of the can-ams he came up short.

Id say try laws as well, i dont think zillas would have enough tread deapth to be able to paddle like the laws do, maybe mega mayhems since they are a little lighter and have a good bit of tread.

·
Registered
38 Posts
... Imo if you plan on confronting skeg on a regular basis i would go with as large a diameter tire as you could , I've seen guys who could fluke off getting through a bad patch of skeg on smaller tires (26-27's) but they are the exception and not the rule lol.. I've had the 29.5 outlaws 12 wide all around and they work very well ...

Currently I now run the 30" silverbacks 10' wide all around and although on paper it would seem I've lost some flotation (truthfully they are not the greatest muskeg tire , they tend to dig at the slightest sign of wheelspeed loss) I've noticed the machine seems to keep the wheel speed maintained a little bit easier as compared to the 12" wides all around...
They fit without a lift which is important because lets face it if you're going to be trying to cross patches of skeg you're GOING to be trying to stick your thumb rite through the bar till you either make it or you don't and THATS bad enough on axles nevermind if you add a lift ....

·
Registered
477 Posts
If good ole Alaska skeg is anything like the stuff we have here in Alberta, which can be endless stretches and quite often bottomless, I would run a true mud tire. Original Outlaws, Outlaw 2's, Gorilla Silverbacks, Mudzillas or Super Swamper Vampire EDL's. The OL2's probably by far the most impressive. They are all heavy tires and will rob lots of power, so with that being said, big and wide is not always the answer. Seen plenty of times where a smaller narrower tire does better, just because more wheel speed can be maintained. I run 26" mudzillas, and ground clearance can be a pain sometimes, so I tend to get high centered periodically, but that's when you zig zag across a trail where possible, instead of following the same old ruts. The tread bars are more inline with the face of the tire and have a tendency to dig more than propel forwards, but its all about throttle control. If I had to get new tires, I would probably go with a 27" outlaw myself. 9's up front and 12's in the back.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think Outlaws would be good. i remember ostacruiser saying a lot of people went back to the OG Outlaws cause they were lighter than the outlaw 2s.
I'd probably recommend the Zillas since they are pretty light, but from what i've seen they like to dig too.

I've had a lot more time on my Mega Mayhems to probably give a better review now. They do pretty decent on trail rides, but they hate sand and sand covered water bottoms. I sunk into some quick sand and they couldn't bite enough to get me anywhere and had to get winched out. Thick and nasty mud, they'll chew thru no problem. I was playing in some mud this weekend near the Knik River bridge and I got pretty far thru the mud in 2wd, once it stopped, i put it in 4wd and it pulled me right through. In anything pretty deep, they'll paddle and water wheelie as long as there isnt ice under the water. Overall i like em a lot. I really need to test em in a rocky area like sutton or kings river. Also when I first put em on, i can tell i lost some power, but it feels like the 1.5mm shim more than made up for it!

We'll have to meet up this summer so you can ride my grizzly and see what you think. Yamaha in wasilla has the best price on em! All the alaska guys should get together, it'd be nice to get a bunch of grizzlies out for a ride!

I also have some videos of me in the mud at Knik.
ITP Mega Mayhem mud test at Knik River 5/11/13 - YouTube

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think Outlaws would be good. i remember ostacruiser saying a lot of people went back to the OG Outlaws cause they were lighter than the outlaw 2s.
I'd probably recommend the Zillas since they are pretty light, but from what i've seen they like to dig too.

I've had a lot more time on my Mega Mayhems to probably give a better review now. They do pretty decent on trail rides, but they hate sand and sand covered water bottoms. I sunk into some quick sand and they couldn't bite enough to get me anywhere and had to get winched out. Thick and nasty mud, they'll chew thru no problem. I was playing in some mud this weekend near the Knik River bridge and I got pretty far thru the mud in 2wd, once it stopped, i put it in 4wd and it pulled me right through. In anything pretty deep, they'll paddle and water wheelie as long as there isnt ice under the water. Overall i like em a lot. I really need to test em in a rocky area like sutton or kings river. Also when I first put em on, i can tell i lost some power, but it feels like the 1.5mm shim more than made up for it!

We'll have to meet up this summer so you can ride my grizzly and see what you think. Yamaha in wasilla has the best price on em! All the alaska guys should get together, it'd be nice to get a bunch of grizzlies out for a ride!

I also have some videos of me in the mud at Knik.
ITP Mega Mayhem mud test at Knik River 5/11/13 - YouTube
That's what I like to hear!

I'm thinking about with going with 28" tall 11" wide mega mayhems all around or outlaws with 28" tall 12.5" in the rear and 10.5" in the front, but have a feeling I will be busting axles soon with that set-up(not lookin forward to that).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Figured I'd ask my share of tire questions before I make any purchases in the near future.

I'm currently running 26" mudlight XTR's . I feel they leave a lot to be desired when it comes to what I have to go through to get to some areas we hunt/explore. The other machine has ITP 589's and I would say there is a noticeable difference. BUT!! I want more as usual:p

I've been looking at tires such as zillas, executioners, and been heavily looking into mega mayhems.

I want a 28" tire that will keep paddling me through some nasty muskeg type mud and muck. Floating on top of it as long as you can, so wide tires are probably what I'm going after. My time is not spent all on mud either, a completely smooth ride is not a must, but I do spend a bit of time on the trails(not a lot).

What are your guys opinions on a good mud tire that won't always try to find the bottom in "bottomless" muskeg?
I know exactly what you're looking for, lived in Alaska and now in Northern Minnesota. As long as you don't spin them 27×12×12 vampires or28×12.5×12 outlaws are your best friend. My Honda 450 with 12 inch wide vampires would crawl through anything, Same tires on my cat 650 dug holes if I hit the throttle. Guessing you're out on the tundra and just want to make it across. Traditional super stampers come in a 27×12×12 now with a 1 inch lug,more of a paddle tire. I also ran my vamps on 8.5 inch wide wheels to get maximum footprint

·
Registered
477 Posts
I know exactly what you're looking for, lived in Alaska and now in Northern Minnesota. As long as you don't spin them 27×12×12 vampires or28×12.5×12 outlaws are your best friend. My Honda 450 with 12 inch wide vampires would crawl through anything, Same tires on my cat 650 dug holes if I hit the throttle. Guessing you're out on the tundra and just want to make it across. Traditional super stampers come in a 27×12×12 now with a 1 inch lug,more of a paddle tire. I also ran my vamps on 8.5 inch wide wheels to get maximum footprint
Nothing like pulling up an old post from the past. Dated 2013. I think he has his tires by now. If he even has the same machine still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts