Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to smooth out the ride on my 2021 Grizzly. Rides good now but 11 back surgeries I'd like smoother so ride mostly on hard pack and gravel some rock and mud some hills nothing much. Looking at terra-bit tires. Any suggestions are always welcome. Or would shocks be to first improvement?

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
If you have the money elka's would be the way to go stage 3. Get a hold of them they will set them up for you specifically for your writing style and the area you ride. You could even mention the medical thing and they may be able to soften them a bit more as they can tune them to pretty much any way you want. Then I would start looking at tires, your first step it would probably be smart to ditch the 14 in rims and go to a 12 so you actually get some rubber between the ground and the rim that will definitely soften the ride

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Looking to smooth out the ride on my 2021 Grizzly. Rides good now but 11 back surgeries I'd like smoother so ride mostly on hard pack and gravel some rock and mud some hills nothing much. Looking at terra-bit tires. Any suggestions are always welcome. Or would shocks be to first improvement?
I agree with CanadianKodiak, Elka stage 3 or 4, or 4's on the back 3's on the front, 11 back surgeries you will need a cushy ride, but Elka's are pricey but a small price to pay to keep your back happy and keep you riding, get a nice 6ply radial tire when you start looking at tires, also agree with the 12" rims, both will also contribute to making the ride cushy. hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
12" wheels really? How will that effect my ground clearance? What tire would you suggest ? What size? Has any one bought tires and wheels from Main Street cycle?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably be easier doing tires & wheels first my wife watches my disability pennies close hard to justify shocks on a new machine right off but tires so I don't tear up yard.

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
12" wheels really? How will that effect my ground clearance? What tire would you suggest ? What size? Has any one bought tires and wheels from Main Street cycle?
Your rim size doesn't effect ground Clarence at all. The overall diameter of your tire does. You can have a 1 in rim and a 30 in tire or you could have a 29 in rim and a 30 in tire it's still 30 in no matter what and your ground clearance in either situation will be roughly half that which is 15. Hopefully you're still following. But going to a smaller rim will put more rubber between the rim and the ground given the same overall diameter of the tire therefore giving you a softer more cushioned ride. My personal opinion is that an ATV any size shouldn't have larger than a 12 in rim. Leave the 14 in and larger for the side by sides. As for a tire size. I personally think that a 27 or 28-in tire is just about perfect on these bikes for general trail riding and the occasional mud hole as for what actual tire that's going to be up to the user based on what kind of terrain you actually travel on and what kind of riding you do and your style of riding.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Are your factory shocks set at the softest setting? What psi are your tires set at now ? These are free adjustments you can fine tune now to help until you can purchase tires.

Reactions: MNDirtRider

·
Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,300 Posts
Been there with my 2014 Grizzly that I purchased used which came with aftermarket 14” wheels. Had crappy 26” tires and I had to really lower the psi to get any decent traction, then the jolting rim hits started happening. There was just not enough tire volume with those 14” wheels along with 26” tires to appropriately lower the psi for trail riding. Was it mainly the Terracross tires that were on there? I’m not exactly sure but wasn’t willing to experiment with other 14” tires to find out so I went back to a 12” wheel and very glad I made that choice. As CK said, leave the 14” wheels wheels to the SxS, not sure what I’d do if I purchased a new Grizzly 700 that came with 14” wheels.

Reactions: wgc

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If you're working on a limited budget, 12" wheels with bigger rubber and lower pressure can help quite a bit in my opinion. If you've had 11 back surgeries, I suspect your riding style is a little more relaxed rather than "hauling the mail!"

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
Are your factory shocks set at the softest setting? What psi are your tires set at now ? These are free adjustments you can fine tune now to help until you can purchase tires.
That's only sets your preload, doesn't actually give you a softer ride. Preload is based on weight. I'm a perfect example, if I set my preload to is lowest level, I would bottom out on every large rock, rut, or root. It cant support my weight alone, let alone my cargo box on back. Many times, a higher preload is softer.

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
Been there with my 2014 Grizzly that I purchased used which came with aftermarket 14” wheels. Had crappy 26” tires and I had to really lower the psi to get any decent traction, then the jolting rim hits started happening. There was just not enough tire volume with those 14” wheels along with 26” tires to appropriately lower the psi for trail riding. Was it mainly the Terracross tires that were on there? I’m not exactly sure but wasn’t willing to experiment with other 14” tires to find out so I went back to a 12” wheel and very glad I made that choice. As CK said, leave the 14” wheels wheels to the SxS, not sure what I’d do if I purchased a new Grizzly 700 that came with 14” wheels.
You could do exactly what I would do, and what my dealer has done to many new grizzlys... Have them put on 12" wheels with much better tires right there before it leaves. Lol
You should see the 40' seacan behind my dealers building, it's tire storage for new tires, but there's a shelf at the top on one side that is almost full of 14" rims and tires on rims, all take offs from grizzly. One tech said it was 2 shelves full, the whole length of the seacan, but they have sold a lot of the tires as replacement tires .

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's only sets your preload, doesn't actually give you a softer ride. Preload is based on weight. I'm a perfect example, if I set my preload to is lowest level, I would bottom out on every large rock, rut, or root. It cant support my weight alone, let alone my cargo box on back. Many times, a higher preload is softer.

Your half wrong , Tightening it down will increase ride height and give you a stiffer ride. Loosening it will lower ride height, giving you a softer ride. Just because you need a higher setting for your weight , the OP could be 120 lbs and not need all the preload . I myself am 280 and have gone from lowest setting to highest and find # 2 from the lowest rides best for me and my so so back .

·
Premium Member
12,693 Posts
Here are some ideas to consider:
1) As you don't haul much heavy mail new expensive shocks may not be used to their full benefit, so may not produce a result worth the $$$$$ spent. I've
ridden with other members using Elka shocks to see how their Griz handles in rough terrain compared to a stock Grizz. The Elka shocks allowed higher speed travel over whops and produced a smoother suspension travel over the length of the shock travel but to realize these benefits the Griz was put to more than you describe as your style. Here is one of our members getting lined up to drop off a ledge;
https://flic.kr/p/fw1n2E and with the suspension compressed;
https://flic.kr/p/fw1mro
2) Also notice his wheel and tire combination, the wheels are not near as wide as the tires giving a roll to the sidewalls for added flex to soften the ride. The tires in those pictures are Maxis B.H. 2.0's which are good tires in most conditions. I use the Maxis O.G.'s which are similar to the 2.0's with a history of lasting much longer in tough conditions.
https://flic.kr/p/fwVycW I like the stock wheels which are narrow causing a roll in the sidewall. The roll has the benefit of a softer ride but the radial design of the Big Horn tire models allows for the sidewalls to flex the faster you go, so I run a much higher tire p.s.i. than most but at speed the sidewall still flexes. You will find the p.s.i. that works best for you in your conditions. Oh, I like a tire that is 26"s true diameter for 12" wheels.

3) As for the stock shock position setting after the new tires and wheels are installed, go to the softest position and ride, to then add one notch for comparison. You may find with the new tire/wheel combination you like stiff shocks with very low tire p.s.i.

4) Another thing to consider trying is unhooking the sway bar for a test ride. We consider these I.R.S. machines but the sway bar does transfer a lot of torque from one side of the bike to the other. Maybe freeing up the corner to move will change the impact felt in your back. Here is a picture of how a sway bar transfers torque;
https://flic.kr/p/fwVwM5
Keep us posted on your choices and results.

Reactions: mike minno

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have removed the sway bar long ago like the handling better. Looking at tires and wheels big shortage of both. Has anyone used mainstreet cycle for tires or wheels they appear to have decent prices.

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
I'll bet you won't get your tires when they say. I've got several friends and coworkers all buying tires right now and it's pretty much been the same story, if they aren't in stock and have to be ordered, your in for a wait.
Hopefully you're luck is better.
My buddy has been hearing the old "they will be in by end of next week" for last 3 months. He's fed up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got my new tires and wheels in less than a week. Wow what a difference the ride is great don't know why Yamaha used 14 inch tires. The 12 inch tires with 4&1/2 lbs think your on a cloud. Wish I'd have made the dealer put tires on before I took it home. Oh well got a set of 14 inch wheel and tires for sale cheap.

·
Premium Member
12,693 Posts
Got my new tires and wheels in less than a week. Wow what a difference the ride is great don't know why Yamaha used 14 inch tires. The 12 inch tires with 4&1/2 lbs think your on a cloud. Wish I'd have made the dealer put tires on before I took it home. Oh well got a set of 14 inch wheel and tires for sale cheap.
What's cheap?
If you pay the shipping and tape a $20 bill to each wheel I'll take them :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts