Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using ratchet straps to secure my Grizz on the trailer but I find that once I hit the bumpy gravel roads the Grizz begins to shift slightly allowing the straps to loosen up. I am considering buying some Erickson ATV E-Track tiedowns to better secure the machine. Are any of you using these and if so what is your opinion of them. Do you strap all 4 wheels or just the front or rear? Here is a link to the product.

ATV WHEEL CHOCK AND TIE-DOWN STRAP KIT « Erickson Manufacturing Ltd.

Thanks

Reactions: okbear

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,663 Posts
I have these installed on my trailer. I bought (2) sets of two so I have all four wheels secured. My reasoning for securing all four wheels was the same as you, I go over very rocky roads and wanted to make sure my Grizz is very secure. I have not tried only securing two wheels so I do not know how well that works but would think it would be fine for standard roads. Other reason being if there are laws in your state for four points of securing a powersports load. I do not know if I need four points here or where I've towed, don't have to worry about it since I do secure four points anyway.

These tie-downs are absolutely great! I can quickly secure all four wheels and feel confident nothing will come loose. Securing via tires, there is no suspension loading and your Grizz will stay put and not budge an inch. I would buy this method of tie-downs again. I bought the two sets via Amazon they were reasonably priced and it looks like pricing is currently reasonable again. BTW, you can buy the same thing at Cabelas that looks to be rebranded.

Reactions: tmyrick1

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
...but I find that once I hit the bumpy gravel roads the Grizz begins to shift slightly allowing the straps to loosen up.
I think those are probably the way to go and will happen on my next longer trailer. In the mean time, there's something guys can do to prevent straps loosening. Don't start ratcheting with all the excess strap pulled out of the spool. Start with plenty of slack in the strap where when you get to the point that the strap is tight, you have several layers of strap on the spool. This prevents (or eliminates) the strap slipping on the spool. Now my biggest problem is breaking straps when they wear out. Now that I think about it, I need to go grab some straps!! lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have two 8' sections of e-track on my trailer and I use the Erickson e-track tire bonnets for each wheel. Works great, only takes a couple of minutes to get it all attached and I don't have to worry about anything coming loose on rough back roads.

E-TRACK ADJUSTABLE TIRE STRAP « Erickson Manufacturing Ltd.

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
What do you guys think of the straps being 2" straight straps, not wheel bonnets?
Wheel bonnets are expensive. I look at these straight straps though, and think "what if they slip"?
I guess if the strap is compressing the tire a bit, they're not likely to slip, even when wet. Thoughts?

·
Grizzled
3,663 Posts
With the straight straps going directly in-line, over the tire, strap connection points also directly in-line, the straps or tires do not move AT ALL. The straps are heavy duty to where at 4-5 PSI, I can compress the tire just slightly and there is no way you could force that tire loose.

I had all the same questions before I went the route of this system. All my fears were completely put to rest once I loaded my Grizz and then pulled the trailer. It is by far the easiest/quickest system to strap down an ATV except for probably something like the LA Guard Dog. But, I can't use a LA Guard Dog with my 9,500 GVWR travel trailer.

Aside from my utility trailer, I also load my Grizz onto my DiamondBack tonneau cover when I pull my travel trailer. I like the Erickson system a lot but will not drill holes in my tonneau to mount the Erickson's on it. I will probably purchase a set of bonnet wheel straps for that. It gets a bit nerve racking looking in my rearview mirror, seeing my Grizz mounted at bed height and moving about somewhat when hitting road bumps using standard straps with suspension loading. Having the Erickson system has me as a big believer in securing the wheels to where they can't move versus securing via an ATV frame.

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
Having the Erickson system has me as a big believer in securing the wheels to where they can't move versus securing via an ATV frame.
I have noticed when moving ORVs forward and backward in my garage that it is MUCH easier to roll the thing a foot forward or backward by grabbing tire lugs than by pushing/pulling the luggage rack. Seems like the wheels have more leverage for making the machine move, or stay put. So I believe the theory of the tire straps, and have never seen anyone say "I tried them and didn't like the stability".

I guess I'll buy some E-Tracks. Maybe a silver lining here will be that it may be easier to load my rigs centered on the trailer this way. I can just line up on the eTrack and I'll be centered. Half the time when I load the trailer, I have to back up and try again to get centered. :)

·
Grizzled
3,663 Posts
Don't start ratcheting with all the excess strap pulled out of the spool. Start with plenty of slack in the strap where when you get to the point that the strap is tight, you have several layers of strap on the spool. This prevents (or eliminates) the strap slipping on the spool.
I have found this to be 100% accurate! I generally try and leave enough strap on the "spool" when loose so by the time I have reached the desired tightness, the spool is completely filled.

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
I have found this to be 100% accurate! I generally try and leave enough strap on the "spool" when loose so by the time I have reached the desired tightness, the spool is completely filled.
I do this to secure the strap tails. Not slipping on the spool is of course helpful, but you only need to make sure you have a couple layers of strap for that.

Reactions: Bearsixty7

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for all the useful information about securing the Grizz on the trailer. I went ahead and ordered 2 sets of the Erickson ATV E-Track tiedowns so I will be able to secure all four wheels. Once you leave the pavement here in Arizona the roads can get pretty rough so I want all the security and peace of mind I can get.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have spent more money on straps over the past 5 years than I care to admit. My 10' trailer just didn't have a good place to hook the straps to that wouldn't eventually start cutting them. The other issue I had was that big road bumps would compress the Griz's suspension enough that sometimes one would come unhooked even if I had the straps tight enough to compress the suspension some.

When I got my new trailer (after adding the Wolverine), the absence of side rails left me a little concerned so I mounted e-track and bought the Erickson wheel bonnets for the Wolvy. That machine has such plush suspension you have a very hard time getting straps to stay hooked on the chassis, so tying down the tires was my best bet. I can see it "floating" in the rear view mirror while driving down the highway when tying down by the wheels.

I also mounted e-track crossways for the Griz. Only one side is installed in the picture and I don't have it quite finished yet for optimum spacing and load balance. In the photo, I have front and rear wheels on one side strapped and two other ratchet straps diagonal underneath for my four points. When I get the rest of the e-track mounted, I'll have bonnets on the rear wheels of both of the big machines and wheel straps on the front wheels.

It takes longer to tie down the Griz 80 with straps than it does to tie down BOTH of the bigger machines using straps and bonnets. When I have it all finished the way I want it, I should be able to load and strap all three machines in under 20 minutes. So far, I'm really liking tying down by the wheels and would make the investment again for sure.

Edit: The little Griz on the front will eventually "grow up" and I don't want to have to re-do all my e-track as the quad gets bigger! The load is pretty nicely balanced with this configuration too. The majority of the weight of the Wolverine is right over the trailer axles and the other two machines create plenty of tongue weight.

Attachments

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Registered
900 Posts
I use Maxx's wheel bonnets, more expensive than a Walmart strap, but my Yamaha's never move!

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
I use Maxx's wheel bonnets, more expensive than a Walmart strap, but my Yamaha's never move!
Super convenient that the tie-down slots in your trailer deck line up perfectly with the stance of the Wolverine too! NICE!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Super convenient that the tie-down slots in your trailer deck line up perfectly with the stance of the Wolverine too! NICE!
The slots are for snowmobile tie down bars and lined up within an inch of the Wolverine tire centers!

Reactions: okbear

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey RedRocket.......What size (diameter) bolts did you you use to mount the e-track chocks to your trailer? I want to have the correct size on hand when mine arrive.

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
Do you even use bolts for eTrack? What I have seen done is just screws. Self-tapping if on a metal surface.
There are SO many screws that it doesn't need to be a bolt-through and nut on the other side thing.
Try separating a 6-inch wide, 4 foot-long strip of Velcro by hand and you'll understand what I mean.

Reactions: lipcurl

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not using the long e-tracks, just the chocks that have 6 holes each for mounting. I am attaching them to 2x8's so I figure bolts would be better. But I could be wrong.

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
Yeah, with only a few holes, and 2x8 wood deck, I would bolt through too.
The holes are 1/4". So 1/4" bolts should fit just fine.

·
Grizzled
3,663 Posts
Oh wow. I forget exactly which size bolts I used but 1/4" or 5/16". I'm thinking 5/16" but I would double check the fit before buying all of them. I also did bolts completely through 2x8 boards used as the decking with a washer, lock washer and then nut.

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts