Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to adjust the valves on my 94 timberwolf. Where do I find the part with the TDC mark? Is it under the cover on the left side of the cylinder with two phillips head screws? I know the valve covers are on top of the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
11,394 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Pull the plug and the valve cover and watch the valve movement while turning the engine by hand. Keep an eye on the timing mark for true alignment.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If it's the same as the Grizzly to get the TDC mark you have to remove the manual recoil starter. Then under that is a ~ 1" plastic plug with a flat head slit in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome from Colorado.
Pull the plug and the valve cover and watch the valve movement while turning the engine by hand. Keep an eye on the timing mark for true alignment.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. My main problem is that I do not know where to find the timing mark. My shop manual pictures of the procedure for locating the timing mark does not match my engine. I think it is under a cover on the side of the cylinder on the left side of the engine, near the top of the cylinder and is held in place with two phillips head screws. I have tried to remove the screws, but they are not coming loose and I am concerned that I might damage the slots. So I was wanting to see if another timberwolf owner could confirm the location of the timing marks before I try to remove and possibly damage the screws.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The timberwolf must be different because it does not have a manual recoil starter. Also, I have removed the plastic cover on the crank case and there is no plug as described in my shop manual. Thanks for responding.

·
Premium Member
11,394 Posts
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. My main problem is that I do not know where to find the timing mark. My shop manual pictures of the procedure for locating the timing mark does not match my engine. I think it is under a cover on the side of the cylinder on the left side of the engine, near the top of the cylinder and is held in place with two phillips head screws. I have tried to remove the screws, but they are not coming loose and I am concerned that I might damage the slots. So I was wanting to see if another timberwolf owner could confirm the location of the timing marks before I try to remove and possibly damage the screws.
I use a 10 dollar impact screw driver on tight screws. Then, with the age of your machine, it may be a while till someone with one responds.
Post a few responses and get some pictures attached. The marks will be under the cam cover or the crank cover. As your book doesn't match your machine, maybe your pictures will help us.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
TDC..pull spark plug...hold finger over hole...turn engine with a socket or wrench..when you feel compression...stick a plastic straw down the hole...turn engine slowly until straw starts to go back down...turn back to the highest point..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use a 10 dollar impact screw driver on tight screws. Then, with the age of your machine, it may be a while till someone with one responds.
Post a few responses and get some pictures attached. The marks will be under the cam cover or the crank cover. As your book doesn't match your machine, maybe your pictures will help us.
Thanks. I will try the impact screwdriver and try to figure out how to post pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts