Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Fast enough to die on..... 60ish probably. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong. I don't top it out much.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Yup, what OK said. I don't top it out either. :happy:

Reactions: mainegrizz660

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It would be over 60. I have 1.5mm shim in my grizzly and it hits the rev limiter at 60mph.
The shim usually knocks 5-8mph off you're top speed.

My last grizzly, a 2009 700 had a hunter works machines sheave. I ran out of power before I would hit the limiter. That was around 65mph. I was running 27" heavy 6ply radial tires. That's what held me back from hitting the top speed.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

Reactions: okbear

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
It would be over 60. I have 1.5mm shim in my grizzly and it hits the rev limiter at 60mph.
The shim usually knocks 5-8mph off you're top speed.

My last grizzly, a 2009 700 had a hunter works machines sheave. I ran out of power before I would hit the limiter. That was around 65mph. I was running 27" heavy 6ply radial tires. That's what held me back from hitting the top speed.
I did say "ish". lol. Kawi is correct. I remember a YouTube vid where the top speed was over 60.

Like I said... plenty fast enough to die on. If max speed is what you're looking for, you should probably look elsewhere. If a mix of reliability and performance (heavy on reliability) are what you're looking for... Well, welcome to Yamaha. The Griz won't pull the front end off the ground when you pin the throttle doing 20, but it does just fine for my taste. What kind of riding are you looking to do?

Oh, and welcome to GC!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Top speed of my 2014 700 was 65
My dads 2015 700 is 65
With my new tires and clutch mods I got to 69.9.
These are all from a gps. Not the factory speedo

·
Registered
52 Posts
I never had my bike to the bar and they do 60 mph. Yikesss

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
Any ATV can dump/roll over and if you ride enough it will happen even at slower speeds and is a learning moment. At higher speeds, the results are a little more severe. Over the years I have seen several DOA's under ATV's that were associated with speed on gravel/dirt roads.

Even my old 660 would do upper 50's if needed, the new 700 will exceed that but no longer interested in speed, I kind of want to enjoy the views and get to my destination.

It is a fair question that is best answered as 60 ish. J

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did say "ish". lol. Kawi is correct. I remember a YouTube vid where the top speed was over 60.

Like I said... plenty fast enough to die on. If max speed is what you're looking for, you should probably look elsewhere. If a mix of reliability and performance (heavy on reliability) are what you're looking for... Well, welcome to Yamaha. The Griz won't pull the front end off the ground when you pin the throttle doing 20, but it does just fine for my taste. What kind of riding are you looking to do?

Oh, and welcome to GC!

a grizzly is what im looking for but i would like a speed at least 70. will a aftermarket pipe do any good?

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
If you want "a speed at least 70", then you looking into the wrong area and engine size.
There is no 700cc 4x4 on the market that will do that in a stock setup.....At least not do it easily without a long, flat run.

If you want those kinds of speeds, you have to look at Can Am 800/850/1000 or Polaris 850/1000 or Arctic Cat 1000.

Reactions: okbear

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm pretty sure a bike with stock tires. Or a little bit smaller could hit 70 I run a jbs machines sheave with the overdrive weights. When I was dialing it in with shims I had back tires off the ground and in high the speedo would reach 73-74 if I remember correctly. So if your bike has the power to do it. The sheave with overdrive weights will allow you to get there

Oh yea. That 73-74 was without any shim

·
Registered
29 Posts
64 mph on my 16. everything stock. Long straight smooth dirt road. Had a little more in it, but I ran outta balls.
don't let off the gas all at once. that engine brake will make it squirly, had to get back on the gas to straighten it out

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You'd need a machined sheave with Over Drive weights to start with. Then you'd need a pipe, filter and a fuel controller to make the extra power to pull more than 65.
The grizzly has gobs of torque but high revving top end is where they fall short.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
My 08 did 62 when new with stock 25s

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I shut my 2015 down at 62 MPH because the tires started to lope. I am running some heavy tires. That speed is not safe on any ATV. All it would take is a slight miss calculation in anything to buy the farm, so to speak.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
A stock Grizzly will not hit 70 MPH. And if you have one that does, it is only with perfect conditions.....flat, long road with a wind at your back. And I know of no other 700cc 4x4 on the market that will do it.
That's just the way it is. Nothing wrong with that.

Just so we get this straight. The Yamaha dream-ometer (speedometer) is off anyway. It is not giving a true ground speed. It reads faster than actual speed on stock size tires.

If you want a 70+MPH 4x4, you need to look elsewhere, and bigger than 700cc.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine stock was accurate Along with my fathers. Well at 65 the speedo read 65. These are stock 2014 and 2015
I have 28" zillas now and have gotten to 69.9 with them. So with proper clutching I believe getting to 70 wouldn't be unrealistic. But you'll need a long stretch to get there

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My speedo is off. I think 90kms/h is actually 84 on my GPS. Could only image how fare off it was with stock tires.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts