Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

To Title or not to Title, that is the Question in Colorado?

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  RedRocket 
#1 ·
This is pertaining to if I should pursue a Colorado title for the new to me Grizzly I just purchased?

I do have the MO title in hand and signed on the back as my purchase was Private Party. So, I could physically go into the Colorado Department of Revenue with my filled out the DR2395 and pay for a CO title. There is no indication of what fees I will be paying for a CO title. From there, I can get my 2014 Grizzly registered through CO Parks and Wildlife, which is standard.

Other option is to just take the MO title down to CO Parks and Wildlife and get it registered, without changing to a CO title. The website says for a Private Party sale in CO, a registration is required for use on public lands and you do not need to title.

I do get that a current title is much better for resale but of course, no intention on selling. Yes, things always change but as it stands, I have to have a snow plow so is unlikely I'll be selling anytime soon.

I know the fees associated with CO registration, but what should I expect for a CO title? Since it is a Revenue office, I fear I'll get hit with a bunch of private sale taxes and drive the cost of registration way up when I don't absolutely need it.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not a Colorado resident, so I can't speak to the costs associated with titling it in the state of Colorado.....but. Do you plan to insure it? If you're not the titled owner of the ATV in the hypothetical situation of theft or collision if filing a claim with your insurance company how do you prove you own the Grizzly if its not titled in your name? Another thing to consider. Whether you just ride in Colorado or go to another state to ride, some states require them to be insured. Typically when insuring an automobile or anything like that the insurance company will ask if you are the titled owner. I know titling and sales tax can be expensive, but its been my experience in life, if you do it right the first time in the event you need to sell it in the future or God forbid file an insurance claim it will be potentially far less of hassle. Another thing to consider. Do have have to claim the ATV on your personal property taxes? Just a few thoughts to consider.

Reactions: RedRocket
#3 ·
Thanks and yeah, that all makes sense. Also, thinking this through, it is not necessarily the title that is high price in CO, at least not to my knowledge, it is the yearly license, taxes and registration fees, that CO bends us over on for road legal vehicles.

It will be a hassle to go down and get an OHV CO title, making assumptions here because gov't agency, but all the reasons you point out, probably worth while.

#5 ·
I agree with Ransom if it's not titled in your name then you don't legally own it if something happens like fire or theft.

#6 ·
That could be a state by state thing, but point made that having it titled will not hurt anything versus one could be screwed without the title.

I wasn't originally thinking things through with the perspective of insurance.

#7 ·
You'll be out the sales tax for your area (variable in Colorado by county and City) and the registration fee and you'll still need the O.H.V. stickers, resident for titled, none resident for out of state.
As far as I'm concerned, the less business done with the government, the better and my 660 does not have a title.

#8 ·
I know exactly how you feel and is the basis of this thread for me. CO is very unreasonable with the amount of taxes and fees they charge, except for the OHV sticker registration. But when it comes to vehicles, they nickel and dime us to death in fees.

When I moved back to CO in 2012, I was shocked at how much in taxes/fees I needed to pay for our road legal autos. Thinking the following year would be much better since it was a now in state vehicle. Nope, only slightly less and still outrageous. I am in fear that titling this new to me ATV will result in them expecting me to pay MSRP taxes from when it was new as the DR2395 title doc only has a field for MSRP value, not what I paid for it as a 6 year old, depreciated item.

#9 ·
Just use your MO. They just passed that title stuff a year or two ago and it applies only (to my knowledge) for dealerships. Save the money and the hassle. I have zero problems with insurance and both of mine are insured. I just showed the insurance company the card we get when we get our OHV stickers and that was a one time only affair. I see no benefits to a title. But I don't think you have to pay a yearly fee as your not registering it just getting a title. If we ever make them street legal then hang on to your wallet as you know they will stick to us.
I've sold a couple with just the MO and have not had a problem.

#10 ·
Here in ohio, it's not a choice, it must be titled to the owner by law. I just finished the 10 step process for having a title made for a grizzly that had never had one. It took about a year, and cost money at every step.
You are step ahead of me, in that you have a title already. My title itself was only $15.00 plus a $1.00 writing fee. (I'm not making that up). Then the registration and plates, which ran about $50.00(iirc) however, I did have to pay the outstanding sales tax before titling. Your fees may be different, but should give you some idea of costs.

#11 ·
You say you are not ever planning on selling it.

Why would you want documentation on your ATV that you are keeping forever to all be in some stranger's name...forever? Maybe CO and MO are different than in WI, but you register for trails and insure all based on titled owner.

People get screwed on parking tickets and such with automobiles here when they sell a car private party and the new owner just holds onto your signed title instead of getting their own in an attempt to skip out on paying sales tax. Of course they can never insure but it's pieces of crap people who do this and drive uninsured anyway. They rack up tickets that lead back to the previous owner since the DMV has no record of a new owner.

#12 ·
Why would you want to give your hard earned $ to the state when you'll get nothing for it???? There is no requirement to title it here in CO. Just pay your $25.25 (or whatever it is this year) to Parks and Wildlife to get your sticker. My son didn't title his SxS and still had insurance on it, so having a title doesn't stop you from getting insurance if you want it.

#13 ·
I found this website and thought it was pretty interesting. It has ATV Laws by each state. Its amazing the differences between different states on usage, titling and insurance. @RedRocket this might be a good sticky.

#14 ·
When I sold my 660 two year back, only required a bill of sale to get OHV sticker, my 2017 came with a title but no interest in being hit up with annual registration fee including taxes, I pay enough already with vehicles and trailers; if I sell it one day which is rather unlikely in the future, will be a bill of sale to the purchaser and will sign over the title. I try to keep the government out of my life, and I used to be the government.
And Red Rocket, if you want some heavy duty plowing practice...come on up :), more then enough snow of late, at 9,000 feet sit in a real micro climate.

#15 ·
@Fireman2, Ha! No thanks, I've had enough of my own snow to deal with this year. It has be snowier and colder this season and in this "new" house, snow on the ground since Nov. Very unusual snow season so far. Had to order a new blade for the plow as the one on it is almost spent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.