Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at upgrading my 2011 Grizz 700 to 14" SS212 wheels and 29" or 27" Dirt Commander tires. I know I will lose bottom end and am looking at 1.5 shim with a purple spring. Will this be enough to bring back the quad to usable power levels with a HMF performance exhaust and fuel optimizer. I trail ride and will occasionally hit the mud hole.

·
Premium Member
10,621 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
The shim mod will help with either tire size, and go further with the 27" tires, but I don't know the true diameter of these tires.
It's a percentage thing between the increase in tire size verses the increase in pulley ratio by the shim. The heavier spring is to prevent belt slip from the magnification of the pulley ratio by adding the shim.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Is there any advantage of going 29" tires over 27" besides the 1" gain in ground clearance?
Check the true tire size for what you’re considering. Many run short and some run tall. This can vary between different tire sizes of the same make and model. You might check mudthrowers.com. Also consider that the smaller the vehicle, the more dramatic the effect of a 1” increase in ride height. 1” on a truck is nothing compared to 1” on a quad. See what you would end up with by pulling your machine up on 1” (or whatever) blocks and jump on to see what you’d be looking at from behind the handlebars. I went from 25” stockers which truly run 24” to 26” Bighorns which truly run 26.5”. So, a 2.5” increase in tire size and 1.25” increase in ride height. I wouldn’t want it any taller for stability purposes during spirited trail riding. But then again, I’m not a big mud rider. I don’t avoid it but I don’t go looking for it either.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Why 14" wheels for trail riding? I trail ride and I'll say that 25-27 inch tire on a 12" rim will provide the best ride with the least amount of mods. The 14" wheels look great, however the 12" allows more sidewall to add to the comfort of the ride.
I'd recommend go 12" and pick your size up to 27" before any mods and I do agree with the guys above me on the true size of wheels and mods. I couldn't keep up with a 660 on my 700 before I was skooled, ha, by the guys above me. It's a Holistic machine that can be much more fun when your figure out how all of the parts work together.
Good luck

Reactions: okbear

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Why 14" wheels for trail riding? I trail ride and I'll say that 25-27 inch tire on a 12" rim will provide the best ride with the least amount of mods. The 14" wheels look great, however the 12" allows more sidewall to add to the comfort of the ride.
I'd recommend go 12" and pick your size up to 27" before any mods and I do agree with the guys above me on the true size of wheels and mods. I couldn't keep up with a 660 on my 700 before I was skooled, ha, by the guys above me. It's a Holistic machine that can be much more fun when your figure out how all of the parts work together.
Good luck
Agreed. Other than bling, there’s no real reason for 14” wheels on an atv for trail use. Tires + shocks = your suspension package. Taking away tire for wheel is taking away from your overall suspension. Don’t get me wrong... many guys do this and are fine with it. But my preference leans toward all day riding comfort instead of bling. And remember that those wheels and tires will all be the same color at the end of the day, anyway. I recently sold a Griz with 14” wheels and 26” Radial Reptiles. I didn’t care for how it handled regardless of how I adjusted the preload on the shocks. Now if you’re going with ridiculously large tires, I say knock yourself out. It ain’t gonna matter much at that point anyhow, IMO. Your other option is aftermarket shocks set up for your wheels, tires and other factors. That option is $$expensive$$.

Reactions: Hammerhead

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Aftermarket shocks = Elkas. Okbear is not allowed to say that word although his gofundmyelka.com has .02424 cents in it, ha. Unless you plan on ripping for days on end at high speeds, ignore the aftermarket comment, ha. A Grizzly sitting on stock shocks in a garage is sad, just not as sad a Grizzly sitting in a garage with Elka's, ha. Happier on the trail, absolutely, sitting in a garage, really sad.
You're good to go, rip it up, and be safe.

Reactions: okbear

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
x3 on what @okbear and @Hammerhead said. They steered me in this direction when I was deciding how to go with wheels/tires and boy am I glad I listened to them! My Kenda's actually measure 25.875" in height installed on the Grizz. It's amazing how many rocks and stumps I can clear now that I used to have to go around. The stockers true height installed was 24.375" The "roll out" on the new Kenda's is 82", + or- .125" or so. I did some much more careful measuring and had not updated my data. The 1.5mm shim and Epi purple spring will be going in soon, and I am stoked.

·
Registered
800 Posts
x3 on what @okbear and @Hammerhead said. They steered me in this direction when I was deciding how to go with wheels/tires and boy am I glad I listened to them! My Kenda's actually measure 25.875" in height installed on the Grizz. It's amazing how many rocks and stumps I can clear now that I used to have to go around. The stockers true height installed was 24.375" The "roll out" on the new Kenda's is 82", + or- .125" or so. I did some much more careful measuring and had not updated my data. The 1.5mm shim and Epi purple spring will be going in soon, and I am stoked.
Stoked. You are going to love it! Power delivery is instant and plenty there when you want it. Just don't go popping wheelies now. It's kinda hard not to do when you get "spirited" lol!

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So GBC now makes the Dirt Commander in a 28-12 tire. I've read that they do run on the small side any where from 1.25 to .75 shorter than advertised.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after looking at GBC's website the OD of the 27-12 tires are running near 27.75. I think this is the route that I'm going to go and then add the 1.5 shim with purple spring and exhaust

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Sounds like you are on a great route and you'll enjoy the ride. The shim and spring definitely a go to mod for under $40 bucks. You'll be fine with your stock exhaust with the mods and you can use the money to go ride. Is your stock exhaust rusted out or are you looking for hp out of an exhaust? My personal opinion is, get the tires, go for a ride and see how you like it. If you feel like it is bogging, then add the spring, shims, and service the clutch and go for another ride. If you still feel like you need more, then check back here. We can help with nickel and dime suggestions before you throw Benjamins at it.
Good luck

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wanted a deeper note out of the exhaust, but I think I'm just going to leave it stock. I just want to focus just on the ride right now, it's a 2011 that I bought new in 2011, it's still sitting at 22 hours. Barely even broken in (many reasons on why), I just want to be able to go out and enjoy the ATV without having the tires be the weakest link. I hate the stock Dunlops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts