Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Fairly new member with a recently purchase 07 Grizzly 700 EPS. Low 600 miles from previous owner who used primarily on his vineyard. I just performed the stator upgrade which I learned from this forum - thank you! Used Yamalube 10W-50 semi synthetic and Yamaha blue coolant to stay true to Yamaha. After firing up, I noticed grinding noise from right side transmission area which was not present prior to stator work. Didn't touch anything there so only thing I could think of is the engine oil? Knocking noise is also heard after engine shut off. Any idea what I did wrong? Don't want to use this for fear of messing something up until I get this figured out... Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
10,646 Posts
My first thought was 'Did you put all tools back in the box'? just a thought:)
Then I thought how much oil did you put back in the engine? just another thought.
For many new owners of the Yamaha C.V.T. system, these things make noise the new are not used to.
I would pull off both side covers and inspect visually for something making the noise, and remover the C.V.T. cover if needed to look for something in there causing a noise, then start the engine for further inspection at idle. If nothing can be found, give're some gas to cycle the primary and watch the belt move to see if it acts like one in this video.

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Did you install a new stator with the up grade? Are you sure that everything is back in its proper place?
Was the stator and the rotor absolutely clean. No debris of any kind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did install a new RM stator along with the external cooling line to complete the upgrade. Followed instructions from this forum, everything seemed to go well. No debris noticed, bike had low miles and ran well prior to take down. Only other thing I did was adjust shifter linkage to obtain smoother shifting. Also noticed after adjustment only Reverse light indicator working, the P, N, H, and L light indicators don't come on. Did not do anything on the right side of engine where grinding noise is noticed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did put in 3 qts of Yamalube 10W-50 semi-synthetic and checked oil dip stick level and is good. This grinding sound was not there before I did the stator upgrade work. I also hear the knocking sound from transmission/right side after I turn off motor. Wondering if I should try different grade of oil but doesn't make sense!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Agree with Ridgeway & Reogem, pull the stator section apart & look for grind marks or foreign bodies, stands to reason, no noise before, do job, now noise after you have worked on the bike, noises can travel & seem to be coming from another area, a length of garden hose placed on the engine covers & in ear can help pinpoint where problem is, it will be the spot that makes the loudest noise.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thank you for your inputs. Will do as recommended and post back what I find out.[/QUOTE

When you installed new cover there is a small bushing that needs to be installed in new cover. Did you install it ? Without it one of the idler gears might grind

I've never been able to find in parts breakdown, but one of the posts list the bushing in their break down. You could also drill a hole in \your old cover and knock the pld bush out. Its very small. Im not good with photo shop other wise I would post a photo of wher it is. If you don't remember install bushing that could be your issue

Reactions: reogem

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
werner.....I think that the bushing is part of the starter clutch/drive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Werner... Thanks for your input. Got me worried there for a bit! Yes I do recall that bushing that needed to be moved to the new cover. I did not see it in the instructions but figured it out since the gears were loose without it, so yes, I did install it in the new cover. No grinding noise noticed on the left side where all the work was done, that's what's bugging me. The grinding noise I hear is coming from the right side cover and there is slight knock upon engine shut off. Almost sounds like no oil is going to right side of motor or wrong oil used but I put in 3 qts. of Yamalube 10W-50. I plan to open it up again this weekend to see if I missed anything, but can't think of anything right now other than the shifter linkage adjustments that I performed to make shifting smoother but caused the gear position lights not to come on except for Reverse. Wondering if that has anything to do with it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
@Ridgeway81432, that's a great video of the CVT in action. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Couple of things to look at, if grinding noise is at idle & is connected to the shift adjustment putting hand pressure forward or back against the gear lever might change the noise leading you to the problem. 3 quarts seems like a lot of oil when the handbook says 2.2 quarts with a filter change, are you pressing the dip stick into the filler spigot or resting it on top to take the reading?(manual says fully in) A video of the problem would help a lot as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All you guys comments were right!! I messed up my stator upgrade job. I failed to tighten the 3 allen bolts securing the stator, they all came loose! The stator was vibrating around there somehow I thought the noise was coming from the right side! It's a good thing I did not ride the bike thinking of causing further damage until I locate what's causing the darn noise. Thanks again to all. Nice group of guys on this forum.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Don't want to rain on your parade...It is recommended to use Locktite on those Allen bolts. Might get lucky...Hopefully you did.

·
Registered
797 Posts
All you guys comments were right!! I messed up my stator upgrade job. I failed to tighten the 3 allen bolts securing the stator, they all came loose! The stator was vibrating around there somehow I thought the noise was coming from the right side! It's a good thing I did not ride the bike thinking of causing further damage until I locate what's causing the darn noise. Thanks again to all. Nice group of guys on this forum.

As Reogem says use locktight( I always prefer red over blue)
Your not the first person or the last to have this happen too.

That's how we all know so much, may of these issues on these forums have happened to all of us.

Were you able to reuse stator or did it get screwed up ? Magnets can get chewed up as well in flywheel.

good that you didn't continue to drive or all those metal grindings would travel through out motor.
Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the locktite tip! I have not put them together as I'm still waiting for a new crankcase gasket to arrive so I can locktite them allen bolts for some security. Feel like a dumbass for this half assed job...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thank you for the locktite tip! I have not put them together as I'm still waiting for a new crankcase gasket to arrive so I can locktite them allen bolts for some security. Feel like a dumbass for this half assed job...
Shouldn't feel too much of a dumbass, you made the decision not to ride it until the problem was solved & that's smart, saved a lot more damage.
Spray something like brake cleaner down screw holes to dissolve any oil, oil & Loctite don't mix, & use a rag or similar twisted up to soak out the cleaner, it will dry out quicker, before using Loctite(1 drop ONLY), Do you know if the stator screws are high tensile?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts