Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 4 years of using a small SUV for towing and hauling, finally back into a pickup truck. I'm 56 years old and have owned a pick up since I was 22. I was dreaming and bumming Saturday morning about all the remote places I used to go in northern Maine that I wouldn't dare to try to go in my Kia Sorrento. ( I know, I know, it was kind of a girly car,LOL) I said, "That's it, I'm looking for a truck". Wife said " Honey, I've been telling you for over a year that we can get a truck". So..there it was, the right year, the right equipment, the right mileage, the right price. A 2017 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4wd. Got $2650 more than we owed on the Kia, drove the Ram home. Gets the same MPG ( 22.3 to 23) as the V-6 AWD Kia did. Awesome. Now I have a bunch of stuff on the way to pimp it out a little, nerf bars, floor mats, seat covers, receiver hitch. Also have some pretty sweet wheels and tires saved in my shopping cart at Discount Tire, but I might have to wait on those. Now I can load the Grizz in the back and still tow my boat. I'm pumped!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
After 4 years of using a small SUV for towing and hauling, finally back into a pickup truck. I'm 56 years old and have owned a pick up since I was 22. I was dreaming and bumming Saturday morning about all the remote places I used to go in northern Maine that I wouldn't dare to try to go in my Kia Sorrento. ( I know, I know, it was kind of a girly car,LOL) I said, "That's it, I'm looking for a truck". Wife said " Honey, I've been telling you for over a year that we can get a truck". So..there it was, the right year, the right equipment, the right mileage, the right price. A 2017 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4wd. Got $2650 more than we owed on the Kia, drove the Ram home. Gets the same MPG ( 22.3 to 23) as the V-6 AWD Kia did. Awesome. Now I have a bunch of stuff on the way to pimp it out a little, nerf bars, floor mats, seat covers, receiver hitch. Also have some pretty sweet wheels and tires saved in my shopping cart at Discount Tire, but I might have to wait on those. Now I can load the Grizz in the back and still tow my boat. I'm pumped!
Congrats on your much needed pick up truck! I've had my Ridgeline for 7 years and simply couldn't get by without my trusty little pick up.

Please post pictures of your new baby!

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just like with the Grizzly, I can suggest plenty o ways to upgrade the RAM if you want, its fun spending other peoples money ;)

When towing I still miss my pickup, but driving around Minneapolis on a daily basis I like having a small SUV. In a perfect world I would have a 6 stall shop and then enough room to keep the Jeep and also a truck...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just like with the Grizzly, I can suggest plenty o ways to upgrade the RAM if you want, its fun spending other peoples money ;)

When towing I still miss my pickup, but driving around Minneapolis on a daily basis I like having a small SUV. In a perfect world I would have a 6 stall shop and then enough room to keep the Jeep and also a truck...
@SavageGrizzly, now a Jeep is a whole different story than a Kia, LOL!!
Righto, if the funds were available, the Ram would be the new Power Wagon, and the "trout fishing rig" would be a Wrangler Willys Edition!!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on your much needed pick up truck! I've had my Ridgeline for 7 years and simply couldn't get by without my trusty little pick up.

Please post pictures of your new baby!
@Vincent, I'll post pics after I get the new goodies put on in a week or so, before and after. If I weren't planning on finishing up re-siding the house this summer, the new wheel/tire combo would already be on the way from DTD, but I've got to think on that a bit more.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Congrats on the new hauler! I'm relieved to know you have the accessories and mod list already in the works. :peace:

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
Hey maine.....don't forget something nice for the wife:) or the new truck may not matter so much.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey maine.....don't forget something nice for the wife:) or the new truck may not matter so much.
@Ridgeway81432, what do you mean, she has me, doesn't she?...LOL!!!
Oh, wifey is fine, she is leaving for a vacation in London very soon for a week with our niece, I've got the upstairs bathroom re-model just about done, I've got all the stuff for the 1st floor bathroom remodel I'll do this winter, etc., etc., etc., etc...........

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Hey Maine congrats on being a pickup man again , you may now have your man card back lol

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats on the new hauler! I'm relieved to know you have the accessories and mod list already in the works. :peace:
@MNDirtRider, yeah, then AFTER I order the regular plain jane gray seat covers, I find frigging Carharrt, Mossy Oak Camo ones!!!!! Damn it!!! "ONLY" $200.00 more!!, Ha, Ha!. I could send these back, but to heck with it. I'll get my real man ones after I wear these out, LOL!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is that the Hemi? Reason I ask is I have the hemi, and the salesman quoted me that mileage, and it wasn't close. I was pretty mad. Lots of power, like that, but the mileage is brutal. I have an 800hp 7.3 powerstroke that gets about the same mileage. I took it in to see if its out of whack, but it was fine. Seems close to quote if I keep it under 2000rpm, really baby it, and don't through anything in the box, or tow my toy hauler, then it plummets large. Awesome truck though. Love all that power in such a light truck.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that the Hemi? Reason I ask is I have the hemi, and the salesman quoted me that mileage, and it wasn't close. I was pretty mad. Lots of power, like that, but the mileage is brutal. I have an 800hp 7.3 powerstroke that gets about the same mileage. I took it in to see if its out of whack, but it was fine. Seems close to quote if I keep it under 2000rpm, really baby it, and don't through anything in the box, or tow my toy hauler, then it plummets large. Awesome truck though. Love all that power in such a light truck.
@Silverwolf ,mine is the 3.6 liter gas V-6. I don't have anything to tow that weighs over 2000 lbs so this one has all the power I need until I retire. It's rated to tow up to 7640 lbs, so I still might get a light camper trailer to get us by the next 6 or 7 years. I'm amazed at the power they are getting out of the V-6's now.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spring gets too busy in the boatbuliding/service world. Finally getting around to posting some pics of the new Ram, etc. First pic is Ram as I bought it. 2nd and 3rd are with running boards, mud flaps, seat covers( can't see those, LOL!) and obviously trailer hitch added, all loaded up and ready to go to Grand Lake Stream for a week vacation of fishing, atv'ing, swimming, etc.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts