Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know that Tomichi Pass is closed from the Hancock Pass cut off to the top of Tomichi Pass (north side), effective 25 June, 2018. Think you can still make it to the top but you have to come up from the south side via White Pine. The slide area just north of the Pass took a big hit from a rock slide. Hopefully you can see some of the pictures and official notice of closure here:
https://www.facebook.com/GMUG.NF/photos/pcb.645077945843214/645074922510183/?type=3&theater

They make it sound like it will be a long time before they can fix it, reroute it or close it permanently. Bummer!!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
That is a bummer. That was a fun trail. That really complicates getting over to Whitepine from Taylor. I guess you can always go through Pitkin and then over Black Sage Pass. Hopefully, they can repair it and the Alpine Tunnel trail.

Thanks for posting the update. Going to have to scratch that one off the Grizzly Central Taylor Park ride this fall.

Reactions: Blklab and rwreuter

·
Premium Member
12,491 Posts
A closure to a rock slide is better than closed due to fire. The San Juan forest is closed due to fire as this year is much drier than in years past. If you are planning a trip Colorado, make a few calls before leaving for the current conditions in the area you plan to visit. Also, we have had a lot of rock movement around here and the trails are changing daily. BE CAREFUL in the high country and know alternative routes to return to your departure sight of the morning. Extra gas can be needed. It might start raining next month:)

Reactions: Blklab and RansomP

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
A closure to a rock slide is better than closed due to fire. The San Juan forest is closed due to fire as this year is much drier than in years past. If you are planning a trip Colorado, make a few calls before leaving for the current conditions in the area you plan to visit. Also, we have had a lot of rock movement around here and the trails are changing daily. BE CAREFUL in the high country and know alternative routes to return to your departure sight of the morning. Extra gas can be needed. It might start raining next month:)
Hey Ridgway!

I just read this in the Durango Herald, https://durangoherald.com/articles/229160-federal-local-agencies-reopen-public-lands

I've been watching the temps and its been hot and dry out your way. Its been hot and dry here in MO as well. We've got friends going to Silverton in a few weeks and they were concerned with all the fire closures. Hopefully rains will keep coming to avoid any further fires.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Ransom/Bill.....do you guys have a backup plan for that route?

·
Premium Member
12,491 Posts
I see in the article the forest was re-opened, but some of the county roads were blocked by forest service employees at the highway turn-offs last weekend. Right now I am looking south and there is smoke in the air toward Silverton.

Reactions: RansomP

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts