Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2014 700 Camo eps 25 hours, then sold my trusted 2003 660.

The 660 had a center frame mounted Eagle 5" plow. The 700 has a front mounted 5" warn plow.

The 700 has Blackwater 27 x 11 r12 , 27 x 9 r12 tires with a preformance clutch installed while the 660 had original tires.

Comparing the 2 set ups the 660 was at better snow plowing, sit lower and less tippy in the woods.

Most of the difference is due to the tall tires. The larger tires don't seem to have as much traction for plowing. Got stuck in 6" snow with the 700, don't think 660 wouldn't have been.

Also the Warn Plow when in the max angle position does not scrape well especially in turns on my S turn drive.

So what I thought to be a nice upgrade PS, EFI front plow etc has turned not equal to what i had.

Comments

·
Premium Member
7,924 Posts
The 2014 700 is wider that the 660. So it seems that the tire height is was give you the feeling the the 700 is more tippy. I had tall tires on both the 660 and a 2013 700 the 700. I felt that the 700 was more stable.

Blackwater tires are not good in snow.

Have you adjusted the plow blade angle on the 700? May need angle back some.
Is the wear bar worn out?

A friend use to custom build ATV plows. He believed that the mid point mount was better than front mount for pushing snow. The disadvantage was how high the plow could be lifted compared to the front mount.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks i forgot about adjusting the angle of the plow. It isn't worn out actually shows no wear at all. Seems like when I got to the max angle in either direction the inside of the plow leaves snow on the drive.

Yea I'm not happy with the Blackwater Tires in the snow. Also my chains won't fit the 27" tires and I'm not sure I would want chains on with those deep lugs.

My 660 with standard tries and if needed rear chains was amazing.

It may just take a while to adjust to the 700.

I will look at the plow vertical angle.
Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
I just did @10" of snow left over from a few days ago, using a 708 with a mid-width plow (cycle country) that I have had for 20 years and no problems at all...I came from a 04 660 with the same plow. The 660 was great but found that EPS and additional HP is really an improvement.

Using OEM tires with rear chains and about 100 lbs on the rear rack has been my best receipt for plowing.

I have driven a Polaris with huge knobby tires and it was unstable, I wonder besides the front mount it could be tires...would a little weight on the plow help ? .....6" of snow is nothing on my mountain.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Thanks i forgot about adjusting the angle of the plow. It isn't worn out actually shows no wear at all. Seems like when I got to the max angle in either direction the inside of the plow leaves snow on the drive.

Yea I'm not happy with the Blackwater Tires in the snow. Also my chains won't fit the 27" tires and I'm not sure I would want chains on with those deep lugs.

My 660 with standard tries and if needed rear chains was amazing.

It may just take a while to adjust to the 700.

I will look at the plow vertical angle.
Thanks
The front mount plows take more adjusting and tuning for angles and such, because their push tubes are inherently shorter and they mount from up higher. And they are especially more sensitive to the height change from oversized tires. Keep working at it; you'll figure it out.

I just did @10" of snow left over from a few days ago, using a 708 with a mid-width plow (cycle country) that I have had for 20 years and no problems at all...I came from a 04 660 with the same plow. The 660 was great but found that EPS and additional HP is really an improvement.

Using OEM tires with rear chains and about 100 lbs on the rear rack has been my best receipt for plowing.

I have driven a Polaris with huge knobby tires and it was unstable, I wonder besides the front mount it could be tires...would a little weight on the plow help ? .....6" of snow is nothing on my mountain.
The Polaris AWD is inherently unstable when used while plowing. Because the front tires only receive power when the machine senses the rear wheels slipping. So while plowing, the front wheels are going in and out of having power while pushing.

Reactions: reogem

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
The front mount plows take more adjusting and tuning for angles and such, because their push tubes are inherently shorter and they mount from up higher. And they are especially more sensitive to the height change from oversized tires. Keep working at it; you'll figure it out.

The Polaris AWD is inherently unstable when used while plowing. Because the front tires only receive power when the machine senses the rear wheels slipping. So while plowing, the front wheels are going in and out of having power while pushing.

Gee had never thought of that, makes sense. Make me happier to have the Grizz.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tilted the the plow back to the 2nd position.
Scrapes much better now, still spins when I push against the hard packed snow banks.

Thanks for the tip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts