Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I might sound like a mad man even thinking about this, but I'm going to make my own set of tracks for my grizzly. I have all the info I need, EXCEPT for track width. If anybody's running tracks, how wide are yours? I've seen anywhere from 8" width to 14" width. Now my kicker here, is if I'm going through the effort of making a set, I want it to be interchangeable with my sportsman diesel as well. this being said, Lets just figure I'm limited to a 500cc class machine. I'm planning on going 9" wide... will this be enough? Or would it just prove pointless to even run tracks at this point? Also, how bad will it be running without EPS? I'm not afraid of a good workout, but what would I be dealing with here?

Any info is appreciated!!:)

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Not 100% sure on track widths, but I like your idea.
If you want to swap them from one bike to another, I would make tracks bolt to adapters. The adapters would bolt to the bike hub. This way the track design never changes. It will still be a bolt up interchange. Only the hubs themselves will be different, but only on the bolt pattern (Grizzly is 4x110, Polaris bolt pattern is 4x156). This makes it easy.

Those Polaris Diesels are rare. Nice to see one running. Those 455 cc diesel engines were actually quite reliable. Slow as cold molasses, but a cool concept.

Your steering effort will depend on your design. Have a rolled track design in the front, and steering is not bad at all. If you have a flat track profile in the front, steering is quite heavy. It's hard on steering components too. Still manageable to steer....just very heavy. Remember that tracks were out long before power steering was even available on the market.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, what I'm planning on doing, as of now anyway, is making the drive cog be what bolts to the hub, maybe a spacer in order to get the correct offset from the hub to eliminate track to shock interference, and just machine two bolt patterns into it. As far as the tracks themselves, might sound dumb, but I'm planning on taking two round baler belts, each 4" wide, separating them side by side with a 1" gap, and then using cleats to keep them apart, as well as act as drive lugs. I've done a lot of head scratching on that part, and while a lot of folks I've talked to asked why i'm not just using four snowmobile tracks, I like this idea better. The main reasons for this is number one, I can get all the belting I need BRAND NEW for the cost of ONE decent used track off craigslist, two, it'll be lighter than running four sled tracks, and three, also my biggest deciding factor, is torque on the axle hub. I say this, because If I were to put a sled track on a corner, I'd almost HAVE to put two drive cogs per corner, because if you're only driving the track on one row of windows, instead of both, I'd *think* that the track would have a tendency to want to twist. Also, the hub would have a leverage point only about 2" in from the edge on a 15" wide track and carriage. If I go with a 9" track,4" belts separated in the center by the hub essentially, I would assume there would be a lot less torque to cause premature wear on axle bearings and ball joints. As far as a rolled design, I was thinking of making the corners of the cleats cut off/rounded, but it still wont give me the rolled track contour like you mentioned. Very good point though, tracks have been around a while, haven't they?:)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have a few friends that run tracks on Kawasaki Brutes without power steering and they say it's really no biggy but you NEED to be moving to steer.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hey folks,
I might sound like a mad man even thinking about this, but I'm going to make my own set of tracks for my grizzly. I have all the info I need, EXCEPT for track width. If anybody's running tracks, how wide are yours? I've seen anywhere from 8" width to 14" width. Now my kicker here, is if I'm going through the effort of making a set, I want it to be interchangeable with my sportsman diesel as well. this being said, Lets just figure I'm limited to a 500cc class machine. I'm planning on going 9" wide... will this be enough? Or would it just prove pointless to even run tracks at this point? Also, how bad will it be running without EPS? I'm not afraid of a good workout, but what would I be dealing with here?

Any info is appreciated!!:)
That sounds like one heck of a machining/fabrication job! Can't wait to see how it turns out. I've been a machinist/welder and foreman for over 30 years, I'm sure it is do-able. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts