Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im building up a 2012 Grizzly 700 and ive got just about everything figured out except the tires. the vehicle is running a 2" Super ATV lift, EPI mudding clutch kit, a 1.5mm shim mod, and Slasher HD max axles so it should be good to go with either of my choices. at the moment ive decided to stick with my stock 12" wheels since its just not in the budget to buy new wheels.

option 1: Outlaw I 29.5x10x12 front and 29.5x12x12 rear (cost $840)

option 2: Silverback 30x10x12 on all four corners (cost $640)

ill be honest, i really like the look of the Silverbacks and the $200 savings would be welcome! but then again i keep hearing how great the outlaws are and the wide rear tires are a pretty big bonus (assuming they fit).

your thoughts?

thank you
-Matt

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
For all-around better performance, the Outlaw is a better tire. It is proven to paddle better in bottomless mud, yet perform just as good in every other muddy condition. Plus, the Outlaws can be trail ridden. The Silverbacks will rattle your teeth loose on trails.

But after saying that, $200 in savings is quite a difference. That's a 25% difference in price. Thats big. Is the extra trail riding comfort worth that much to you? That's up to you to decide.

As much as I love the Outlaws and the Highlifter company, I'd probably go with the Silverbacks in your situation. That's a big savings.

In my opinion, highlifter might be pricing themselves out of market. In eastern Canada right now, I can get Silverbacks for just under $1000 taxes included. For Outlaws, it's almost $1600.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Silverbacks ride really rough on the trails , I've never rode Outlaws. Like Dezz said the price vs. how much trail riding you do should be the deciding factors. Maybe someone that has had both will chime in.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
To me, it's worth paying more now and probably getting much more use, and flexibility out of these tires for many years to come. Just my 0.02$

·
Registered
167 Posts
I put on 28x9x12 mega mayhems good all around smoth on trail and good in the goo. I like the idea of same size for roatating front to back for increased life span. Get the tires you think will do you best they last quite a while so ride them and enjoy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not too concerned about trail use for the mud tires, I have a Polaris 570 Ace for general trail riding (I love my Ace!). the Grizzly would really only see the trails/roads between mud/water holes. if I was going to use the grizzly for any serious trail riding I would swap the tires in order not to wear down the expensive mud tires.

another option would be to buy a full tire/wheel set from mud-throwers. I could get a set of Silverbacks 30x9x14/30x11x14 already mounted on STI wheels for $1000. this would be nice as it would leave me my OEM wheels to run some cheap trail tires for those times I need a second trail vehicle.

-matt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put on 28x9x12 mega mayhems good all around smoth on trail and good in the goo. I like the idea of same size for roatating front to back for increased life span. Get the tires you think will do you best they last quite a while so ride them and enjoy
I admit I hadn't given the mayhem series tires much thought till your post. the monster mayhem tires look pretty mean and may be a viable option if I decide to use this machine for trail riding more often. I imagine 30x10x14 monster mayhems on all corners would do ok in most situations but I'm unsure of how they would compete with outlaws or silverbacks in the deep stuff. the price on the monster mayhems is certainly a lot more appealing!

-matt

·
Registered
277 Posts
Outlaws. If your going to be keeping them on for a while spend the extra loot. Theyre the best. Tires arent where you should be making sacrifices and play the most signicant role wether youll make it through a hole along with rider experience. Fuel contollers, exhuast not near as important as knowing how to ride and having the best tires underneath you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts