Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up an 08 700FI and I am interesting in towing a trailer around a property that is pretty heavy. Approx 3,500 pounds. I know that it is only rated to tow 1,200ish but I assume that is at decent speeds. I just just have to creep this trailer around a property periodically. 5 MPH max. Mostly flat with only some slight inclines. Do you think it would be ok to do in low gear if I got one of those dollies that takes the tongue weight off of the ATV

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
With the dolly you may not have the traction to pull it. Consider a light weight distribution hitch.

Stopping it is a bigger factor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah good call on the traction. I know stopping is more difficult with a light tow vehicle but like I said, no steep hills or anything and just creeping along. I would think the weight of the trailer would do most of the stopping since I won't be getting any real momentum going. I know people say that heavy loads will wear out the wet clutch. How do I know if I am putting too much wear on it? Is there a way to judge? Also at worst case are they that expensive to replace? Thanks again!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I towed a 4500lb boat that was sunk about 4in in the ground, about 300ft once. It did not like that at all. And I was still in the brake in period, lol. I wouldn't recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
Yeah good call on the traction. I know stopping is more difficult with a light tow vehicle but like I said, no steep hills or anything and just creeping along. I would think the weight of the trailer would do most of the stopping since I won't be getting any real momentum going. I know people say that heavy loads will wear out the wet clutch. How do I know if I am putting too much wear on it? Is there a way to judge? Also at worst case are they that expensive to replace? Thanks again!
Towing heavy will were the WC out. Because the machines RPM's are to low to stall/lock the clutch it will be constantly slipping. Repair can be $2 -500 if you doing yourself.

Another issue with low rpm slow riding with the stock 08 Griz is the stator fails often because of overheating. There fix is to replace the stator side case with the new style that has an added oil line that feeds oil over the stator.

Reactions: firmani99

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
As mentioned by Reogem, pulling extreme loads like 3500lbs is asking trouble. They are simply not designed for it.

I have a neighbour who used to push his Grizzly hard with such extreme loads, and one day the drive belt snapped, and bent the secondary sheave shaft.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Yes.. that is to much, I tow a trailer from time to time 6-700lb load max in a balanced trailer through the trails with some steep hills, like Vincent said your asking for trouble pulling that amount of weight with your Grizz.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
This was my heaviest load yet. Figure 1700-1800 lbs????

Had to save my at the time girlfriend's quad deep in the bush. Mainly old logging roads with some moderately steep hills, nothing too crazy. My grizzly had no problems with this load, though hills slowed it down alot .

Helps having coop45 sheave, so my quad's cvt ratio starts 25% lower then stock. That bull gear low range torque is awesome!

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
393 Posts
I would sure not want to pull anything that heavy, heck my Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited is only tow rated for 3,500 lbs. The most I move with my Grizz is a 5x10 trailer off the hill and a smaller trailer with about 300 lbs. during firewood season.
If one does heavy loads expect things to fail and these machines are a little pricey. Proper tool for the job.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts

Had to save my at the time girlfriend's quad deep in the bush. Mainly old logging roads with some moderately steep hills, nothing too crazy. My grizzly had no problems with this load, though hills slowed it down alot .

Helps having coop45 sheave, so my quad's cvt ratio starts 25% lower then stock. That bull gear low range torque is awesome!

View attachment 100253
Yes for sure coop45 sheave and purple spring makes a big difference in this kind of work, I always tow in low with the 4wd button on, you are going to have to have a sit down with your girlfriend and go over this picture with her, you just got to love Cats!! lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

View attachment 100253
I am interested in the sheave that you are talking about. I wish there was an "extra low gear."

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What sort of improvement do you notice with the Sheaves? Seems like it give you a lower starting ratio but how does that translate into driveability and performance? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,825 Posts
These c.v.t. mods are to raise the ratio and give crisper throttle response and let the engine run faster at very slow speeds, and the higher r.p.m.'s let the wet clutch engage fully. I would do the sheave and add some shim to max out your ratio, and add a stiffer secondary spring to prevent belt slip. These mods produce results like changing the sprockets on a dirt bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts