Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reinstalling the transmission and everything goes in fine. My problem is that neutral doesn't seem to be working when I follow the logical order of P R N H L.
- Park is fine. The middle driven gear is blocked and the transmission gears rotate freely.
- Reverse is fine. When I spin the shaft clockwise, the middle driven gear rotates counter clockwise.
- Neutral is NOT fine. Where neutral should be, the transmission gears engage the middle driven gear. Aren't the transmission gears supposed spin freely without engaging the middle driven gear when in neutral?
- High and Low are fine.

Note that I am testing all of this with the cases split. I also put some pressure on the shift fork bar when turning the shift cam so that the forks work with the springs.

I hope all that makes sense.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, I haven't installed the ball and spring that press on the cam yet. Could that have something to do with it?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ha! Nevermind.... That little ball and spring are what give you the position of each gear so yes, it has to be installed when testing the transmission.

I was a bit trigger happy with my question.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A 3 post thread asked and answered by the Op. Is that a first?

·
Registered
269 Posts
1st up I've never been inside these transmissions, but been into plenty of bike transmissions & to properly test gear selection the cases have to be in their "working" position, meaning upright, not having the ball & spring in place adds to the problem, so give it a go w/ball & spring in place & upright, see how it goes, DON'T over tip it, it will end in tears, for some reason I know this :|

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1st up I've never been inside these transmissions, but been into plenty of bike transmissions & to properly test gear selection the cases have to be in their "working" position, meaning upright, not having the ball & spring in place adds to the problem, so give it a go w/ball & spring in place & upright, see how it goes, DON'T over tip it, it will end in tears, for some reason I know this :|
Thanks for the reply. I answered my own question about 15 minutes ago. I installed the shift cam stopper (ball and spring) and everything works fine now.
Actually, everything worked fine before. It's because I couldn't determine where neutral was without the cam stopper in place.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Were a little behind the times down under(or is it in front of the times, I forget) tried to get a word in, butt got shouldered out :grin2:

Reactions: Scorpyon
1 - 7 of 7 Posts