Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 700 EPS and am interested in putting a track kit on it for the winter. Has anybody had any experience with them? I know there are many different manufacturers. Is there a best one or a track to stay away from?

·
Premium Member
2010 Grizzly 700 SE, Warn 3000 XT, RM ATV Locking Heated Grips, Black Boar Cargo Trunk & Foot Pegs,
175 Posts
Tatou 4S. There is no better track system out there. Some will have deeper lugs, some might look fancier, none perform better. Camoplast makes snowmobile tracks, that's what they do and it shows with their Tatou tracks. Tatous also can be used on hard ground and used all year around. Ran them for 3 seasons and wouldn't ever consider another manufacturer. atvtracks.net sells all brands and they recommend the Tatous. They have a ton of videos on their website, good place to research for yourself. A guy who rides with us bought Kimpex Commanders (guess who was always getting stuck and needing to get pulled out)? Getting them adjusted properly is the key to making them perform well. Bring wrenches with you out in the field so you can get them adjusted by feel and on the go.

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
+1. On the camoplast, I think they are the only company that actually sell tracks geared to your ATV. The gearing is designed to work with the 700, if you had a smaller ATV you would get a different size drive gear.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Tatou 4S. There is no better track system out there. Some will have deeper lugs, some might look fancier, none perform better. Camoplast makes snowmobile tracks, that's what they do and it shows with their Tatou tracks. Tatous also can be used on hard ground and used all year around. Ran them for 3 seasons and wouldn't ever consider another manufacturer. atvtracks.net sells all brands and they recommend the Tatous. They have a ton of videos on their website, good place to research for yourself. A guy who rides with us bought Kimpex Commanders (guess who was always getting stuck and needing to get pulled out)? Getting them adjusted properly is the key to making them perform well. Bring wrenches with you out in the field so you can get them adjusted by feel and on the go.
did you run your tracks in the winter season only ?

·
Premium Member
2010 Grizzly 700 SE, Warn 3000 XT, RM ATV Locking Heated Grips, Black Boar Cargo Trunk & Foot Pegs,
175 Posts
I only ran them in the winter because that is the only time I needed them. However, they advertise that you can run them 4 seasons (hence the 4S name). Dirt Trax TV website did a review of them using them in summer time conditions and said they worked great (lots of video). Make sure you have a 3000 lb winch minimum. When you get stuck with tracks, you are really stuck. Shovel is a good idea to always have too. The Grizz 700 will turn the Tatous just fine (you will lag behind Polaris 850s and Can Am 800s speed wise but your belt will also survive the season). They are a really good time and you will be surprised where you can go with them. Just make sure people know when and where you are going just in case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I only ran them in the winter because that is the only time I needed them. However, they advertise that you can run them 4 seasons (hence the 4S name). Dirt Trax TV website did a review of them using them in summer time conditions and said they worked great (lots of video). Make sure you have a 3000 lb winch minimum. When you get stuck with tracks, you are really stuck. Shovel is a good idea to always have too. The Grizz 700 will turn the Tatous just fine (you will lag behind Polaris 850s and Can Am 800s speed wise but your belt will also survive the season). They are a really good time and you will be surprised where you can go with them. Just make sure people know when and where you are going just in case.
I'm giving serious consideration to buying a set this weekend. Any problems with the tracks making contact with your fenders? Also how much snow can they go through realistically?

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I have the Ricochet floor board skid plates and did have to shave off a little bit of the skid due to rubbing from the rear tracks, especially when riding 2 up. Riding solo it was rarely an issue. No clearance issues up front. Make sure to play around with how they are adjusted. Angle of attack on the fronts greatly affects steering effort and climbing ability. Properly adjusting rear tension will play a big role in how well you climb. I'm beginning to miss mine a little as I write this. When I first got mine my wife and I rode double in 3-4 feet of powder. The floatation is really very good but do pay attention to changing snow conditions as you ride. Trying to ride out of somewhere you rode into 4 hours earlier isn't always possible. Also, if get stuck, don't keep hammering the throttle and bury yourself. Just backup and get another run. Packing down a trail is key with tracks and extreme riding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks. I was also studying over the Kimpex Commander package, it appears that both outfits may have been owned by the same guy? Replacement parts are made by Kimpex and the frames of both the WS4 (Kimpex) and the 4S (Camso) look to be made by the same outfit to me. The measurements are almost identical, but the prices are about $700 apart. It looked to me like they're almost the same thing, however Camso does not sell directly to a dealer while Kimpex does. Anyone else notice all these similarities? Did you friend have a set of the Commander WS4 tracks or an earlier/different version? These WS4 look to be all but identical to the Camso 4S tracks to me.

I can do a set of the Camso's for $3899 installed or a set of the Kimpex Commander's for $3169. Like I said it looks to be almost the identical product without having to pay a middle man (distributor) before it arrives at a dealership to me. Both companies have making rubber products forever and I'd almost say Kimpex has built those ATV track systems for 5-6 yrs longer than Camoplast. It's a toss up, I'd really like to drive both first, but am not able to.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks. I was also studying over the Kimpex Commander package, it appears that both outfits may have been owned by the same guy? Replacement parts are made by Kimpex and the frames of both the WS4 (Kimpex) and the 4S (Camso) look to be made by the same outfit to me. The measurements are almost identical, but the prices are about $700 apart. It looked to me like they're almost the same thing, however Camso does not sell directly to a dealer while Kimpex does. Anyone else notice all these similarities? Did you friend have a set of the Commander WS4 tracks or an earlier/different version? These WS4 look to be all but identical to the Camso 4S tracks to me.

I can do a set of the Camso's for $3899 installed or a set of the Kimpex Commander's for $3169. Like I said it looks to be almost the identical product without having to pay a middle man (distributor) before it arrives at a dealership to me. Both companies have making rubber products forever and I'd almost say Kimpex has built those ATV track systems for 5-6 yrs longer than Camoplast. It's a toss up, I'd really like to drive both first, but am not able to.

Camso (formally Camoplast) has had relatively the same track design for the last 7 or so years with only minor changes. Only in last 2-3 years have other track manufacturers, such as Kimpex designed tracks that are very similar to the 4s. What this means is that Camso was doing something right and in the real world would easily outperform any other kit. IMO, Kimpex is a mediocre product compared to the premium Camso. Camoplast has been extremely good to us as far as customer service including warrantying parts on a track system several years out of warranty.

Be very careful on how kits are advertised. Although one kit may sound cheaper, it probably doesn't have the adapter kit including the correct hub or anti-rotation brackets.

Be aware that tracks are a completely different animal than tires and will require you to change your riding technique, especially during the warmer months. Unless you have friends that also have tracked atvs to ride with or enough utility purposes, I would stay clear. That being said, they are the best money ever spent.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just to add, tracks are extremely rough riding in the summer on hard trails.
You would be surprised how much trail junk is absorbed by the tires on your machine, with tracks everything is direct. I have run my Tatuos (very little) in the spring, the shock when hitting a stone or whatever makes you cringe!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just to add, tracks are extremely rough riding in the summer on hard trails.
You would be surprised how much trail junk is absorbed by the tires on your machine, with tracks everything is direct. I have run my Tatuos (very little) in the spring, the shock when hitting a stone or whatever makes you cringe!!
I disagree. Although you do feel the harder items such as rocks or roots, the tracks ride quite a bit smoother than the tires. I don't have much for rock, but some roots. The longer contact surface provides a better ride just like longer tracks on sleds.

Reactions: jpfleming71

·
Registered
20 Posts
Camso (formally Camoplast) has had relatively the same track design for the last 7 or so years with only minor changes. Only in last 2-3 years have other track manufacturers, such as Kimpex designed tracks that are very similar to the 4s. What this means is that Camso was doing something right and in the real world would easily outperform any other kit. IMO, Kimpex is a mediocre product compared to the premium Camso. Camoplast has been extremely good to us as far as customer service including warrantying parts on a track system several years out of warranty.

Be very careful on how kits are advertised. Although one kit may sound cheaper, it probably doesn't have the adapter kit including the correct hub or anti-rotation brackets.

Be aware that tracks are a completely different animal than tires and will require you to change your riding technique, especially during the warmer months. Unless you have friends that also have tracked atvs to ride with or enough utility purposes, I would stay clear. That being said, they are the best money ever spent.
Thank you for the feedback, I def appreciate it. There are a significant investment so I wanted to hit up some current owners of these products to see how they like them and how well they have performed, and hold up, repairs etc.

I do a lot of trapping in late March and I think a set of these would work great with a heavy snow base already in place. I would take these tracks off in the late Spring every year and re-install the tires. I don't intend on running them full time.

I believe KIMPEX was building kits about 5-6 years before CAMOPLAST, but like you said, I have noticed that those two particular models (4S Camso/WS4 Kimpex) have looked incredibly similar for the last 3-4 years that's why I started inquiring, asking mechanics, making some calls etc.

They're both out of Quebec, appears that JPT makes the frames for both, and the guts of a Camso system is Kimpex wheels at a bare min. There's also Camso rubber on their 4S system obviously and Kimpex rubber on the on the WS4 series. The total track length is just a bit longer on the KIMPEX so the frame has to be a little bit different but I certainly cannot tell the diff looking at the two systems side by side. That's got to be a patent thing or something to keep from being sued , I'm telling you they are practically identical. The track is a bit wider on the Kimpex on the front and rear also than the Camso. They both have the anti-rotation device etc on both models, I'm telling you the only diff you can see is one frame is painted black, while the other is gray. If you break something on your set, your dealer will be ordering replacement parts from Kimpex, that's what really peaked my curiosity. I'm still of the opinion right now that KIMPEX is building practically the same setup for CAMSO.

I wish I could get ahold of someone with the WS4 system before I pull the trigger on a set of Camso's because right now all I can see is I'm paying another middle man his cut on the Camso's for a product that has to perform almost as well or maybe even better with a slightly larger footprint. I have heard nothing negative whatsoever on the Tatou 4 S setups, in fact everyone seems to love theirs and hold up very well altogether.

Again, thank you very much for the info, I really appreciate the feedback folks. At least one guy right now in my hunting club already has a set of the Camso's and loves them. I'm quite likely to buy the same thing because they have such good results with them. I'm going to wait a couple of more weeks and ask some more questions before I pull the trigger. The tracks for the KIMPEX WS4 are $2649 retail and the adapter kit for the 14 Grizz I'm running is $520. The Camso setup is $3899 right now including the adapter kit retail, so I'm seeing $700-ish diff which smells incredibly like a middle man and extra set of shipping costs to absorb into a final price for a consumer.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Atvtracks.net is a great website to check out track videos. They also do sell many different brands and styles of tracks. I think they have a sale on tracks right now also.

One very significant difference in the design of the 2 track systems you have mentioned is the way the front tracks are setup. The Tatous fold over at the edge of the track which I believe was done to reduce steering effort. The Kimpex tracks still appear to have a flat track edge on the front. Even with power steering tracks still take a lot of effort to steer at slower speeds. I think you would appreciate the reduced effort offered by the rolled track edge. Ultimately though, it's your money and your decision

Good luck and have fun with whatever you get.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Having the rolled front track that Camso offers would be worth the 700 to me...But no way i would pay 4g for new tracks..I did pick up a set of 2015 camso 4S tracks used for 2300 with mount kit tho..LOL..Cant wait for the snow this year..

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
The rolled track has been around since 2010 at least cause the set of tracks I got had it also. I think that was the first year for it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes i know the rolled track has been around since 2010. I am simply statingto go with camso over other brands..lol.

...my tracks have the manufacture sticker stating 2015 build date on them..lol

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
No doubt! Rode with a guy who had the older version of Kimpex Commanders. Riding got really old when we were constantly having to get him unstuck and yet we are all riding around with our 4S tracks without much issue.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts