Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody trailer with a Toyota four runner? My wife and I are contemplating buying a 2016, v6. One reason, is to use this to trailer out to Colorado. Single axle trailer 12’ and one Grizzly 700.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Don't see you having much issues, for years my only tow vehicle for boats, quads, and sleds was my 1999 Honda Accord.

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,299 Posts
I have not but with:

GVWR of 6100 lbs
Curb weight 4400 lbs
Payload of 1700 lbs
Tow capacity 5000 lbs

You should be completely fine. Some are even towing small travel trailers with 4 Runners which will be a lot worse than a 12' utility trailer with a Grizzly on it. Hopefully the one you're looking at has a tow package that includes the transmission cooler as you will want the cooler.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Should be more than fine. The Kia Sorrento I had was V-6, no tranny cooler, just a added on hitch, I could tow 2 snowmobiles on a clamshell trailer, 2 atv's on a utility trailer, my boat, no problem with any of them. The 4-Runner I think is still truck based frame, not car based like the Kia, so it should handle the load better.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I've towed lots of trailers with V6 minivans and even some smaller ones with my Mazda5 (4 cyl). What I notice the most when towing with the V6 is that they are much more affected by how the trailer fits behind the profile of the vehicle than when I used to be able to drive and tow with a V8 truck. So they do great with 5/ ft wide trailers, and ones short in height. Get much wider and have anything taller than the roof and you REALLY feel it.

·
Premium Member
9,063 Posts
Get a long enough trailer to load the 4 runner on and tow with the Grizz if something breaks.
You may need a heavier secondary spring though. >:):devil:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I've towed lots of trailers with V6 minivans and even some smaller ones with my Mazda5 (4 cyl). What I notice the most when towing with the V6 is that they are much more affected by how the trailer fits behind the profile of the vehicle than when I used to be able to drive and tow with a V8 truck. So they do great with 5/ ft wide trailers, and ones short in height. Get much wider and have anything taller than the roof and you REALLY feel it.
Very true! When I would haul the 2 place clam shell snowmobile trailer, it handled it fine but you could feel it, and the gas milage dropped from 23 MPG to 12 MPG!!

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Deal fell through, no trade. Appreciate the info, anybody price cars lately?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Deal fell through, no trade. Appreciate the info, anybody price cars lately?
Yup, pretty spendy. Around here anyway, the stealers and individuals seem to think Toyota's in particular should command a premium price.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Cars I've towed with:
Infiniti G35 coupe, 6 speed - double-place motorcycle trailer fully loaded plus trunk and back seat floor fully loaded plus 2 adults, 1 child, and 2 dogs. Still got 18mpg and power was not an issue.
Hyundai Sonata (4cyl) - same double-place motorcycle trailer fully loaded plus trunk and back seat fully loaded plus 2 adults and sometimes 1 dog. Again, 18mpg, but car was sluggish.
- 5x8 trailer with Grizzly on it, trunk full. 17-18mpg, car was sluggish.
- 14 ft boat with motor, trunk full and 2 adults. 18mpg, car handled the boat very well.
- 16 ft boat with motor, trunk full and 3 adults. 17mpg, car was sluggish.
Current tow vehicle is basically the same as the 4Runner in question:
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - Same 2 motorcycle trailer as above, truck bad and back seat full, 17mpg. Don't even know the trailer is back there.
- Same ATV trailer as above, truck loaded, 17mpg. Trailer is noticeable but a breeze to tow.
- 20 ft pontoon boat, truck loaded, 4 adults, 2 dogs, 15-17mpg. Truck is sluggish.

One ATV behind a truck - any truck on the market - not a problem.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have towed my Grizzly 708 on a 10 ft trailer with my JKUR many times up and down the mountains and forest trails. You will be fine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If it has the factory tow package with an upgraded or larger transmission cooler, and you don't run it in overdrive while towing, you will be fine. Don't exceed the tow limit. Stay as far under it as you can. I shoot for 75% of rated to give myself a little pad. Run the vin through Toyota to get the build specs. Here's a blog form some folks towing a small travel trailer. Very good info.

Towing A Travel Trailer With a 6 Cyl Toyota 4 Runner? - Trailer Traveler

http://trailertraveler.net/towing-travel-trailer-toyota-4-runner/

I set up my wife's 2000 Tacoma 3.4l v6 5 speed manual with airbags in the rear, brake controller and 7pin plug. Towed 2 place snowmobile trailer with both atv's and snowmobiles. Also a loaded 6x14 enclosed trailer from southern Idaho up the Alcan. It got worked fairy hard at times, but came through like a champ.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here is my rig. 2010 Toyota SR5, 101,000 miles, added a brake controller and air springs in the rear. 2010 R&R trailer "714VDC", ~30,000 miles, all aluminum 2030 Lbs empty. rnrtrailers.com . Can hold 2 full size utility quads or 1 quad and 1 motorcycle. 11-12 MPG with full load ~3200 Lbs.
Everything purchased new in 2010 and trouble free so far.

P1010071.JPG

·
Registered
202 Posts
Anybody trailer with a Toyota four runner? My wife and I are contemplating buying a 2016, v6. One reason, is to use this to trailer out to Colorado. Single axle trailer 12’ and one Grizzly 700.
What did you end up getting, and did you try trailering your Grizzly yet?

Here's the latest rig I towed with my Tacoma. And I just ordered my own trailer the same size as the one pictured and will be towing it regularly with 2 ATVs and camping equipment.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2017 which is exactly like the 2016’s. I tow a grizzly 700 on my single quad trailer and don’t have any issues what so ever. The truck has no problems tackling the mountains of Pennsylvania, New York, and Vermont with that load. Just don’t be afraid to push that skinny pedal. However I do not exceed 65 mph with it. It’s a great truck for towing 1 to 3k. If you ever start getting close to that 4k pounds or more you should look at a Tacoma. But the 4Runner is hands down a better everyday driver (I had a Tacoma prior).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts