Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month ago I (impulsively) bought this used enclosed trailer to haul toys in the Winter. It's a 2015 that has only been towed ~300 miles. It came with cheap bias ply tires. The tread is literally like new but they are weather checked pretty badly. The tires need to be replaced and I'm looking for recommendations for replacements. I need 205x75x15's and it seems like opinions on trailer tires are all over the board. Anyone have any positive experiences with specific trailer tires?

Attachments

Reactions: RansomP

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
I've been very pleased with https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/goodyear-endurance/p/32602 (Goodyear Endurance) tires I got at Discount Tire Direct. Goodyear Endurance tires are USA made and a new design by Goodyear which carries a higher speed rating on them than standard ST tires. I have them on my 9500 GVWR dual axle travel trailer. Those aren't the cheapest ST tires you can buy but "you get what you pay for". There also appears to be a $60 rebate on a set of 4 for those right now. I did order through DTD and then paid a minimal amount to have the Discount Tire local shop mount the tires. I also paid to have the tires balanced.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I don't have any tire recommendations, but thats a nice trailer!

Reactions: MNDirtRider

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
X2 on what @RedRocket said, and X2 on what @Vincent said. That is a very nice trailer indeed!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I bought it for a good price - if the tires were not in need of replacement, it would have been a GREAT deal. It's tall enough that I can fit the Wolverine it and used 7' interior units don't come up for sale very often around here. That's why I jumped on it.

I've been looking at all kinds of reviews and forums trying to find good tire info. It seems they all have their issues. The Goodyear's that @RedRocket mentioned seem to perform well according to most. The other tires that I was looking at are Maxxis M8008 that appear to be right up there in quality and price too. I was hoping to find more of a mid-price point tire but I guess I'd pay another $100 not to have to change one along the freeway at night, not to mention replacing a fender if I had a blowout. The Freestar M108 tires on my PJ7710 are 12 years old after 10-12K miles and still in great shape with no weathering whatsoever. It's hard to tell if that model of tire is the same today as it was back in 2006 and I could expect that type of longevity though. They're only $50 each plus installation but somehow it feels like a roll of the dice.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I've had good luck with my Kenda Loadstar tires. I'd go with a radial though, as they're better for longer distances and longevity.

Reactions: MNDirtRider

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I would approach it this way. How much is it worth to have the best tires you can afford on the trailer that is traveling 70+ MPH down a highway hauling the $10,000.00 machine that you have $600.00 worth of tires on that usually don't go over 40 MPH in the dirt? Just my way of thinking. I'm quite jealous of that trailer, LOL!!!!

·
Grizzled
3,662 Posts
... on the trailer that is traveling 70+ MPH down a highway hauling the $10,000.00 machine...
That's definitely something to be aware of that very close to almost all ST (trailer) tires are speed limited to 65mph. Even the Goodyear Marathons ST's I previously had were 65mph limited but I made sure when I bought those they were also USA made. Just after I got my Marathons, Goodyear started having those tires made in China and reports of blowouts started surfacing online. I never had a blowout on my Marathons and yes, many times I towed my trailer at 70-75mph even though I should have been traveling slower.

With Goodyear manufacturing the Endurance tire in the USA and creating a ST tire with a speed rating at 87mph, it was a no brainer for me. Goodyear lost too much credibility with moving production to China on the Marathon tire, they had to do something to regain that credibility in the ST tire market.

Now, I don't travel faster than 70-75mph with my trailer with the Endurance as 75mph is fast enough, but so far, so good.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
I love my Goodyear Endurance tires, glad I chose them and glad I bought them from Discount Tire.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Sometimes I need logical advice instead of trying to save a few bucks. You have convinced me to spring for the Goodyears. My local Discount Tire has them in stock and I need to replace the spare too.

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sorry, a little late to the party.

I honestly have had good luck with loadstar's (Kenda) and GoodYear Marathons and Endurance series. The only tires that ever gave me problems were a set of carslile's.

I usually dont go more than 5 or 6 years on a set, and if the trailer is parked outside I use covers over the tires if it is exposed to direct sunlight.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just pulled back in the driveway with the new Endurance tires installed. Had a matched spare put on too. Out the door was a little over $700 including their extended tire coverage at $15 per tire. The mail-in rebate takes my total to about $650. That's a lot more than I was planning on spending but most of the trips for this trailer are going to be 4+ hour drives.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Tire speed rating is actually a heat rating. Its the heat generated at high speeds that cause a tire to break apart, and the pressure increase caused by that heat. Bias Ply tires are worse because they also generate static charge which heats them even faster creating more heat. If you fill the tires with Nitrogen instead of Air, it drastically reduces the heat generated, and does not expand when heated, raising any tires speed rating by about 40mph.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I just pulled back in the driveway with the new Endurance tires installed. Had a matched spare put on too. Out the door was a little over $700 including their extended tire coverage at $15 per tire. The mail-in rebate takes my total to about $650. That's a lot more than I was planning on spending but most of the trips for this trailer are going to be 4+ hour drives.
Nice!

·
Grizzled
3,662 Posts
I just pulled back in the driveway with the new Endurance tires installed.
Yeah, definitely not the cheapest but the extra $ to get a quality set of ST tires will be worth it. So many marginal ST tires out there and horror stories to be found. Agree with the mention @Silverwolf about the heat. Another mention per heat is to make sure the wheel bearings are greased every year or couple of years based on use.

I didn't mention before but I am really pleased with the way the Endurance tires tow. Yes, it could be a "placebo effect" but I also went from a load rating C to D so the psi went from 65psi to 80psi and that would also play into it. Just seems to tow nicer than before.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Yup, Goodyear Endurance and get them from Discount Tire! That's what I have on my Travel Trailer.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Tire speed rating is actually a heat rating. Its the heat generated at high speeds that cause a tire to break apart, and the pressure increase caused by that heat. Bias Ply tires are worse because they also generate static charge which heats them even faster creating more heat. If you fill the tires with Nitrogen instead of Air, it drastically reduces the heat generated, and does not expand when heated, raising any tires speed rating by about 40mph.
@Silverwolf, I had never looked into the nitrogen vs air question far enough to know about the heat and expansion difference. Makes sense. Great explanation, thanks.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
We like light truck bias tires on our trailers. They seem tougher and last longer.
That makes sense too, never even thought about using light truck tires on a heavier trailer. You can still get bias ply tires for light trucks? Didn't know that either! I thought bias ply tires for light trucks and passenger cars went extinct some time in the 80's, LOL!

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
If they wear unevenly, you can have your trailer axle aligned (or bent appropriately). I was lucky to find a shop here in Atlanta, Ga that did mine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts