Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 18 grizzly 700 2 weeks ago and I'm 85 miles into the break in. The oil level was mid crosshatch last time I checked it (45 miles), as it was when I purchased it. Checked it today before riding behind the house and it's barely below crosshatch. I've basically been trail riding and not really abusing it at all, is this normal? Should I add oil or just go ahead and do the 100 mile change now and keep a eye on the level?

·
Registered
370 Posts
How long did you wait after stopping the engine before checking the oil?
If you check it right after stopping the engine, it will mark low. I wait a few minutes.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would get some gold plugs, magnetic drain plugs, from goldplug.com, change your oil(a few miles either way won't hurt) & filter, I always put oil in the filter before fitting & let it soak in, run it & check oil level as per manual instructions & keep an eye on it, check it the same way at all the oil checks, sometimes there can be an oil lock in the motor/oil filter that won't clear for a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long did you wait after stopping the engine before checking the oil?
If you check it right after stopping the engine, it will mark low. I wait a few minutes.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
I checked it a few minutes after I pulled it around to the shop and it was well below. I had the same hunch about checking too soon after just turning it off. Went back and posted above. I was really freaking out beings this is my first atv. It still used some oil so I figure that this little that has been used is normal?

Guipago, Will do I appreciate it. I take care of things maintenance wise, which is why this got me worried.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Id call the dealer. Still under warranty. Shouldn't use any oil. Should be full or same level every time you check it and change it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have an early 2016 Grizzly. I was very easy on it for the first 1,000 miles, rarely getting into the 2nd half of the throttle. I was concerned that after every ride of 60-90 miles, the oil was down a bit on the dip stick, sometimes almost 1/2 way down after a long ride. I was aware of the 2016 valve guide problem. There was never any smoke. After about 1,200 miles, the oil burning quit. I rarely have to add oil now--I have 2,400 miles on it. I think the rings were slow to seat in the cylinder as I never used a lot of throttle. I had a similar experience with my Honda XR400.

As mentioned, I would certainly notify the dealer for documentation. I would change the oil as instructed in the owner's book. If it does not smoke, I suspect this oil-burning is related to break-in.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Totally agree Dogwood, I've seen that happen on a lot of new/rebuilt bike motors, oil being used, no smoke, then poof! no more oil usage.
Creekbottom don't be concerned about oil usage just yet, do the oil change & monitor the oil level, see how it pans out, by all means bring up your concerns with the service manager where you bought the bike, if you want to do more oil changes than the manual says, go for it!

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly 700
144 Posts
Id call the dealer. Still under warranty. Shouldn't use any oil. Should be full or same level every time you check it and change it.

Buddy of mine with a 2017 and 2.000 miles just got the motor fixed under warranty at the dealer, he was refilling oil often. According to the dealer this is not normal. I have the same machine and approx same mileage and never refilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I checked it a few minutes after I pulled it around to the shop and it was well below. I had the same hunch about checking too soon after just turning it off. Went back and posted above. I was really freaking out beings this is my first atv. It still used some oil so I figure that this little that has been used is normal?

Guipago, Will do I appreciate it. I take care of things maintenance wise, which is why this got me worried.
It will show lower readings after you start it than shut it off shortly after, change your oil, what oil are you using? mine went down on oil but I was using o-w30 semi changed to 5-w30 yamalube oil usage stopped and has been great ever since, you could use 10-w40 yamalube also especially if you are in a warmer climate, always check first thing before you start it after sitting all night for best reading, you are still in the break in period, unless its filling your garage full of smoke on first start up I would not be to worried, see what your dealer has to say,... oh yeah, make sure you note that you brought this to the dealer attention... just to be safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to the dealer got yamalube 10w40 and filter and changed the oil tonight. It never smokes and runs fine. They said it could occur because the break in oil is lighter weight and to keep a eye on the level from this change forward.

Dogwood, I’ve been cutting trails and trimming existing trails so not alot of riding past 1/4 throttle with some 1/2 throttle pulls and letting off shortly afterwards. I rode Tuesday for 15 miles and thats really the first time I rode it with some purpose (not abusing it) and thats when it used the oil.
I’m happy with it, hopefully it corrects itself.

Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Went to the dealer got yamalube 10w40 and filter and changed the oil tonight. It never smokes and runs fine. They said it could occur because the break in oil is lighter weight and to keep a eye on the level from this change forward.

Dogwood, I’ve been cutting trails and trimming existing trails so not alot of riding past 1/4 throttle with some 1/2 throttle pulls and letting off shortly afterwards. I rode Tuesday for 15 miles and thats really the first time I rode it with some purpose (not abusing it) and thats when it used the oil.
I’m happy with it, hopefully it corrects itself.

Thanks everyone
Please keep us updated, thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts